User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 30-Oct-11 23:15:25
Print Post

Re: Worth a punt?

[re: m0aur] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by m0aur:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
You still don't give the BT speed test figures and the profile to go with them.

So we have no way of seeing if an IP Profile mis-match may be existing in the system. It is common and the maximum download speed is determined by the lowest profile there is.

I am sorry, but I dont have a clue what you are talking about. I have given all the figures returned on a BT speedtest, such as sync speed, line speed, line profile and speed obtained, I don't see what else I can do, and quite honestly I am fed up with going round in circles.
My line is all over the place at the moment, routerstats shows three drops and reconnections in the last couple of hours, with my sync speed now raised to 14910kbps again with an IP profile 13154kbps. I will just sit tight till my line is switched to 21CN in the next couple of days, then see how it behaves.
Err, no you haven't, at least not in this post, which is the one I have been asking about.

If you have some other post with the speed obtained, it may or may not be relevant but kindly point me to it. As I hope you have clearly seen I've been trying to help.

Getting shirty with me is not appreciated. Neither do I like you sticking in links to wiki explanations of things that (a) I read and understood literally years ago, barring the UK-irrelevant but worrying re the router Annex L, and (b)of which I had already covered the essentials for the purposes of your connection.

Furthermore, editing at 19:10:02 something unspecified, (IIRC you have added a third link) into an 18:38:48 post to which I replied at 18:46:05, which post in turn you replied to at 18:55:11 does not make problem discussion easy. Are we all supposed continually to re-read the last 12 hours (the cut-off for editing) of every thread you post in to see if you have altered anything?

Finally and something you do not seem to realise, you are already on ADSL2+. Just your upstream is capped at just below 448kbps, as in ADSL and Plusnet's standard practice.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 30-Oct-11 23:20:38
Print Post

Re my "somewhat upset" post, it looks as though you do not know that in BT terms 21CN = ADSL2+. You do not get over 8Mbps download sync unless you are using ADSL2+, and you do not get ADSL2+ on a BT Wholesale circuit unless you are on a 21CN line.

It is better to talk about WBC anyway. 21CN is something wider, covering the phone service as well.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User m0aur
(committed) Sun 30-Oct-11 23:26:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I HAVE ALWAYS KNOWN I AM ON ADSL2+ AND THAT MY UPLOAD IS CAPPED, THAT I AM NOT GETTING THE SPEED THAT I WAS AND THAT PLUSNET HAVE NOT LIFTED IT AS PROMISED OVER A WEEK AGO. I HAVE GOT BETTER THINGS TO DO THAN SPEND MY WHOLE LIFE CHASING MY TAIL ON THIS, SO JUST DROP IT OR YOU WILL REALLY SEE WHAT SHIRTY IS LIKE. I AM REALLY FED UP WITH EVERY SINGLE FORUM POST ENDING UP IN A BATTLE AND NO HELP WHATSOEVER.

Fora - Where everybody knows everything - Everyone else knows nothing!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User m0aur
(committed) Sun 30-Oct-11 23:33:30
Print Post

Re my "somewhat upset" post, it looks as though you do not know that in BT terms 21CN = ADSL2+. You do not get over 8Mbps download sync unless you are using ADSL2+, and you do not get ADSL2+ on a BT Wholesale circuit unless you are on a 21CN line.

It is better to talk about WBC anyway. 21CN is something wider, covering the phone service as well.

Well Mr. [censored] clever-dick, take a look at the enclosed snap from my status page, then try talking down to Plusnet, as neither of you seem to have a clue as to what the hell I am on, along with actually being no help what soever. Oh, and I don't appreciate being told what links to and not to post. Also, if I see something in a post of mine that is not quite correct, I will edit it whatever the time. How long have you owned this forum?
Of course I realised from the outset that I could complain direct to PN about the state of my service, along with knowing very well that nothing here would be forthcoming that I did not already know, but then the OP might well have ended up with biased advice!
http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/2858/21cn.jpg

Edited by m0aur (Sun 30-Oct-11 23:56:35)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 30-Oct-11 23:58:29
Print Post

I HAVE ALWAYS KNOWN I AM ON ADSL2+ AND THAT MY UPLOAD IS CAPPED, THAT I AM NOT GETTING THE SPEED THAT I WAS AND THAT PLUSNET HAVE NOT LIFTED IT AS PROMISED OVER A WEEK AGO. I HAVE GOT BETTER THINGS TO DO THAN SPEND MY WHOLE LIFE CHASING MY TAIL ON THIS, SO JUST DROP IT OR YOU WILL REALLY SEE WHAT SHIRTY IS LIKE. I AM REALLY FED UP WITH EVERY SINGLE FORUM POST ENDING UP IN A BATTLE AND NO HELP WHATSOEVER.
I HAVE ALWAYS KNOWN I AM ON ADSL2+
I will just sit tight till my line is switched to 21CN in the next couple of days
I think you prove my point. Though you clearly do not understand the significance of those two snippets, one from this fully quoted latest post and one from not much earlier.

I begin to understand why you had no success with Post Office email and have had protracted trouble with Plusnet, as evinced in this and an earlier thread. You must be giving the support staff who cannot really answer back a pretty rough time.

Do you really think getting abusive and confrontational when talking utter rot solves any problems except when you are the bigger or less incapable person in a pub brawl?

Sweet dreams smile.

Standard User m0aur
(committed) Mon 31-Oct-11 00:11:24
Print Post

I HAVE ALWAYS KNOWN I AM ON ADSL2+
I will just sit tight till my line is switched to 21CN in the next couple of days
I think you prove my point. Though you clearly do not understand the significance of those two snippets, one from this fully quoted latest post and one from not much earlier.

I begin to understand why you had no success with Post Office email and have had protracted trouble with Plusnet, as evinced in this and an earlier thread. You must be giving the support staff who cannot really answer back a pretty rough time.

Do you really think getting abusive and confrontational when talking utter rot solves any problems except when you are the bigger or less incapable person in a pub brawl?

Sweet dreams smile.

Firstly, I had NO problems with the Post Office other than their mail server went on the blink in the evenings. They were reliable and competent. It is just that I was silly enough to pay £10 per month more, give up unlimited download and free calls to mobiles, just for a faster service I did not need and was not much faster anyway. Take a look at the PO area to see those leaving PN to join the P.O.
As for talking rot, i was pointing out the rot that PN were talking regarding my "!CN 'Upgrade'. As for getting abusive, you don't seem to know what it is. I will not be talked down to by some know-all oik, so expect kickback if you can't be polite. With that I will leave you to save the Internet, I expect it is quite a power-trip.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 31-Oct-11 00:15:13
Print Post

Also, if I see something in a post of mine that is not quite correct, I will edit it whatever the time.
But you didn't edit it to add the essential information I had pointed out was missing, and without which the whole post was worthless.

Sweet dreams.

Standard User m0aur
(committed) Mon 31-Oct-11 00:21:05
Print Post

Re: Worth a punt? *DELETED*

Post deleted by seb

Edited by m0aur (Mon 31-Oct-11 00:22:41)

Administrator seb
(founder) Mon 31-Oct-11 00:49:52
Print Post

Re: Worth a punt? *DELETED*

Watch the language please smile

seb

Sebastien Lahtinen
Co-Founder,
thinkbroadband.com
[email protected]

personal blog - blog.seb.me.uk
twitter - @sebtweet
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 31-Oct-11 01:08:33
Print Post

Firstly, I had NO problems with the Post Office other than their mail server went on the blink in the evenings. They were reliable and competent.
Ummm.
Once again this evening I have wasted my time on the phone to an inept Post Office Broadband customer Service (not) operator.
For several weeks now, my line stats have stayed at a SNR margin of 9dB, with a downstream attenuation of 28dB (at times 26dB). Throughout this time, auto-adjustment has failed to return my line profile to the 7150kbps it should be, which has left me stuck on 6000kbps.
Now I realise it is not a lot of loss to get too worried about, which is why I have let it run again to see the outcome, but the system is not working, and i am entitled to the service I pay for subject to location and prevailing conditions. I am now hitting the exchange at 7808kbps instead of the 8128kbps I used to due to the line profile.
Needless to say, the Post Office operator didn't even have a clue what I was on about, never seemed to have heard of BT Wholesale, but just stated they could do nothing about it apart from doing line tests, which as far as I can see is a waste of time when I can see the line stats.
I am afraid after telling them I would give them a week to sort it before asking for a mac code, I slammed the phone down on them. Avoid this useless bunch.
That's the opening post, (your bold), of this thread.

Amongst other gems from you, (not addressed to me), in that thread are "Why don't you [censored] off. The subject of this post was Post office incompetence. Why is it that there is always some know-all nerd like you on a forum, who nitpicks others till they cause a spat" and "i expect your mother will be glad to get rid of you".

It does rather look as the line problems, (not email server trouble), which not even your "electronics background" has helped you trace, are still present, but exacerbated as is common by the move to ADLS2+.

This seems to be corroborated by "For the last 14 months that I have been with the Post Office, my modem or router slows to a crawl every few days and needs a restart", from another thread of yours, where like the others there seems to be no resolution.

I wonder if any of your broadband troubles could be down to your "Amateur Radio hobby"? That's a serious point by the way. Local radio hams can be a killer for everyone around them.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to