User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cajef
(experienced) Wed 19-Oct-11 15:50:38
Print Post

Re: Worth a punt?

[re: m0aur] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by m0aur:
Well I had TWO more emails yesterday alone! Part of one below. Offering line speed all day for an extra fiver is as I said, more about money that fair shares for all in my book.

Well as your initial posts in this thread where complaints about unwanted emails, it is difficult to understand how things have become twisted when relying to them, it seems that the only forum oik is the one that has now changed his complaint completely, judging by the tone of your replies it appears some people don't want help or advice.

PlusNet ADSL2+
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Standard User m0aur
(member) Wed 19-Oct-11 15:58:44
Print Post

PN regularly try for the extra fiver from me, which proves the whole thing is more about money than ensuring everyone has a usable service.

I will reply to myself before replying to ignorance. I see no mention of "Unwanted" emails, simply a statement that traffic shaping can go to hell if you cross their palms with a fiver.

Edited by m0aur (Wed 19-Oct-11 16:59:48)

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Oct-11 17:12:09
Print Post

It's just a pity they cannot follow the crowd and detail the actual call length for calls of less than a minute, instead of listing them all as exactly 1 minute duration.

I didn't realise that and I agree that in this day and age it shouldn't be a problem listing the actual call length in seconds for calls under a minute.

Alastair

omadasafisho

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User m0aur
(member) Wed 19-Oct-11 17:49:19
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Apprentice:
It's just a pity they cannot follow the crowd and detail the actual call length for calls of less than a minute, instead of listing them all as exactly 1 minute duration.

I didn't realise that and I agree that in this day and age it shouldn't be a problem listing the actual call length in seconds for calls under a minute.

Yes, everyone else details call duration for all call lengths. Per minute billing and 14 or 15p connection charge is the way of the world now, which works out at 24p for a very quick call. There are many altenatives without connection charges and some payg mobiles that only charge 3p any network, or sipgate 1p per minute, so the writing may well be on the wall for standard landline calls.

Standard User Bemused_Mike
(regular) Thu 20-Oct-11 17:31:41
Print Post

[re: reserved] [link to this post]

Many thanks to all for the further replies and links. smile I really appreciate all this help.

In reply to a post by camieabz:
If you want no management, spend an extra fiver per month for the 'Pro' option (basically your package choice with no management / extra priority).

Hmm...the 'Pro' option with the 'value' packages pricing would be better. wink

PN regularly try for the extra fiver from me, which proves the whole thing is more about money than ensuring everyone has a usable service.

May I ask what Plusnet package you are on? In what way is your service not 'usable' as you say?

But, it is no more shifty than marking a phone call of a few seconds as lasting one minute to disguise the fact thet per-second billing has gone out of the window. Not very "Honest" in my book.

Thanks for making me aware of this because I was also considering one of Plusnet's phone packages too. Such little details are good to know.
Standard User Wagstaff
(committed) Thu 20-Oct-11 18:25:25
Print Post

[re: ash76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ash76:
Ad hoc comments from a self selecting group are helpful.
But this ThinkBroadband tool is invaluable:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/compare.html

It looks like Plusnet is the best of the worst - but the TBB bar charts don't show "value-for-money".
It's a great shame that this factor is not included.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Wagstaff

"You can't be optimistic if you have a misty optic."
Standard User m0aur
(member) Thu 20-Oct-11 19:34:41
Print Post

[re: Bemused_Mike] [link to this post]

@Bemused_Mike
I have not said that my service is not usable, though I am finding the Extra service with only a 60g limit a bit of a joke in this iPlayer age. An update to Lion 10.7.2 and a couple of Appstore apps used 3gb yesterday alone. I am also fed up with my IP profile being slowed.
Back to what I did say, and that was that the excuse for traffic shaping is that it gives a fair service for all, which is a roundabout way of saying you will make do with X amount of bandwidth between you. My point was, that if you cross their palms with a fiver for the pro service, you can have linespeed 24/7, which is going to squeeze others, which is why I said it was more about money than ensuring bandwidth for all.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 20-Oct-11 20:53:28
Print Post

My point was, that if you cross their palms with a fiver for the pro service, you can have linespeed 24/7, which is going to squeeze others, which is why I said it was more about money than ensuring bandwidth for all.
A good point. The original Pro, as a standalone product, did have a 20GB limit of course. Done that way, it achieved the claimed aim. Full speed and low latency for gaming, and no real impact on the rest.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Bemused_Mike
(regular) Thu 20-Oct-11 21:10:22
Print Post

[re: Wagstaff] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Wagstaff:
It looks like Plusnet is the best of the worst...

That hardly inspires me with confidence.
Standard User kasg
(committed) Thu 20-Oct-11 21:17:56
Print Post

[re: Bemused_Mike] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bemused_Mike:
In reply to a post by Wagstaff:
It looks like Plusnet is the best of the worst...

That hardly inspires me with confidence.
Well look at it this way (figures invented for the purpose of illustration). Say there are a hundred ISPs. There is a top 10. Plusnet is number 11. Better?

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to