User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User abhijack
(regular) Sat 19-Jan-13 18:13:29
Print Post

Re: Pathetic speeds on my Plusnet fibre...

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I have the OR suplied modem only.

I think it says ECI telecom on it...
Standard User abhijack
(regular) Sat 19-Jan-13 18:31:22
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
which then leaves the real speed been half of the estimated speed, not impossible given the affects of crosstalk without vectoring and possible power cutbacks by BT.

Also the low estimated speed for the distance could be explained by the line not been a direct route. The low estimated speed is probably an indication the actual length is way over 200m.

hmm... surprised that tose issues can halve the speed...

that may be right about the actual length... do they have aluminium and copper cables and if so is there any difference?
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Jan-13 19:25:01
Print Post

[re: abhijack] [link to this post]

given the average in "in the field" tests yield a 40% loss of signal with 20 lines enabled in a bundle, 50% is not far fetched.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User abhijack
(regular) Mon 21-Jan-13 11:01:07
Print Post

Its 48 hours since engineer visit and his modifications.
He had asked to monitor the speed for the next few days.

It remains slow and is 14 Mb at its best. Anything else I can do ?? frown
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 21-Jan-13 12:25:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by abhijack:
Its 48 hours since engineer visit and his modifications.
He had asked to monitor the speed for the next few days.

Else? What have you actually done? wink

The suggestion remains:

Get an unlocked HG612 modem
Get stats from data exension
Get stats from master socket
Run HG612 graphing utilities to enable analysis of your line stats.

Dunno if it will help mind, probably not frown

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User Bright
(regular) Mon 21-Jan-13 12:39:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by abhijack:
Chase PlusNet again? There are a couple of strange things that haven't been explained very satisfactorily:

1. If you are only 300m from the cabinet, why is your expected speed (from BTW database) only 34Mbps? The answer to this is probably that the cable route is not as direct as the walking route, but there might be some other reason. Is the cab in the same street as you? Is it on the same side of the street as your house? Are there multiple possible routes between your house and the cabinet location? Is the line delivered by an underground cable or overhead? ie is it possible that there is a MUCH longer, indirect route the cable might follow? Or does BTOR know there is a bad section of cable in this route?

2. Why are you only getting 14Mbps, when the database says you should get 34Mbps? I seem to remember (without digging back through the whole thread again) that your last speed test on the BTW Performance Test site said that your line was performing poorly? Or did I remember that wrong? If so, then there is clearly scope to escalate the fault within BTOR to find out why. It might be fixable (eg a cable joint sitting in a flooded joint box), or it might not (eg a poor quality section of old cable somewhere along the route). But it would be good to know.

Whilst BatBoy's suggestions would provide more diagnostic information, they are beyond what most broadband customers would want or be reasonably expected to do!

[Edit: BTW did you do a proper quiet line test? Dial 17070 on your phone and select the quiet line test option. The line should be silent, no crackle or hiss.]

So I'd chase PlusNet again.

Robert

Dircon > Zen > Be Unlimited > PlusNet Unlimited Fibre

Edited by Bright (Mon 21-Jan-13 12:43:44)

ISP Representative thatadamwalker
(isp) Mon 21-Jan-13 12:46:30
Print Post

I'm sorry to hear that's still an issue, I can see you've spoken to Chris via our community forum and it's back with our faults team now.

Adam

Adam Walker
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 21-Jan-13 13:27:31
Print Post

[re: Bright] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bright:
Whilst BatBoy's suggestions would provide more diagnostic information, they are beyond what most broadband customers would want or be reasonably expected to do!
True. Plusnet should be able to see the line stats anyway, and the various IP profile settings.
Maybe they can tell you what the line stats are as you move the modem between sockets?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User abhijack
(member) Mon 21-Jan-13 13:57:31
Print Post

[re: Bright] [link to this post]

Thanks for your valid points...

1. There are 2 streets between my house and the cabinet. I have to take a left on to a street and then right onto the street where the cabinet is located..So its possible that the effective distance is more. I will check about underground./overhead status...

BTOR engineer didnt know aout ant issues in the route.

2. Thats right. This is what the part 3 of BTW performance test said - http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/t/4200371-r...

3. I did quiet line test and it was all quiet and peace..

Have chased it with Chris. And another engineer appointment is booked for tomorrow.
Standard User abhijack
(member) Mon 21-Jan-13 14:00:14
Print Post

[re: thatadamwalker] [link to this post]

Thanks Adam. Yes and I had a call from PN confirming an engineer appointment for tomorrow.

He seemed to think the reset which BTOR engineer did probably didn't work properly.
Ref: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/t/4201335-r...

Edited by abhijack (Mon 21-Jan-13 14:01:07)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to