User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TLM
(legend) Fri 30-Aug-13 17:47:31
Print Post

Line rental price hike - confused how it will affect me

[link to this post]

Hi,

I've had an e-mail today saying - if I've understood correctly - that my line rental (inclusive evening & weekend calls) will be going up by £1 a month from 1st October.

BUT I already paid a year up-front for line rental, last December, on the line rental saver deal.

Does that mean PN are increasing the price before the year is up, even though I paid an agreed price for the whole year? Or will the increase only cut in once the line rental saver expires, in December (three months later)?

Will there be an option to replace the line rental saver with another line rental saver, and if so, how much difference would that make? Or will I only be able to pay monthly in future?

I'm sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere. I see there is a long thread about forthcoming price rises, but to be honest, I could not pick my way all through it, to see if it had already been answered somewhere. Most of the posts seemed to be about rises for broadband only customers (which this is not).

T.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 30-Aug-13 18:43:49
Print Post

Re: Line rental price hike - confused how it will affect me

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

If on line saver there will be no change yet, but if renew early and extend it by another year now I think you can lock yourself into the old price for longer.

Check back as to the dates for when you can still buy another 12 months at current price.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5970-annual-price...

Is the short version of the thread

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Fri 30-Aug-13 21:02:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew, that article makes it clearer!

I just got the same e-mail a second time. I expected to be a correction to the earlier one, in recognition that I am, in fact, on the Line Rental Saver, but it was an exact duplicate of the first, with no mention that I'm NOT on pay monthly, so won't see any immediate effect - or that I might renew early, to beat the price rise.

T.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Damoxuk
(regular) Sat 31-Aug-13 08:43:38
Print Post

Well as you have already paid up front these changes won't come into effect until after your 12 month line saver is up. At which point you will pay the higher price. Still cheaper than paying monthly of course.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Sat 31-Aug-13 09:24:07
Print Post

[re: Damoxuk] [link to this post]

You may well assume that (and seems to be borne out by Andrew's answer), but nowhere in the e-mail did it actually say there was any exception if you were still in the 12-month deal. It just tells me the cost of monthly line-rental is going up from 1st October, and how to reduce the impact by switching to a cheaper deal (minus the free evening calls) if I don't like it. There's no mention at all that I'm not even on "pay monthly", or that this makes any difference to how I'm affected, or what my options are!

Hence the question. I couldn't simply assume PN weren't trying to increase an already-agreed price, when everything about the e-mail suggested that was exactly what they were doing.

Also, it appears (Andrew's response) that if I elect to renew early, I will NOT pay the higher price, but can secure today's price for another year.

T.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 31-Aug-13 09:27:29
Print Post

You can only renew up to 3 months before the due date
Standard User TLM
(legend) Sat 31-Aug-13 09:35:16
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

That will work out fine. I have only just over three months left to run at present. So if I renew any time between the end of next week and Oct. 1st, there will be less than three months still to run.

T.
Standard User Damoxuk
(regular) Sat 31-Aug-13 09:43:46
Print Post

I guess they need to reword it laugh
But paying up front 1 year usually exempts from price rises.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Sat 31-Aug-13 10:02:44
Print Post

[re: Damoxuk] [link to this post]

I quite agree that's usually the whole point of paying up-front. So I would have had something to say (to put it mildly) if they were trying to renege on it.

But yes, a very poorly framed e-mail. Not even a little note to say: "Oh, by the way, if you're on our Line Rental Saver, you can disregard most of the above. And if you have less than three months to run, you can renew at today's prices by doing so before 1st October". That's all it would have taken, and I'd have been quite clear what I needed to do.

I'm questioning whether they even know I'm on the saver deal. I'm going to have to check the bills carefully, and make sure I haven't paid twice. I believe I've been paying for broadband unlimited and actual calls only, but there's a grain of doubt now...

T.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 31-Aug-13 10:21:13
Print Post

This is from the email I received
If you currently pay for 12 months line rental in advance, we'll send you a reminder before your Line Rental Saver expires, with details on how to renew. The renewal charge will be £137.88 equivalent to £11.49 a month after 1 October 2013, this equates to a saving of £42.00 a year. If you choose to renew your Line Rental Saver, you will keep your inclusive Evening and Weekend calls. Any additional call plans will increase by the amount stated above.
Didn't you get the same thing
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 31-Aug-13 10:53:26
Print Post

If you renew with two months outstanding, what happens to the two months? Lost? Or a total of fourteen resulting?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Sat 31-Aug-13 10:56:43
Print Post

No! Just read through it twice more, to make sure. And even did a search. The only place the word "advance" appears in the whole e-mail is about how much advance notice you have to give of migration (up to 14 days, from 10). Nothing to even hint, anywhere, that I might not be paying monthly (or that anyone might not be).

T.
Standard User Al1264
(regular) Sat 31-Aug-13 10:58:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The renewal (up to three months before the existing LRS runs out) adds 12 months (i.e. it doesn't start until the existing LRS expires).
Standard User TLM
(legend) Sat 31-Aug-13 11:00:06
Print Post

Well, I would certainly hope the latter. If it's two months down the drain, then obviously it's a case of getting the calculator out, and finding out whether that's more or less than the price saving. I can't honestly think that you could only retain the lower price by throwing away a couple of months, but I agree it's wise not to assume - which is why I didn't assume about the whole e-mail, but came to ask here.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 31-Aug-13 11:27:07
Print Post

I renewed mine 3 months early last time and it doesn't change the remaining months but starts a new 12 months when the old one expires as I recall.
Either way you don't lose any months
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 31-Aug-13 12:24:01
Print Post

smile
As expected, the latter, but it was worth asking smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 31-Aug-13 15:20:12
Print Post

Correct

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User professor973
(experienced) Sat 31-Aug-13 23:41:59
Print Post

I don't see a saving. The money could be in your bank, you are tied in and still dearer than the likes of Zen @ £11.22 with to tie-in.

Zen Home Talk Plus - Freeola Family Broadband.
http://speedtest.net/result/2690543838.png
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 13-Sep-13 23:01:00
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Customers see it as a saving, and they do save overall. Not much point it being in your bank with the pathetic rates of interest on savings at present, and saving around 40 quid is a more visible benefit for most, I'm sure.

If you want to cite Zen as being cheaper, then why not go the whole hog and switch to Primus at £5.99 a month (line rental only), then use 1899.com for calls to 01/ 02 numbers (5p per call) and international (from 1p/min) and only pay for what calls you make... no tie in after first year.

All depends on what one feels happy with, hence Primus line rental and PlusNet ADSL for me.

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
(experienced) Fri 13-Sep-13 23:11:53
Print Post

[re: ultra] [link to this post]

Primus Home phone saver is dearer than Zen. http://www.primussaver.co.uk/HomePhone.aspx and if I was silly enough to entertain a long contract tie-in, I would probably be back with BT for the line. Messing around with access numbers is something I grew out of years ago. A lot of messing around, capacity problems and no cheaper than what can be found elsewhere.

Edited by professor973 (Fri 13-Sep-13 23:13:34)

Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Sep-13 00:49:27
Print Post

Still listed at 5.99/month > here <

I'd dispute your comment suggesting "no cheaper than what can be found elsewhere" unless you can find an alternative to 1899 (+ 18185) that may provide a 5 hour call to a home phone (01/02 area) for 5p. 1899 will charge me 5p, and personally I have no difficulty dialling 1899 before the national number, so don't consider it "a lot of messing around".

---

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 14-Sep-13 01:17:30
Print Post

Surely the supplier's actual site is more definitive than some comparison site?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 14-Sep-13 10:48:10
Print Post

How often do you make calls of over 45 minutes?

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Sep-13 13:37:50
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Surely the supplier's actual site is more definitive than some comparison site?

If you click on "Find out more" it goes to a page on primussaver.co.uk offering the £5.99 deal. If I enter my phone number and postcode it tells me: "There is a fibre broadband service on this line. Please return to the main page and select a phone and broadband deal" at which point I give up.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Sep-13 14:21:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by professor973:
...you are tied in and still dearer than the likes of Zen @ £11.22 with to tie-in.

I agree with that - anybody who basically just wants a line rental deal and doesn't use the phone much would find Zen hard to beat. Call rates are very low and there's not a call connection fee plus it's on a one month contract smile
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Sep-13 15:51:17
Print Post

Much depends on whom I am calling. For short calls, I tend to use inclusive minutes on my mobile contract, but if I am (for example) providing some computer support, or just talking to relatives, then a 90+ minute call is easily possible, and I make such calls 2-3 times a week, minimum. They only bill me when the amount due is at least 2-3 pounds so can take 6-8 weeks to accumulate. Obviously a half-hour call to a friend in the USA clocks up much faster, but at less than 40p, still doesn't push the bill very high (and I don't call very often).

---

Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Sep-13 15:57:46
Print Post

When I looked at their T+C pages, there were a number because they seem to enter "partnership" deals with various other sites to promote their service, rather than spend a fortune on TV ads like some others. I first came across them features on the MoneySavingExpert(.com) web site. Unfortunately, going direct to their site will only show a few of their packages.

I used to pay around 9 pounds a month but they rang me a few weeks ago to tell me they could offer the 5.99 line rental deal if I wished... I have been with them for a couple of years (no problems with moving home) so felt no problem with agreeing to a further 12 month contract, given I'd be saving money and not have to pay a lump sum in advance for that low rate.

---

Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Sep-13 16:04:09
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

If you want the deal, I'm sure ringing to talk to them would get it. I know it can be a pain when certain options are not offered online (eg a new second line on which to run a Fibre service, as most sites assume one will be switching), but in your case, my guess is they wanted to try to supply both services (and sadly, if one wants the fibre or ADSL service the line rental is not 5.99 but around a tenner more). It's certainly possible to use Primus for line rental and some other for internet, as that's just how I am using them (with PN broadband, at present, and in my previous property).

---

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Sep-13 17:09:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by ultra:
If you want the deal, I'm sure ringing to talk to them would get it.

I might look at it when my line rental saver is up for renewal. I hardly ever use a landline to make calls, only receive them, so basic line rental is all I really need.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
(experienced) Sat 14-Sep-13 19:03:34
Print Post

Setting up extra accounts and Direct Debit for the likes of 18185 is a lot of faffing around and extra to keep check of for very little gain, when I have Skype and Sipgate at my disposal. Also, a check round the web seems to show poor customer service and billing problems with Primus since the recent price drop, which brings peanuts and monkeys to mind. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/home-phone-c...

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 14-Sep-13 20:06:32
Print Post

Friends use 1 of these prefix override providers. It comes in as International, which triggers a scam-caller alert grin and the quality of the voice is awful.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Sep-13 22:33:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Friends use 1 of these prefix override providers. It comes in as International, which triggers a scam-caller alert grin and the quality of the voice is awful.

18185 intermittently showing up on the recipients caller display as "International" was the main reason I stopped using it, since people thought I was a spam caller and didn't pick up.

Oliver.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 15-Sep-13 00:20:11
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

I never reply to International calls.

(experienced) Sun 15-Sep-13 12:27:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I never reply to International calls.

They are blocked with my Truecall unit here, including International numbers that are withheld, something BT could not do even when I once paid them £4 per month to block anonymous calls.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 16-Sep-13 09:47:30
Print Post

its sad how long this thread is, people are spending more than ever on food, mobile devices, holidays etc. yet what has turned out to be a almost irrelevant price increase on a already underpriced product has got all this attention.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
(experienced) Mon 16-Sep-13 10:00:36
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I did at one point comment upon the length of this thread and promptly got told to get on my bike. No change there then smile

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 16-Sep-13 10:16:13
Print Post

I did at one point comment upon the length of this thread and promptly got told to get on my bike. No change there then smile

No, that was a different thread. On your bike smile

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
(experienced) Mon 16-Sep-13 10:38:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by kasg:

No, that was a different thread. On your bike smile

'This' meaning the thread I was in at the time - On your bike! wink

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Sep-13 13:01:47
Print Post

Learn English! Tour of Britain is now on tongue

Standard User TLM
(legend) Thu 19-Sep-13 19:52:05
Print Post

Update - all done!

Leaving aside the derailment of this thread about how I could save more money by dumping PN altogether (not the purpose of my question), I've done the deed - renewed early and secured the discount.

The process seemed an improvement on last year, when I couldn't seem to do it online, and had to make a call.

But perhaps the difference is that although I was an existing PN customer last year, I was a new subscriber to the phone package, so the line rental saver was a new sign-up, not a renewal.

I still had a bit of trouble finding the right link, but once I had, thanks to a thread on the PN Community, it was all set up, ready to renew, having detected I had less than three months still to run. All went through OK, without insisting on a phone call to do it.

Thanks for the heads-up from Andrew, that made sure I didn't miss the deal.

T.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Fri 20-Sep-13 11:50:01
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Not sad how long, but certainly how off-topic. I was never posting to complain about the price-rise, but only to seek clarity about how it would affect customers already on line rental saver, as this was not mentioned at all in the e-mail I received, nor any possibility of beating the rise by renewing early.

It's likely that, without membership of this forum, I would never have found out, as, with less than a fortnight to go before the deadline, PN had still not chosen to alert me I had the option to renew early, and get a bargain. I've done it now, anyway, so we'll never know if they would have let me know, with just days to spare, or if it would have remained a secret to me.

T.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 20-Sep-13 14:21:03
Print Post

It seems to me unlikely you would have been told about it. If so, that's not good.

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 20-Sep-13 14:24:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by TLM:
so we'll never know if they would have let me know, with just days to spare,

I don't think they do, just when it's about to expire. I renewed early last time to beat a price increase and I have a small window between 25 and 30 September to do it this time. I thought there was something on the website about renewing up to 3 months early but I can't find it.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Sep-13 15:11:26
Print Post

PN had still not chosen to alert me I had the option to renew early, and get a bargain

I don't think you would have been "alerted" as it's not in PN's interest, and many other companies have the same view, to give a bargain to existing customers.
New customers are what it is all about and that is probably where the discounts are applied.

It's a bit off topic but I would be interested to here if there are still retention deals being negotiated and if so does it involve having to take out line rental etc as well as broadband in order to get any discount or are these deals now a thing of the past? /sigh

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 20-Sep-13 15:58:28
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Apprentice:
It's a bit off topic but I would be interested to here if there are still retention deals being negotiated

I believe it is hard to get on Fibre as the margins are lower, but still possible on ADSL.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User TLM
(legend) Fri 20-Sep-13 17:28:08
Print Post

As others have said, it's not really in their commercial interests to volunteer the information, but then a "Renew Early" offer can only ever apply to existing customers, as new ones wouldn't be renewing, so it makes little sense to launch such a scheme, but then not tell customers!

I get the impression other posters here did receive a communication about it (other than what they were able to find out through the forums, like me).

But for some reason, I was only told about the price rises - not about any opportunity to mitigate them.

It doesn't seem as if it was deliberately kept secret, because Andrew (Mr. Saffron) clearly knew all about it. But the fact remains that if I didn't frequent these forums, and go to the trouble of asking, I wouldn't have found out.

T.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 20-Sep-13 17:40:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by TLM:
I get the impression other posters here did receive a communication about it (other than what they were able to find out through the forums, like me).

There was nothing on my email to indicate that I was on Line rental Saver, only that I might be, and no information about the possibility of renewing early.

If you currently pay for 12 months line rental in advance, we'll send you a reminder before your Line Rental Saver expires, with details on how to renew. The renewal charge will be £137.88 equivalent to £11.49 a month after 1 st October 2013, this equates to a saving of £42.00 a year. If you choose to renew your Line Rental Saver, you will keep your inclusive Evening and Weekend calls. Any additional call plans will increase by the amount stated above.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User TLM
(legend) Fri 20-Sep-13 17:53:30
Print Post

I didn't even get that last bit, though. As mentioned previously, there was no acknowledgement in my e-mail that I might be on the line rental saver. Just stark notification of the price rises! Odd that it doesn't seem to be standard wording to all.

I'm sure (well almost wink) they can't have done each e-mail by hand, so I wonder what determined which version we got? I almost thought they might never have recorded the line rental saver on my account, but it was all there OK, with the correct expiry date, and it let me renew early, so it can't have been that they had no record.

Very odd!
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Sep-13 18:07:54
Print Post

..... because Andrew (Mr. Saffron) clearly knew all about it.

He's the expert, with connections. tongue

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 10-Oct-13 11:47:39
Print Post

Re: Update - all done!

Was looking today, and can see mention of Line Rental Saver in the FAQs about using Plus.Net for line rental, but the page it links to /home-broadband/line-rental-saver/ now 'redirects' back to the packages. Looks as if PN are either scrapping the option, by stealth, and missed a link, or this was an error and should give info.

The other pages, however, don't seem to mention anything other than paying 14.50/month line rental (no mention of possibility to reduce this), so the 'removal by stealth' theory is mine, for now !!

---

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 10-Oct-13 12:17:49
Print Post

the page it links to /home-broadband/line-rental-saver/ now 'redirects' back to the packages.
That page says quite clearly that new joiners can order LRS during sign-up or existing members can order it from their Member Centre.

Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 10-Oct-13 15:05:21
Print Post

It didn't display for more than a part of a second for me, and then went to display broadband packages.

Don't tell me there is another marketing "show different visitors different things" trial going on frown

In my case it redirected to http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/

Looking for FAQs page again (without following the link I posted earlier) I went to

http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/faqs/broadband-an...

Took a screen dump too - no mention of Line Rental Saver

---

Edited by ultra (Thu 10-Oct-13 15:24:50)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 11-Oct-13 17:23:46
Print Post

Working fine for me. From both the original on the FAQs page you gave, and from your post.

Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 11-Oct-13 17:24:24)

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Oct-13 17:28:30
Print Post

Not for me it doesn't, link just redirects to packages and no mention of LRS on the FAQs

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 11-Oct-13 17:33:49
Print Post

The LRS link is in the text of the first FAQ - "How much does Plusnet Home Phone cost?".

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 11-Oct-13 17:34:07)

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Oct-13 18:05:53
Print Post

Right, I was looking at this one, not this one.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Oct-13 18:20:28
Print Post

Redirection took place on 3 or 4 devices (one Android mobile displayed it, one was redirected).

I later on tried Opera instead of Chrome on my iMac and that didn't show the LRS page either.

---

Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Oct-13 18:26:41
Print Post

Thanks for highlighting the different pages so well.

It seems quite odd, since one is likely to consider phone line rental (as it means installation cost may be waived, and also, broadband has 2.50 surcharge if one opts not to rent the line too) when reading about broadband, not to be told about this possible saving.

I haven't been through the order process (as an existing customer, I suspect I'd be redirected to an "upgrade products" page) so don't know if one is prompted for a decision on whether to pay up front and thus save 40ish pounds over the first year, but it isn't in the FAQ and really, I think, should be.

Bit that was more puzzling was the redirect back to packages (more difficult to prove when the page changes before your very eyes, if you even get chance to see it, rather than just the URI).

---

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Oct-13 18:43:25
Print Post

Bit that was more puzzling was the redirect back to packages (more difficult to prove when the page changes before your very eyes, if you even get chance to see it, rather than just the URI).

Yes, I have the same problem with IE8 - the line rental saver page appears for a micro-second, too fast to even register in the browser history shocked
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 11-Oct-13 20:05:22
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

My IE8 doesn't (as previouly reported)!

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Oct-13 20:21:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by 4M2:

Yes, I have the same problem with IE8 - the line rental saver page appears for a micro-second, too fast to even register in the browser history shocked

I initially had that problem (OS is XP) when using the Pale Moon browser so I switched over to IE8 and the problem didn't occur.
Went back to the PM browser and the web page opened where it was meant to on clicking the link.

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Oct-13 20:23:28
Print Post

Still only appears just for a moment with IE8, get nothing with Chrome just takes me to http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/ with a slight delay (although strangely it does appear in the Chrome browser history.)

However, fortunately, the broadband only deals are still visible on the PN site smile
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Oct-13 21:12:35
Print Post

Might be to do with line rental saver not being available on the weekend package: "Line Rental Saver can't be taken with Plusnet Weekends. Customers on Plusnet Weekends who take Line Rental Saver will be switched to the Line Only package as standard." http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/price_guide.html#talk ?
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Oct-13 22:33:40
Print Post

Might be to do with line rental saver not being available on the weekend package: "Line Rental Saver can't be taken with Plusnet Weekends. Customers on Plusnet Weekends who take Line Rental Saver will be switched to the Line Only package as standard." http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/price_guide.html#talk ?

Strange they do that,when I was with BT it didn't matter what package you were on, the option was there to pay the LRS regardless.
(of course that may have changed by now)

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Oct-13 22:53:35
Print Post

As usual the Plusnet site is very confusing, but to simplify it looks as if line rental saver doesn't include weekend calls but the broadband and line rental packages do include weekend calls if the entire package is paid for monthly.

So the line rental saver guide link from this page http://www.plus.net/support/phone/home-phone-faq.sht... links to http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/ and in the "legal bit" there is a rather complex explanation regarding the pricing confused
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 12-Oct-13 07:30:16
Print Post

I don't have line rental with Plus.Net but this glitch stops me from viewing the page (most of the time).

I think I used Firefox on one Android mobile, Dolphin on the other. I wondered whether it was to do with my IP and being an existing broadband customer, but oddly, the phone using unlimited data on Three network did NOT show the page, while the phone using Wi-Fi and my Plus.Net ADSL was redirected.

In case it was to do with cookies, I tried both Chrome and Opera on my other iMac, and neither showed the /line-rental-saver/ page. I hardly use Opera (and Chrome is only on 2 of my 5 iMacs, because they're all old but 2 use Intel CPU and can run Chrome, the rest are on older versions of OSX and the PowerPC G5 CPU).

Seems odd that in some situations it displays but in others it redirects. I think if there's an exclusion (if it also depends on your phone calls package) they should put that as a footnote, not just hide the page!

---

Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 12-Oct-13 07:38:13
Print Post

Can understand blocking the LRS from the 'just weekends' calls package, but think there was perhaps no need for them to add a 'weekends only' option at all (and not then have to exclude it from LRS).

---

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sat 12-Oct-13 09:53:32
Print Post

If I'm understanding it correctly you can pay an extra £1.50 a month as an upgrade to get "free" evening & weekend calls so if you pay the LRS (£131.88) + twelve months at £1.50 it is cheaper than paying the standard monthly line rental (£14.95) every month for the twelve month period just for free weekend calls.

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sat 12-Oct-13 12:29:15
Print Post

Can understand blocking the LRS from the 'just weekends' calls package, but think there was perhaps no need for them to add a 'weekends only' option at all (and not then have to exclude it from LRS).

It does seem rather odd - when I left BT recently they certainly offered me free weekend calls if I made an up front payment for the full year in an attempt to stop me switching. But that was for line rental without broadband which Plusnet don't offer.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sat 12-Oct-13 12:38:25
Print Post

If I'm understanding it correctly you can pay an extra £1.50 a month as an upgrade to get "free" evening & weekend calls so if you pay the LRS (£131.88) + twelve months at £1.50 it is cheaper than paying the standard monthly line rental (£14.95) every month for the twelve month period just for free weekend calls.

There could be a trap if folks think they will be getting free weekend calls when taking a line rental and broadband package and go for LRS - they may think that weekend calls will be free only to discover at a later stage that they are not!
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 12-Oct-13 18:39:26
Print Post

I doubt they'd be allowed to order/ pay for LRS if they chose that option.

I had seen the same as Apprentice and suspect many would opt to pay the extra 1.50 /month to get weekend and evening calls, or decide they'd take the deal with no included calls and then use some firm like 1899.com for some of the calls.

I'm in a position where I'm now paying Primus 5.99 a month for just the line with Plus.Net ADSL.

Considering upgrading to FTTC but it works out cheaper for me to pay the extra 2.50 (penalty surcharge for not using Plus.Net for the line rental) than get their line rental then have to fork out a large up-front amount just to bring the line rental down to something more reasonable (but still well in excess of Primus)...

---

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sat 12-Oct-13 19:00:26
Print Post

Considering upgrading to FTTC but it works out cheaper for me to pay the extra 2.50 (penalty surcharge for not using Plus.Net for the line rental) than get their line rental then have to fork out a large up-front amount just to bring the line rental down to something more reasonable (but still well in excess of Primus)...

Will you have the activation fee to pay though? New customers fibre broadband only activation is £50 or an upgrade £25...
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sat 12-Oct-13 22:26:33
Print Post

There could be a trap if folks think they will be getting free weekend calls when taking a line rental and broadband package and go for LRS - they may think that weekend calls will be free only to discover at a later stage that they are not!

This is what I found out after speaking to a member of the COT, it wasn't clearly stated when I asked about LRS that weekend free calls were not available with that option ....... it should have been mentioned especially since it was a COT person that was taking my call.

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 13-Oct-13 00:20:20
Print Post

I managed to get a screen shot of the Line Rental Saver page that momentarily appears from the Line Rental Saver guide link on this page http://www.plus.net/support/phone/home-phone-faq.sht... and it says: "Thinking of joining us? Just select Line rental Saver when ordering one of our broadband and line rental packages."
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sun 13-Oct-13 21:56:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by kasg:
It's a bit off topic but I would be interested to here if there are still retention deals being negotiated

I believe it is hard to get on Fibre as the margins are lower, but still possible on ADSL.

Yes it is still possible on ADSL, seemingly the "best deal?" requires line rental moved to PN for 12 months + a 24 month contract for the broadband package.

I took the bait so will see how it goes, hopefully with no headaches from PN whatsoever, must say I had no major problems surfing with the madfish over quite a few years tongue

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-Oct-13 08:22:53
Print Post

LRS link

Here is a link I was given via a thread on the Community Home Phone forum, you might have/know about it already but thought it might be of interest.

https://portal.plus.net/apps/linerental/saver/portal

(Edit x2 > you need to be signed in to the PN Member Centre to view it + a typo)

Alastair

omadasafisho

Edited by Apprentice (Tue 15-Oct-13 10:25:38)

Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Oct-13 00:19:34
Print Post

Re: LRS link

Thanks for the link.

For me (broadband customer with line rental from Primus) it says I must have an existing PN phone service to take advantage of LRS and a link allows me to switch my phone line (but no pricing info is displayed).

---

Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Oct-13 00:34:14
Print Post

I would likely pay the upgrade price (but having looked at a number of possible options, it might end up not even getting FTTC from PN)...

As someone pointed out elsewhere in the thread, deals for new customers are more plentiful than for existing customers, considering an upgrade, and PN pricing seems to get more and more complicated now they have added pricing levels depending on line rental, on top of "low cost areas".

(Of course it will get even more complicated once we can order TV bundles too!)

---

Edited by ultra (Fri 18-Oct-13 00:35:33)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 18-Oct-13 00:49:53
Print Post

Line Rental

When you switch your phone service to Plusnet you'll pay line rental to us, instead of your current provider. Pay £14.50 monthly and get your weekend calls included, or save money with Line Rental Saver.

Line Rental Saver

Pay for 12 months line rental in advance for £131.88, equivalent to a monthly price of £10.99 (only available online). This option does not include any inclusive calls.

Call features and call charges will still be billed monthly.

Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 20-Oct-13 20:54:36
Print Post

Thanks for the C+P,

---

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to