User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Sep-13 00:49:27
Print Post

Re: Line rental price hike - confused how it will affect me

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Still listed at 5.99/month > here <

I'd dispute your comment suggesting "no cheaper than what can be found elsewhere" unless you can find an alternative to 1899 (+ 18185) that may provide a 5 hour call to a home phone (01/02 area) for 5p. 1899 will charge me 5p, and personally I have no difficulty dialling 1899 before the national number, so don't consider it "a lot of messing around".

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 14-Sep-13 01:17:30
Print Post

[re: ultra] [link to this post]

Surely the supplier's actual site is more definitive than some comparison site?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 14-Sep-13 10:48:10
Print Post

How often do you make calls of over 45 minutes?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Sep-13 13:37:50
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Surely the supplier's actual site is more definitive than some comparison site?

If you click on "Find out more" it goes to a page on primussaver.co.uk offering the £5.99 deal. If I enter my phone number and postcode it tells me: "There is a fibre broadband service on this line. Please return to the main page and select a phone and broadband deal" at which point I give up.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Sep-13 14:21:35
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by professor973:
...you are tied in and still dearer than the likes of Zen @ £11.22 with to tie-in.

I agree with that - anybody who basically just wants a line rental deal and doesn't use the phone much would find Zen hard to beat. Call rates are very low and there's not a call connection fee plus it's on a one month contract smile
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Sep-13 15:51:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Much depends on whom I am calling. For short calls, I tend to use inclusive minutes on my mobile contract, but if I am (for example) providing some computer support, or just talking to relatives, then a 90+ minute call is easily possible, and I make such calls 2-3 times a week, minimum. They only bill me when the amount due is at least 2-3 pounds so can take 6-8 weeks to accumulate. Obviously a half-hour call to a friend in the USA clocks up much faster, but at less than 40p, still doesn't push the bill very high (and I don't call very often).

---

Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Sep-13 15:57:46
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

When I looked at their T+C pages, there were a number because they seem to enter "partnership" deals with various other sites to promote their service, rather than spend a fortune on TV ads like some others. I first came across them features on the MoneySavingExpert(.com) web site. Unfortunately, going direct to their site will only show a few of their packages.

I used to pay around 9 pounds a month but they rang me a few weeks ago to tell me they could offer the 5.99 line rental deal if I wished... I have been with them for a couple of years (no problems with moving home) so felt no problem with agreeing to a further 12 month contract, given I'd be saving money and not have to pay a lump sum in advance for that low rate.

---

Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Sep-13 16:04:09
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

If you want the deal, I'm sure ringing to talk to them would get it. I know it can be a pain when certain options are not offered online (eg a new second line on which to run a Fibre service, as most sites assume one will be switching), but in your case, my guess is they wanted to try to supply both services (and sadly, if one wants the fibre or ADSL service the line rental is not 5.99 but around a tenner more). It's certainly possible to use Primus for line rental and some other for internet, as that's just how I am using them (with PN broadband, at present, and in my previous property).

---

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Sep-13 17:09:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by ultra:
If you want the deal, I'm sure ringing to talk to them would get it.

I might look at it when my line rental saver is up for renewal. I hardly ever use a landline to make calls, only receive them, so basic line rental is all I really need.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User professor973
(experienced) Sat 14-Sep-13 19:03:34
Print Post

Setting up extra accounts and Direct Debit for the likes of 18185 is a lot of faffing around and extra to keep check of for very little gain, when I have Skype and Sipgate at my disposal. Also, a check round the web seems to show poor customer service and billing problems with Primus since the recent price drop, which brings peanuts and monkeys to mind. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/home-phone-c...

Zen Home Talk Plus - Freeola Family Broadband.
http://speedtest.net/result/2690543838.png
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to