User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bright
(regular) Fri 18-Jan-13 16:23:44
Print Post

Re: FTTC activated but provisioned on the wrong product! *DELETED*

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Post deleted by seb
Standard User Bright
(regular) Fri 18-Jan-13 16:31:09
Print Post

Re: FTTC activated but provisioned on the wrong product!

In reply to a post by tommy45:
On another note i hope that the op isn't having to pay the charge for install of FTTC , Because they didn't carry out this install, at the CP, and as such the isp should refuse to pay openreach ,explaining as to why, if enough cases of refusal to pay for botched installs I'm sure it wouldn't be too long before Kelly Com's where given their marching orders by OR

Fortunately I didn't pay the install charge - PlusNet is offering free install at the moment if you also take the phone service. So PlusNet is paying, not me smile

--
Robert
ISP: PlusNet Unlimited Fibre
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Jan-13 16:31:33
Print Post

[re: Bright] [link to this post]

Have you been charged the £50.00 install fee by plusnet? or do you also pay line rental to them .in which case would be F.O.C to customers, but plusnet will still possibly get charged, unless OR are still doing the sim install (new line & FTTC deal ) F.O.C to SP's /Isp's ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Jan-13 16:32:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by Bright:
In reply to a post by tommy45:
On another note i hope that the op isn't having to pay the charge for install of FTTC , Because they didn't carry out this install, at the CP, and as such the isp should refuse to pay openreach ,explaining as to why, if enough cases of refusal to pay for botched installs I'm sure it wouldn't be too long before Kelly Com's where given their marching orders by OR

Fortunately I didn't pay the install charge - PlusNet is offering free install at the moment if you also take the phone service. So PlusNet is paying, not me smile
Well at least that's one good thing,i suppose

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 18-Jan-13 16:58:54
Print Post

A managed install is where the ISP-supplied router is connected to the modem after the FTTC itself has been tested, and the connection is shown to be usable by the user connecting to the router - I expect wired.

So far as I know only BT Retail do managed installs.

Plusnet installations are not managed installs. The correct operation of the OR-supplied modem seem to the only requirement. The engineer has no instructions whatsoever to to do with the user's router.

When the Home Wiring Solution has not been ordered, or when it has but is not used, (BT Retail order it by default, in order to be prepared - Boy Scout fashion), then there is no reconnection of extension wiring required unless it was incorrectly wired or there was no NTE5 in the first place.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 18-Jan-13 17:04:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by Bright:
My own FTTC install at home last Tuesday was carried out by a contractor from Kelly Communications who brought a large tool bag, dumped it on the floor but never opened it, didn't even look at my master socket but instead just pulled the RJ11 cable out of the back of my existing ADSL router, plugged it into his BTOR modem, checked the DSL light came on, told me he couldn't wait 15 minutes for the PlusNet router to configure and ...

If BTOR are paying Kelly for more than that, then they are indeed being ripped off. I certainly wasn't impressed!
?
That sounds like a part story. Is your modem at the master, and did that already have a filtered faceplate? If not, what is the setup?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Bright
(regular) Fri 18-Jan-13 17:15:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That sounds like a part story. Is your modem at the master, and did that already have a filtered faceplate? If not, what is the setup?

Yes and Yes.
But I was expecting him to change the faceplate (as stated in the "Welcome to PlusNet" booklet and I have seen elsewhere) and test the line. Or is that not part of a non-managed install?

--
Robert
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 18-Jan-13 17:40:17
Print Post

Technically he should remove your filtered faceplate and fit the Openreach interstitial filter unit, and supply an NTE5A to which he reconnects your extension wiring that was on the back of your filtered one.

Many people here having a filtered faceplate have requested the engineer to leave it alone.

The jury is out as to whether the OR filter is any better than what you had. People on here who know what they are talking about and have experimented seem to think on the 80Mbps products it can give higher connection speeds. On the 40Mbps ones nobody seemed to have any issues.

I could see Openreach wondering where their faceplate had gone to if an FTTC problem turned out to be a faulty filter .... So if I had been someone with a filtered faceplate I would have asked for the OR one to be provided as a spare for me, or if as in many installations the engineer did replace it I would have asked for mine to be handed to me. Typically they seem to be taken away and binned.

Standard User Bright
(regular) Fri 18-Jan-13 18:03:54
Print Post

The filtered faceplate isn't mine, it's BT's. They fitted it when they did an engineer install of my original (512kbps) ADSL service. Not sure which model it is without taking it apart. I seem to be getting decent speeds so I'm not really bothered other than that I was expecting it to be changed. I asked him if he was going to replace it but he just ignored the question. He spent most of his time in my house checking his blackberry, so I didn't get a very positive impression...

--
Robert
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Jan-13 18:25:27
Print Post

If there is an install charge for FTTC then we should expect the job to be done right 1st time
1, engineer fit's OR vdsl faceplate (up to you if you wish to swap back to your own) if you so wish and have a filtered face place ,many on adsl don't
2, the engineer should perform all tests from the master socket that are standard practise, which should highlight any potential issues at that point, be it a pre existing line fault or something not 100% with the install
3 only leave once you have a sync( upto customer to enter log on details into router) or wait for the ISP to do it automatically via their inbuilt back door)

4 , possibly re locate master socket if needed due to lack of available power sockets ect all should be performed as they are part of the install process

Fine if the isp don't want to send a BTOR engineer, they may as well just send the modem in the post along with the VDSLfaceplate ,and no visit to customers premises required at all, but they could find that these options could tun out to be more expensive long term botched installs ect a recipe for disaster ,

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to