User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User m0aur
(committed) Sun 30-Oct-11 16:54:23
Print Post

Re: Worth a punt?

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Exactly. For the last couple of weeks I was syncing at 14934kbps with a line profile of 13176kbps, no router restart and not a byte dropped. the instability of service over the last day which I have shown above with a Routerstats graph, has resulted in dropping to a 14747kbps sync, with a line profile of 1309kbps. Download now faster since the BB drops, Let's hope it stays that way, but if the usual pattern is followed, it will drop in about a day.
As all BT speedtester tests are available to ISP's, they should see me syncing at around 1500kbps for the last couple of weeks with a low download.
The usual contradiction, look at the date, it is before I joined and still on the 8Mb Post Office service. I was promised ADSL2+ around 11Mb on the PN up to 20Mb service, which was what BT were showing for my line at the time!-

Phone exchange:
GLEMSFORD
Estimated line speed:
7Mb (This may vary between 6Mb and 8Mb) - Checked on 2011-08-18 00:41:30
Current line speed:
12 Mb

Fora - Where everybody knows everything - Everyone else knows nothing!

Edited by m0aur (Sun 30-Oct-11 17:35:15)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 30-Oct-11 17:56:18
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
All this stuff about 8Mb estimates is irrelevant. You are on ADSL2+, you are syncing at 14747k, your IP profile should be around 12977k so you should be getting maximum download speeds of probably around 12Mb, unless Plusnet has your profile set to a lower figure for some reason (check at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer... under Current line speed).
Yes. I got very confused by all this guff about 8Mbps and what BT says. We can see from his stats the upload cap that Plusnet do, but that just requires a ticket specifically about that. The full results from a BT speed test may be instructive, as so far we haven't seen those from him, (that I remember).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User m0aur
(committed) Sun 30-Oct-11 18:11:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by kasg:
All this stuff about 8Mb estimates is irrelevant. You are on ADSL2+, you are syncing at 14747k, your IP profile should be around 12977k so you should be getting maximum download speeds of probably around 12Mb, unless Plusnet has your profile set to a lower figure for some reason (check at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer... under Current line speed).
Yes. I got very confused by all this guff about 8Mbps and what BT says. We can see from his stats the upload cap that Plusnet do, but that just requires a ticket specifically about that. The full results from a BT speed test may be instructive, as so far we haven't seen those from him, (that I remember).

A look above, will show that I have requested an uncapped upload. I was informed by PN over a week ago that it could take up to five days. As you see, I am still waiting.
Possibly you could advise me if router setting has a bearing on upload. I have read it is related to Annex M, but my Billion has both Annex L and Annex M ticked in the setup page as standard. I expect it is so it can self-select, but wonder if selecting Annex M only may help to implement the increased upload, though I realise around 12Mb is around the point of gain.
This is the sort of result I usually get from the BT speedtest.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/717/btspeedtest...

Edited by m0aur (Sun 30-Oct-11 18:12:35)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 30-Oct-11 18:22:59
Print Post

[re: m0aur] [link to this post]

You need to be on Annex A. (I don't know what Annex L is and it's not worth me looking up as it isn't used in the UK).

Annex M nicks some of the downstream frequencies to use for upload, but the physics of it are that, (in the vast majority of cases), if the Annex A downstream sync is below about 16Mbps then you lose about 2.5Mbps downstream and gain very little upstream.

As the Annex A sync appoaches about 20Mbps the loss due to Annex M decreases and the upstream gain increases, until on very short lines there is no downstrean loss and almost the full 2.5Mbps upstream sync is attainable.

Annex B in any case requires the exchange MSAN/DSLAM to have it enabled. In the past on BT Wholesale it wasn't, but I have a feeling it may be now, as IIRC AAISP is providing some Annex M connections through it.

The well-known one is of course the Be LLU Pro package, where it is used a lot.

What IP Profile and speed does a BT speed test show for the downstream? There is often a problem with one or both of the Plusnet and BRAS copies of the IP Profile, particularly with the new DLM that I believe you are on. The profile shown by the speed test is from the MSAN.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User m0aur
(committed) Sun 30-Oct-11 18:38:48
Print Post

This shown a little while ago.

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4000-21000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :14746 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 443 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 13009 Kbps
I am running Annex A router firmware, but I am talking about the Annex M setting on the WAN interface. I have PhyR up and down selected for extra stability and have not dropped a single byte up or down..
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/3731/wanj.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITU_G.992.5_Annex_M
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.992.3_Annex_L

Edited by m0aur (Sun 30-Oct-11 19:10:02)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 30-Oct-11 18:46:05
Print Post

That isn't showing the throughput speeds. We need to compare those with the profile.

I shall look further into the Annex L. I don't like Annex A being absent frown.

Standard User m0aur
(committed) Sun 30-Oct-11 18:55:11
Print Post

That isn't showing the throughput speeds. We need to compare those with the profile.

I shall look further into the Annex L. I don't like Annex A being absent frown.

It's not, it's an extension that gives better range, speed and stability.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 30-Oct-11 22:21:02
Print Post

You still don't give the BT speed test figures and the profile to go with them.

So we have no way of seeing if an IP Profile mis-match may be existing in the system. It is common and the maximum download speed is determined by the lowest profile there is.

Standard User m0aur
(committed) Sun 30-Oct-11 22:42:58
Print Post

So we have no way of seeing if an IP Profile mis-match may be existing in the system. It is common and the maximum download speed is determined by the lowest profile there is.

I am sorry, but I dont have a clue what you are talking about. I have given all the figures returned on a BT speedtest, such as sync speed, line speed, line profile and speed obtained, I don't see what else I can do, and quite honestly I am fed up with going round in circles.
My line is all over the place at the moment, routerstats shows three drops and reconnections in the last couple of hours, with my sync speed now raised to 14910kbps again with an IP profile 13154kbps. I will just sit tight till my line is switched to 21CN in the next couple of days, then see how it behaves.

Standard User m0aur
(committed) Sun 30-Oct-11 22:49:37
Print Post

I am sorry, but I dont have a clue what you are talking about. I have given all the figures returned on a BT speedtest, such as sync speed, line speed, line profile and speed obtained, I don't see what else I can do, and quite honestly I am fed up with going round in circles.
My line is all over the place at the moment, routerstats shows three drops and reconnections in the last couple of hours, with my sync speed now raised to 14910kbps again with an IP profile 13154kbps. I will just sit tight till my line is switched to 21CN in the next couple of days, then see how it behaves.
The BT speedtester is now having one of its regular brainstorms where it does not show my sync and does not do a upload test, so will have to wait another hour.
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/6593/speedtestup.jpg
Two of this evenings drops.
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/2387/dropsk.jpg

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to