User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bigheadtodd
(newbie) Thu 31-Jan-13 13:25:13
Print Post

Re: FTTC activated but provisioned on the wrong product!

[re: bigheadtodd] [link to this post]

Quick update.
Seeing I didn't have much luck here, I ended up calling support again. My speed had ticked slightly upwards to about ~ 43 Mbps but nowhere near the 65 Mbps I was supposed to get.

So apparently I am now provisioned on to the Unlimited Fibre package (since a couple of days back but no email to me saying this had been done). I was also told that because I was in the 10-day period, speeds could fluctuate etc etc, and that I shouldn't expect much more than what I was getting. I refused to take this as an explanation as I should really be getting ~ 20 Mbps more, and the speeds I was getting were suspiciously close to the upper limit of the lower package.

After a bit of to-and fro, it turns out my connection profile was erroneously set to 43 Mbps as the d/l speed. Now been fixed, but another 24-48 hours before this takes effect.

Sigh. It's just one thing after another...
Standard User Bright
(member) Thu 31-Jan-13 15:55:03
Print Post

[re: bigheadtodd] [link to this post]

I'll nip in quickly before any of the experts point out that the "10 day period" doesn't exist on FTTC, and any CS rep using it as an excuse for poor speeds needs to be sent to the gulag for re-education.

I'm starting to get a bad feeling about the quality of some of PlusNet's technical support reps...

Robert

PSS/BT Gold > Compuserve > Dircon > Zen > Be Unlimited > PlusNet Unlimited Fibre
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 31-Jan-13 16:04:15
Print Post

[re: Bright] [link to this post]

Not just Plusnet, having two DLM systems is confusing many support people it seems.

If this was my line I would be pacing out the distance carefully and seeing if that matched sensible estimates for the line length that was likely, if that is the case I'd just settle for the speed I can get.

What is not helping is that Openreach is new to the whole DSLAM/DSL game, where as BT Wholesale has had 13 years in the game.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bigheadtodd
(newbie) Thu 31-Jan-13 16:21:37
Print Post

[re: Bright] [link to this post]

Wow. Just wow.

Didn't realise I was being fobbed off. Next time I speak to them I'll be prepared.
Standard User _matt_b_
(newbie) Mon 11-Feb-13 16:19:32
Print Post

[re: KellyD] [link to this post]

Hi KellyD,

I sent you a PM as I'm still on the wrong product 2 weeks after installation. Can you take a look please?

Thanks
Matt
Standard User andrewh1973
(newbie) Wed 20-Feb-13 12:03:57
Print Post

[re: KellyD] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by KellyD:
Feel free to scream at us on here if we mess up wink

This is an invite I cannot refuse Kelly

I think I might in a similar situation to the OP. Though my route to getting FTTC has been a litany of cock-ups and phone calls to chase plusnet over several weeks... just want to put my situation to you all and see what anyone and everyone (including Kelly) thinks...

Having been with plusnet for nearly a year now for ADSL2+ I've had ongoing connection drop out problems, these were not Plusnet's fault as I had similar with my previous ISP (Demon) and had got tired of dealing with their customer (dis)service team - they were nice people but being based in a call centre outside of the UK with only the ability to send help tickets back to UK staff (it appears) getting anything done was worse than pulling my own teeth out. Plusnet were good with dealing with the connection problems but BT were ultimately unable to resolve things and, with no spare lines available back to exchange, I concluded that if I wanted a reliable connection I had to bite the bullet and go for FTTC.

Installation was due to take place on 1st Feb.

No one turned up and no one even bothered to contact me to tell me that or explain why.

After a week of chasing and chasing via help ticket (which Plusnet staff seem very slow to read these days and even less likely to read properly) it was supposedly rebooked for the next available date which was stated to be 11th March (can you see the obvious cock-up here?). I felt this was far too far in the future to be anything other than a mistake but I was assured that it was the correct date.

On the 11th Feb - when I was away from home that day, the BT engineer calls me to ask why I'm not at home!!

Installation rebooked for 18th Feb and thankfully it's now done. I noticed last night my speeds were still that of ADSL2+, i.e. 6mb down and 0.5mb up. I called plusnet and was advised that no, I don't have fibre but have ADSL2+ based service instead. After a few seconds sanity kicked in and the mistake was realised. Details had not been updated. I'm on the unlimited fibre package now so it should run at full speed (which was estimated at about 65mb down and 20mb up if I recall).

I tested it this morning and the down varies between 3mb and 36mb from test to test. Up speed is around 1.6mb. This is far from the speeds promised and I was told last night that it will be 10 days until the speeds settle down, which, having read this thread, seems to be hogwash...

Kelly, my plusnet account name is the same as the one used here, I would be grateful if you could have a look over things and make sure that everything is as it's supposed to be with regards to account type ordered with BTOR and profiles applied etc. I will retest my line speed tonight once I get home and if I find the speed has not improved I will be making a rather grumpy phone call to you tonight! I'm not all impressed with Plusnet at the moment and am tired of the excuses I keep hearing (like you are short-staffed, human error etc) I accept the reasons are valid but I'm not seeing much evidence that they are being addressed...

Andrew Holland/

Edited by andrewh1973 (Wed 20-Feb-13 12:27:25)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 20-Feb-13 12:15:20
Print Post

[re: andrewh1973] [link to this post]

I tested it this morning and the down varies between 3mb and 36mb from test to test. Up speed is around 1.6mb.
That sounds like two separate issues.

First, a 40/2 product.

Second - testing wired or wireless? That speed range would be silly if wired, and would point to your previous problem not being between the cabinet and exchange. If wireless please try wired.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 541/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Feb-13 12:18:37
Print Post

[re: andrewh1973] [link to this post]

After a week of chasing and chasing via help ticket (which Plusnet staff seem very slow to read these days and even less likely to read properly)

I think Plusnet's user base is expanding faster than customer support can cope. This thread is telling: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1120...

In it, it details that the ticket target response time has increased from 4 hours to 24 hours (and that's in addition to any short-term delays in ticket responses). Chris Parr never replied why the target response was increased by so much.

Oliver.
(newbie) Wed 20-Feb-13 12:28:17
Print Post

Re: FTTC activated but provisioned on the wrong product! *DELETED*

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Post deleted by andrewh1973
(newbie) Wed 20-Feb-13 12:29:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I tested it this morning and the down varies between 3mb and 36mb from test to test. Up speed is around 1.6mb.
That sounds like two separate issues.

First, a 40/2 product.

Second - testing wired or wireless? That speed range would be silly if wired, and would point to your previous problem not being between the cabinet and exchange. If wireless please try wired.

Testing wired and both directly to the PC and via the router, speed results are the same.

Andrew Holland/
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to