User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Oddball
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Aug-13 13:25:24
Print Post

Re: DLM is broken. Explain this please.

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
burst of errors late on the night of the 23rd done it in for you.

whether your line is interleaved or not doesnt affect crosstalk, only the output power does.

Which is why I say DLM is broken. That's pure rubbish. If it caused the line to disconnect or did it all day or on and off all day then yeah go ahead. But when weighed against the longer period of time it should do nothing. I was not disconnected when the errors occurred and in fact I never even noticed a problem. DLM on VDSL sucks!

Also why does it take days for it to figure out the line is OK and then turn interleave off etc and not resync? I have to manually resync to get the better sync back when it finally decides to turn interleave off again (Only to turn it back on again later anyhow)?

Grrrr!!!

---
What's my speed? Who knows thanks to DLM! Plusnet FTTC. Openreach are pants!

Edited by Oddball (Mon 26-Aug-13 13:29:31)

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Aug-13 13:51:45
Print Post

[re: Oddball] [link to this post]

Which is why I say DLM is broken. That's pure rubbish. If it caused the line to disconnect or did it all day or on and off all day then yeah go ahead. But when weighed against the longer period of time it should do nothing. I was not disconnected when the errors occurred and in fact I never even noticed a problem. DLM on VDSL sucks!
It's done like this because, say you are trying to buy some important plane tickets whilst there's error build up and the lines dropping out. If the line is just left it may keep dropping out for a good hour. This means the person using the connection cant do what they need to... By nipping it in the bud quickly the line may stop dropping out and be stable after a few minutes. This means customers are ultimately less frustrated. The average Joe does not run a speedtest all the time or monitor their stats. Most people use 2.4 Ghz WiFi and only get around 30Mbps from their 70Mbps connection anyway over this wireless. So a drop in speed and interleaving bothers them a lot lot less than a long period of intermittency and drop outs.

Also why does it take days for it to figure out the line is OK and then turn interleave off etc and not resync? I have to manually resync to get the better sync back when it finally decides to turn interleave off again (Only to turn it back on again later anyhow)?
It takes its time as DLM is fully aware that whatever created the issue initially is likely to come back. So to prevent the error build up, potential drop outs and issues in future it is cautious and holds off for a while. If it instantly increased the speed, then when that noise came back it would be more drop outs, more error build up, more instability. By holding off it can prevent people getting frustrated with their lines (the average Joe Bloggs). Clearly you are not the average user so you can see some of the flaws etc.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 26-Aug-13 13:52:18)

Standard User Oddball
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Aug-13 14:42:34
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Yeah well it looks like I will just have to accept that my line is only capable of higher speeds on a fair day with no rain and when the moon is full. So I may as well stay stuck at the lower speed and ignore the occasional periods where I can get a higher speed. At least I won't lose what little hair I have left over it.

Bummer.

---

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Aug-13 15:06:28
Print Post

Best way buddy smile
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 26-Aug-13 15:58:01
Print Post

I'll swap you your 65-71Mb sync for my lossy 1.4-2.1Mb sync if you're finding it so frustrating wink
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 26-Aug-13 16:14:04
Print Post

yes I agree DLM is a joke of a way to manage lines, but its not broken in the way BT have designed it, there was a clear reason it acted on your graphs.

If your line is prone to these occasional bursts of noise/errors then DLM is going to keep affecting you, its as simple as that I am afraid.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Aug-13 16:45:17
Print Post

I'll swap you my interleaved 42Mbps if your not happy with you're 65Mbps connection smile

Takes a while but you will accept what you have (or shell a lot of money for FTTPod when available), I'm only 450 meters from my cab, estimated 57Mbps (before they dropped the estimates), and as I say only getting around 42, 47 on a good day, which ended a few days ago frown

Standard User Oddball
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Aug-13 17:16:50
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Heh! I guess the higher your max speed the more it fluctuates (a few mbit vs a few kbit). Unless you get lucky with line quality or being on top of the cab.

To be honest I don't notice it much in real life use. The fact a download may arrive a few seconds or minutes later is neither here nor there. It's just me I guess. I see that quoted 'up to' and get greedy for it. It's more a psychological thing knowing that if I could just replace that length of cable...

On that note. I am still waiting on a BT engineer friend of my brothers to see if he can replace a length of non-standard cable with some proper BT drop cable into my home but it does not seem like he can be bothered right now and I don't like chasing people for favors.

Sorry for the continued rants. I must seem like a spoiled brat. wink

---
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Aug-13 17:38:56
Print Post

It hits us lower speed people just as hard as it hits you!

I've had 47Mbps from sometime around May, then the other day interleaving kicked in (again), and whack I'm down to 42Mbps.

BaldEagle had about 33Mbps, and I think he is now down just below 20Mbps.

It is psychological, I've had mine a year now, and I've come to accept what I get and to hope that vectoring is released before my line gets too bad, or for a nice boost in the future.

Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(experienced) Mon 26-Aug-13 20:26:01
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
I'll swap you my interleaved 42Mbps if your not happy with you're 65Mbps connection smile

And I'll swap my non-interleaved, but only just touching 21 Mbps connection (was 30 Mbps for many months) for your 42 Mbps any day smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to