User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User m0aur
(member) Sun 04-Sep-11 19:27:13
Print Post

Re: Giving Plusnet a Try!

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by Zadeks:
Tell me how ISP email is superior to 3rd party webmail.
Webmail is a total PITA when used in isolation.

As an additional feature allied to either POP3 with for example 30 days retention, or IMAP, both with local security copying, it is occasionally useful.

As for the idea of letting google or Microsoft store all your emails for ever, even after you delete them, .... frown

You refer to many here as "gramps". Perhaps growing out of naivety and trust in large corporations is something you will do in time.

I gave up trusting large corporations, when Microsoft guessed the expiry date of my new credit card and stole another years subscription to Hotmail, even though the premium service was unwanted as not useable in the new OS.

Standard User cavillas
(knowledge is power) Sun 04-Sep-11 19:30:07
Print Post

[re: MadMan] [link to this post]

Oh dear the nasty Google Mail man will coma and kidnap me or do something dastardly to me in the night. By the way cookise are easily disposed of and I have never had any adverts or other nasties since I bwgan my Gmail account from the very beginning of gmail. I also use Hotmail and again have never had any problems that were not sorted very quickly.

Too many people arefar too paranoid and not in cotrol of their own lives and computers and it's time they learnt how to sorth it all out.

I have been around computers since the early 70's and the internet since its inception and so far NO company has come after me or interfered with my emails or life.

Alf
------------------------------------
smile IDNET Happiness Online smile
I am in no way employed or connected with IDnet other than as a customer.

There are 11 kinds of people, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who don't care.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 04-Sep-11 19:51:17
Print Post

[re: cavillas] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cavillas:
Oh dear the nasty Google Mail man will coma ....

Too many people arefar too paranoid and not in cotrol of their own lives and computers and it's time they learnt how to sorth it all out.

I have been around computers since the early 70's and the internet since its inception and so far NO company has come after me or interfered with my emails or life.
You have no control whatsoever over what Google or Microsoft do. What you do on your own computer is completely irrelevant.

If you want paranoia, how long do you think it will be before anyone applying for a visa for the US will have their full google/hotmail email history, (including contents), vetted by the CIA? Of course, having nothing to hide, and never having emailed any criticism of anybody in the US, that doesn't matter to any of us tongue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User m0aur
(member) Sun 04-Sep-11 20:38:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
You have no control whatsoever over what Google or Microsoft do. What you do on your own computer is completely irrelevant.

Exactly. Everything anyone has ever done on the web is there for good, you cannot erase it thanks to the likes of Google. They do far more than actively scan the contents of every email you send. Only a fool would use their real name & main email address unless they were really forced. Thanks to the likes of Facebook, the phone book and streetview we can look into the window of anyone's lounge. It is so easy to steal an identity.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cavillas&ie=utf-8&o... Not another coffin-dodger ··· AND a mugshot. That's sorted the passport!!

Edited by m0aur (Sun 04-Sep-11 20:43:58)

Standard User cheshire_man
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 04-Sep-11 20:54:42
Print Post

To be fair my email address never changes and I use my ISP's email services, but no one uses, or even knows, my ISP email address.

Tony
Standard User m0aur
(member) Sun 04-Sep-11 21:58:43
Print Post

[re: cavillas] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cavillas:

You have been lucky. Dear old Google still throws up the fact, that your email address was [email protected] when you posted on the pcreview site on the 24th Feb 2005!

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 04-Sep-11 22:12:15
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
To be fair my email address never changes and I use my ISP's email services, but no one uses, or even knows, my ISP email address.
That just confuses the issue, which doesn't help anyone.

The fact any of us with non-ISP mail hosting can use the ISP's SMTP server, or equally non-ISP mail can be forwarded to the ISP's POP3/IMAP server for the user to pick up, or any similar variation on these, is absolutely and completely nothing to do with the discussion. As you well know.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User cheshire_man
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 04-Sep-11 22:25:41
Print Post

Sorry, why does it confuse?

I have a public email address, let's say tony (at) letters.com and people use that to send me emails, and emails from me appear to come from that email address. However that email address actually is handled by a redirection system somewhere in the world which auto-forwards it, on my instruction, to my current ISPs emaill address. I then get my emails from my ISP's email servers. When I send emails they go from my ISPs email server but have the from and reply to addresses of tony (at) etc.

I've had that set up for around 15 years and it's never caused a problem or let me down. If I change ISP 9I've done it but not very often) I just log in to the redirection handler and change the routing.

It's never caused problems with ISP mail servers and certainly doesn't cause problems with anyone who sends me emails or receives them. And my public email address hasn't changed since I set this up in the mid-1990s.

Tony
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sun 04-Sep-11 22:25:54
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zadeks:
Zen just works (1 month contract).
IDNet just works (1 month contract).
Be* just works (3 month contract).

The service is good and the user is free to leave if they're unhappy.

Plusnet works well. (1 month contract). I can echo the last line of your post regarding Plusnet too, and they don't charge as much as the examples given.Webmail with them too (although that's just accessing the ISP account). I've never heard anyone suggest g-mail or similar to be better than ISP e-mail accounts before. Prolly because it's not true.

Not sure why you brought up age, but if it matter to you, your posting style is rather typical of a sub-16 year old. So is this a m0aur thing, a Plusnet thing, or a trolling thing?

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

All Connection Data ~ plusnet
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 04-Sep-11 22:55:41
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
Sorry, why does it confuse?

I have a public email address, let's say tony (at) letters.com and people use that to send me emails, and emails from me appear to come from that email address. However that email address actually is handled by a redirection system somewhere in the world which auto-forwards it, on my instruction, to my current ISPs emaill address. I then get my emails from my ISP's email servers. When I send emails they go from my ISPs email server but have the from and reply to addresses of tony (at) etc.

I've had that set up for around 15 years and it's never caused a problem or let me down. If I change ISP 9I've done it but not very often) I just log in to the redirection handler and change the routing.

It's never caused problems with ISP mail servers and certainly doesn't cause problems with anyone who sends me emails or receives them. And my public email address hasn't changed since I set this up in the mid-1990s.
I think that is what I just described in a lot less words. It is totally irrelevant to the discussion for the OP about the merits and demerits of using ISP-independent email.

If you are talking about something which is totally free, then fine - give some detail, not enigmatic bumph. You are clearly in favour of non-ISP email addresses, and the fact your reliance on your ISP's POP/SMTP servers has not caused you any trouble using your method isn't much use to the OP who has now had trouble with those from two ISPs.

The simpler and better way is external POP/IMAP/SMTP servers, which even eliminates the need to alter a re-direction on ISP migration.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to