User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Fri 17-Aug-12 12:00:20
Print Post

Re: PN Market 2 charges - PN Terms & Conditions???

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

It's also worth noting that last time the Market classifications changed there were some exchanges (admittedly a lower number) that switched the other way from Market 2 to 1, in these instances we didn't increase the price for existing customers in those areas.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
(isp) Fri 17-Aug-12 12:01:27
Print Post

Re: PN Market 2 charges

[re: fig] [link to this post]

Hi fig,

Whilst I understand the annoyance here, we stand by the process we're using which is that we'll only change the price if the customer contacts us or changes account type.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User professor973
(member) Fri 17-Aug-12 12:14:20
Print Post

Re: PN Market 2 charges

[re: chrisparr] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by chrisparr:
Why? We haven't lied, nor been dishonest here. The price advertised on our website at the point of signup is the price the customer paid.

Quite possibly, but the fact remains that PN will screw what they can from standing customers if they can get away with it contractually, while offering better contracts to new ones. I therefore don't see that that makes PN any better than the rest of the rogues despite the silly ads.
Everything PN is out of date or in a muddle. Nonetheless, that does not stop you in your post above "Standing by" a system that you understand upsets customers. There seems to be a 'We know it's a muddle, but we prefer to keep it that way' mindset about Plusnet, which in my book is not forward thinking, honest or good for the future of a company.

Edited by professor973 (Fri 17-Aug-12 12:15:38)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Aug-12 12:16:03
Print Post

The T&Cs refer to your individual contract with PN. If they don't intend to change your terms they don't need to write to you.

Your terms are as they were when you signed up, changed by any notifications sent to you subsequently as per that quoted clause. They are not necessarily the same as the current published T&Cs applicable to new customers.

When you phone up asking for a change such as this and they agree it, then your terms are changed (at your initiative) as at that conversation.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User fig
(experienced) Fri 17-Aug-12 12:26:33
Print Post

Which is very commendable, however that has been offset by those who've gone from 1 to 2 and you've not reduced the price for them, or those that were on Market 2 before July 2011 (like myself) and you've not reduced my price.

It's difficult to justify not increasing the price for a few when you have not reduced the price for a lot more I'd say.

Don't get me wrong, I think PN are great as an ISP, but this I have to say, sucks b****s as far as existing customers go. I put something similar in another post, if you were subscribed to (for example) Sky for £30 a month and your neighbour signed up for £20 a month to exactly the same thing because Sky reduced the prices 12 months ago and didn't tell you, would YOU be happy? Would you then want a £10 a month reduction and your money back since the price changed?

I know I'm putting you on the spot with that, and you probably wont answer, my guess is you will agree, but as a PN rep you will have to disagree or not answer. smile

plusnet 4/11/2003 -> 4/3/2009 512Kb-2Mb
O2 Standard LLU 4/3/2009 -> 23/6/2009 ~3Mb O2 Access 13/7/2009 -> 22/6/2010 ~8Mb
plusnet 22/6/2010 -> ?? ~8MB

Edited by fig (Fri 17-Aug-12 12:29:30)

(isp) Fri 17-Aug-12 12:44:31
Print Post

No, I do actually agree with you! Unfortunately that agreement doesn't change the fact that a decision has been made and we will change the price if contacted.

If you PM me your username I'm happy to see if there's anything we can do on an individual basis though.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 17-Aug-12 13:23:32
Print Post

I think much of this still comes down to the strange business practices of Plusnet:

1) Offer different rates for Market 1 and Market 2/3 exchanges. No-one else does and therefore no-one else gets the stick for it.

2) Having one product with 2 different prices. If the Market 1 product was a different one to the 2/3 products then there would be no problem. People would have to choose to change products

3) Reducing prices of products. The Sky example above just would never happen as Sky wouldn't dream of reducing prices.

4) Reducing prices of products (again). Every other company would just release a new product (like my electricity supplier, they bring out a new tarriff rather than reduced the cost of the old one).

5) Talking to customers. Most other companies wouldn't dream of responding to their customers on an open forum, especially not when it was bad news. Far better to ask them to ring/email/twitter the company and therefore get the conversation off of a public forum.

So, if Plusnet would just act like every other company in these matters then we would see far fewer of these posts. But, to me Plusnet is actually a little more honest then most of those others (I would say though that there are some very very good companies out there that get most of it right).
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Fri 17-Aug-12 14:22:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by chrisparr:
...a decision has been made and we will change the price if contacted.

All PN market 2 broadband customers (and I was one of them) should have, at the very least, been informed that they were now in a "low cost area". If a mechanism was not in place to automatically reduce the cost of broadband then a message from PN to all of it's market 2 customers to make contact, either by phone or ticket, in order to adjust to the new pricing may have been a better policy.

Obviously that would have increased your workload considerably but the fact that many existing customers were unaware that their market 2 exchange was now in a "low cost area" and that they were eligible for a lower price, since they were not contacted personally, does perhaps appear to be rather underhand.
Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Fri 17-Aug-12 14:33:26
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

The bottom line for me is...no ISP is your friend. They are a business pure and simple.and carry it out in a manner that they think benefits them. Plusnet offer these reductions on Market 2&3 whilst no other ISP does because they feel it makes business sense to them.

One of the purposes of this BBS is to assist individuals behave in the same manner. Whilst it is galling to find out that you can get a reduction on your contracted price, as long as you ask, in many ways it is not far different from the discounts, "if you ask" that Sky can offer to keep your custom...it is not about being fair...it is about running a business.

There are always special deals/discount codes/new customer only promotions, and the bottom line for me is that you look at what you pay, (regardless of anyone else having a better deal) and if it is competitive and value for money and it meets your needs, than it is as good as it gets. If the current ISP is that and you find you can have it even cheaper...then the glass is half full I reckon.smile

If it is not those things in the first place, find an ISP that does match up.

Sadoldman

Just a tad sad..a wee bit old...wink

[email protected]
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Fri 17-Aug-12 14:51:25
Print Post

[re: Sadoldman] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Sadoldman:
..Whilst it is galling to find out that you can get a reduction on your contracted price...

The point is it's galling to find that one could have got a reduction in the contracted price. If one is just a few months into a one year contract then shopping around for another deal, or checking that the current contracted deal can be changed for a lower price with the same supplier, may not always be uppermost in peoples' thoughts.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to