User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 17-Jan-13 09:27:06
Print Post

Re: Pathetic speeds on my Plusnet fibre...

[re: abhijack] [link to this post]

Where's an unlocked modem when you need one?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User abhijack
(regular) Thu 17-Jan-13 09:44:38
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

Please excuse my ignorance.

I assume the engineer will check the sync speed from modem plugged to data extension and modem to master socket.

Can that process detect a higher sync speed [if there is one] inspite of the IP profile being set already?
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Jan-13 09:48:59
Print Post

Sync speed is what it is - IP profile follows and the only effect is to limit the data transfer speed not the sync speed

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User abhijack
(regular) Thu 17-Jan-13 09:57:17
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

Thanks Jim..

So the now the question to the faults engineer is why the sync speed is less than 50 % [if its so] of estimated speed....Am I correct?

Another interesting point >>> the install engineer said that I could get upto 78 meg based on his test from master socket... If I understand it correctly that refer to sync speed... Right?
Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Thu 17-Jan-13 10:02:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by abhijack:
Another interesting point >>> the install engineer said that I could get upto 78 meg based on his test from master socket... If I understand it correctly that refer to sync speed... Right?

Rereading the OP, the engineer said you could get much higher sync speed than that, but you'd be limited to 78Mb - so I read it as your sync speed would be limited to 80Mbps and therefore the actual transfer speed to 78Mbps.
Which makes even more surprising that the thing can't even get 20Mbps.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Jan-13 10:05:35
Print Post

Yes it does - and the thing the engineer has to resolve is why the sync speed using his tester is half that using the modem
Standard User abhijack
(regular) Thu 17-Jan-13 10:21:15
Print Post

[re: Uilebheist] [link to this post]

Thats what the engineer told me based on a test with his handheld device plugged into my master socket.

So in summary :

I was over the moon when the install engineer tells me I could get 78 Mb . I asked engineer why the estimated speed was 34 Mb then to which he answers that could be wrong as its only an estimate .

I asked whether having a data extension for about 5 metres have significant issues with speed to which he replied there wont be.He then sets up the data extension and the modem.. Connects the router to modem.

He couldnt do the test from PC as it took ages for the router to be set up.He didnt do a sync test from the data extension though..

So I believe I should be having a lot higher sync than 15 Mb. And my house is 200 m from the cabinet.. I hope the engineer coming to check for faults will resolve the issue.

Many thanks to the forum as I am more 100% more aware of the BB issues after joining here..

Edited by abhijack (Thu 17-Jan-13 10:23:38)

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Jan-13 11:35:05
Print Post

a better solution for the engineers on installs is to use a short cable between socket and modem and then if the user wants their router elsehwere then use a long ethernet cable between router and modem. if the phone socket doesnt allow a modem to be near it eg. lack of power point, then I would get the master socket moved.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Standard User abhijack
(regular) Thu 17-Jan-13 11:51:42
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I think you are right.

I went for the more tidier data extension option only because the engineer told there wont be major issues with speed by doing that.

I think I will ask the faults to dispense the data extension and place the modem near master socket. but I hope they have some checks to confirm whether that process will improve speeds.

I do have power point near the master socket and can actually live with the little clutter caused by router and phone in hallway as broadband speed is my biggest priority.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 17-Jan-13 11:57:40
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I don't really see the difference between a data extension socket and getting the master socket moved...?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to