User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | [13] | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bemused_Mike
(member) Mon 31-Oct-11 18:49:59
Print Post

Re: Worth a punt?

[re: ConorMK] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ConorMK:
Currently on a fibre extra pro connection connected at 37mb down and 8 up.

Nice. smile Wish I could give fibre a go.

In reply to a post by ConorMK:
Customer support has been there when i needed them and have always been very helpful.

I'm glad you've had that kind of experience with them. The thing is for every comment like yours there is one like the following:-

In reply to a post by 4M2:
However I must confess that I haven't been very impressed with Plusnet support recently: it would be good if just a small team of people handled one's problem rather than having a ticket dealt with by a multitude of people - never seem to communicate with the same person twice frown

Such contradictory experiences certainly don't help my indecision, although such info is good to know and I'm grateful for it.

However when you take into account poor m0aur's tale of woe, which I have been following with interest, I'm left feeling very weary of Plusnet.

Plusnet seem to be one of those 'suck it and see' kind of ISP's. I feel as if signing up with them would be taking a real gamble. So am I willing to risk it? Hmm...I still don't know.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 31-Oct-11 18:56:49
Print Post

[re: Wagstaff] [link to this post]

I often use "throughput" speed to distinguish it from sync/connection speed, as quite a few newcomers (understandably) don't know the difference. I've just run a BT Speed Test to check, and that does call it "Download speed", which is fair enough. Mine doesn't show the connection/sync speed, being FTTC.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User MadMan
(knowledge is power) Mon 31-Oct-11 19:03:05
Print Post

[re: Bemused_Mike] [link to this post]

Don't worry. Plusnet support is fine. m0aur's only happy when he can have a moan.

plusnet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adslmax
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 31-Oct-11 19:18:13
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
All this stuff about 8Mb estimates is irrelevant. You are on ADSL2+, you are syncing at 14747k, your IP profile should be around 12977k so you should be getting maximum download speeds of probably around 12Mb, unless Plusnet has your profile set to a lower figure for some reason (check at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer... under Current line speed).

Incorrect

Sync 14747 -> IP Profile 13011 -> PN IP 13000 -> throughput between12000 to 12500 on any site speedtest except BT Speedtester throughput between 11000 to 11500

BT profile is 88.23%

plusnetADSL2+15 Meg

Edited by adslmax (Mon 31-Oct-11 19:22:24)

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Mon 31-Oct-11 19:30:19
Print Post

Interestingly, O2 comes out ahead of Plusnet across the three criteria.

Probably due to the fact that O2 also provide a LLU service which inflates it's ranking, Plusnet don't have any LLU provision AFAIK smile

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User m0aur
(committed) Mon 31-Oct-11 19:31:30
Print Post

[re: Bemused_Mike] [link to this post]

@Bemused_Mike
I think you are correct that PN are a hit & miss service. Possibly you are a lucky person, I am not. A thousand boxes in a shop and I will choose the faulty item.
As I said earlier, the five day maximum claimed by PN to lift the upload cap took over eight days.
As for me moaning, I only moan when I have reason. Also I don't suffer fools gladly, and you will always meet one on a forum that would dispute it being dark at midnight.
You have read some of the claims about me and the Post Office. Please read through my comments on the following thread, this gives my views upon switch-over from the P.O, and details my utter nightmare from the word go with Plusnet. Read it all, as you will see the usual ones pop in, plus the initial helpful customer services lose track.
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/t/4036881-g...

Fora - Where everybody knows everything - Everyone else knows nothing!

Edited by m0aur (Mon 31-Oct-11 20:00:42)

Standard User 4M2
(committed) Mon 31-Oct-11 19:34:22
Print Post

[re: MadMan] [link to this post]

MadMan,

Just don't have an unresolved open ticket that for some reason PN support have classified as resolved that you can not access it any more in order to add further comments regarding a continuing fault. Then the only course of action is open a new ticket and begin the whole process again. However because the original ticket has been mysteriously passed back to the faults team by a member of support staff due to it being reported as unresolved (and is still inaccessible by the user) one is told not to add further comments to the new ticket because it may cause confusion.

Who is the most confused here confused
Standard User Wagstaff
(committed) Mon 31-Oct-11 19:54:49
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I often use "throughput" speed to distinguish it from sync/connection speed, as quite a few newcomers (understandably) don't know the difference. I've just run a BT Speed Test to check, and that does call it "Download speed", which is fair enough. Mine doesn't show the connection/sync speed, being FTTC.

I've also just done a BT performance test, and the first part of the test does refer to "download throughput speed" - and this figure, strangely enough, did equate to the "downstream IP Profile".
This was also true for the upload throughput and upstream IP profile.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Wagstaff

"You can't be optimistic if you have a misty optic."
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 31-Oct-11 21:26:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by Wagstaff:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:

I've also just done a BT performance test, and the first part of the test does refer to "download throughput speed" - and this figure, strangely enough, did equate to the "downstream IP Profile".
This was also true for the upload throughput and upstream IP profile.
I'm not sure whether you are agreeing with me or disagreeing smile.

In particular it says "configured download throughput speed for this service is ...", which it has always been and which has always been the IP Profile. Quite logical really, just why the Project Manager didn't make both teams/programmers use the words IP Profile we shall never know.

Most relevant posts by me have now been archived, I several times told this to people who could not get the test itself to complete, as usually it was the IP Profile we needed. I do mention it in:-

this one though;
and this;
Finally Ah! Precisely what I was looking for.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User kasg
(committed) Mon 31-Oct-11 22:01:53
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
In reply to a post by kasg:
All this stuff about 8Mb estimates is irrelevant. You are on ADSL2+, you are syncing at 14747k, your IP profile should be around 12977k so you should be getting maximum download speeds of probably around 12Mb, unless Plusnet has your profile set to a lower figure for some reason (check at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer... under Current line speed).

Incorrect

Sync 14747 -> IP Profile 13011 -> PN IP 13000 -> throughput between12000 to 12500 on any site speedtest except BT Speedtester throughput between 11000 to 11500

BT profile is 88.23%
OK, I used 88% instead of 88.23%, my mistake. In actual fact m0aur confirmed that the PN profile was set to 12000, though this may now have increased.

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | [13] | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to