User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TLM
(legend) Fri 20-Sep-13 11:50:01
Print Post

Re: Line rental price hike - confused how it will affect me

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Not sad how long, but certainly how off-topic. I was never posting to complain about the price-rise, but only to seek clarity about how it would affect customers already on line rental saver, as this was not mentioned at all in the e-mail I received, nor any possibility of beating the rise by renewing early.

It's likely that, without membership of this forum, I would never have found out, as, with less than a fortnight to go before the deadline, PN had still not chosen to alert me I had the option to renew early, and get a bargain. I've done it now, anyway, so we'll never know if they would have let me know, with just days to spare, or if it would have remained a secret to me.

T.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 20-Sep-13 14:21:03
Print Post

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

It seems to me unlikely you would have been told about it. If so, that's not good.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 20-Sep-13 14:24:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by TLM:
so we'll never know if they would have let me know, with just days to spare,

I don't think they do, just when it's about to expire. I renewed early last time to beat a price increase and I have a small window between 25 and 30 September to do it this time. I thought there was something on the website about renewing up to 3 months early but I can't find it.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Sep-13 15:11:26
Print Post

PN had still not chosen to alert me I had the option to renew early, and get a bargain

I don't think you would have been "alerted" as it's not in PN's interest, and many other companies have the same view, to give a bargain to existing customers.
New customers are what it is all about and that is probably where the discounts are applied.

It's a bit off topic but I would be interested to here if there are still retention deals being negotiated and if so does it involve having to take out line rental etc as well as broadband in order to get any discount or are these deals now a thing of the past? /sigh

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 20-Sep-13 15:58:28
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Apprentice:
It's a bit off topic but I would be interested to here if there are still retention deals being negotiated

I believe it is hard to get on Fibre as the margins are lower, but still possible on ADSL.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User TLM
(legend) Fri 20-Sep-13 17:28:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

As others have said, it's not really in their commercial interests to volunteer the information, but then a "Renew Early" offer can only ever apply to existing customers, as new ones wouldn't be renewing, so it makes little sense to launch such a scheme, but then not tell customers!

I get the impression other posters here did receive a communication about it (other than what they were able to find out through the forums, like me).

But for some reason, I was only told about the price rises - not about any opportunity to mitigate them.

It doesn't seem as if it was deliberately kept secret, because Andrew (Mr. Saffron) clearly knew all about it. But the fact remains that if I didn't frequent these forums, and go to the trouble of asking, I wouldn't have found out.

T.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 20-Sep-13 17:40:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by TLM:
I get the impression other posters here did receive a communication about it (other than what they were able to find out through the forums, like me).

There was nothing on my email to indicate that I was on Line rental Saver, only that I might be, and no information about the possibility of renewing early.

If you currently pay for 12 months line rental in advance, we'll send you a reminder before your Line Rental Saver expires, with details on how to renew. The renewal charge will be £137.88 equivalent to £11.49 a month after 1 st October 2013, this equates to a saving of £42.00 a year. If you choose to renew your Line Rental Saver, you will keep your inclusive Evening and Weekend calls. Any additional call plans will increase by the amount stated above.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User TLM
(legend) Fri 20-Sep-13 17:53:30
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

I didn't even get that last bit, though. As mentioned previously, there was no acknowledgement in my e-mail that I might be on the line rental saver. Just stark notification of the price rises! Odd that it doesn't seem to be standard wording to all.

I'm sure (well almost wink) they can't have done each e-mail by hand, so I wonder what determined which version we got? I almost thought they might never have recorded the line rental saver on my account, but it was all there OK, with the correct expiry date, and it let me renew early, so it can't have been that they had no record.

Very odd!
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Sep-13 18:07:54
Print Post

..... because Andrew (Mr. Saffron) clearly knew all about it.

He's the expert, with connections. tongue

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 10-Oct-13 11:47:39
Print Post

Re: Update - all done!

Was looking today, and can see mention of Line Rental Saver in the FAQs about using Plus.Net for line rental, but the page it links to /home-broadband/line-rental-saver/ now 'redirects' back to the packages. Looks as if PN are either scrapping the option, by stealth, and missed a link, or this was an error and should give info.

The other pages, however, don't seem to mention anything other than paying 14.50/month line rental (no mention of possibility to reduce this), so the 'removal by stealth' theory is mine, for now !!

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to