User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | [11] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User stevenfrenchy
(member) Fri 15-Aug-14 10:48:01
Print Post

Re: plusnet was great until last week, are my stats ok?

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks again working like a charm, however I would like to take those orange wires off the extensions, maybe I could get even higher but I can't seem to take the front plate off any suggestions ?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/viswrv8zwq90qdg/Photo%2031...
Standard User beardedwonder
(member) Fri 15-Aug-14 11:17:51
Print Post

[re: stevenfrenchy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by stevenfrenchy:
Thanks again working like a charm, however I would like to take those orange wires off the extensions, maybe I could get even higher but I can't seem to take the front plate off any suggestions ?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/viswrv8zwq90qdg/Photo%2031...

Looks like a screwless faceplate, you'd have to run something like a putty knife down the sides to separate it from the base. If the edges of the plate have been painted over it might make a bit of a mess.
Standard User stevenfrenchy
(member) Fri 15-Aug-14 13:40:00
Print Post

[re: beardedwonder] [link to this post]

Not sure if it's worth the mess , you think I can as much extra as I just got ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User beardedwonder
(member) Fri 15-Aug-14 17:15:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by stevenfrenchy:
Not sure if it's worth the mess , you think I can as much extra as I just got ?

I don't know, only messed around with phone sockets in houses with normal sockets.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-Aug-14 17:26:41
Print Post

Your stats show you are getting about as good as you can get. You might squeeze another 0.3 Meg Sync.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User mlmclaren
(committed) Fri 15-Aug-14 17:39:57
Print Post

can you measure the middle section to see if it 50mmx50mm if so that would suggest its a euro module and you might be able to remove it and then click it back in when your are done.

@networkmclaren -- Please Don't under estimate my knowledge.
Ain't nothin' gonna to break my stride, Nobody's gonna slow me down, oh-no, I got to keep on movin'
VirginMedia HFC 152/12 > Super Hub V2 (Router Mode)
My Ookla Speedtest My TBB Speedtest Ookla Ping Test My O2 Mobile Speed Test (Bypass APN)
My Rapidswitch BQM My AAISP BQM My TBB BQM
Standard User Realalemadrid
(newbie) Fri 15-Aug-14 20:01:34
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Yes, there is a good chance that the square section with the socket is removable.
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 16-Aug-14 13:29:50
Print Post

Re: plusnet was great untill last week, are my stats ok?

in the olden days it was needed to make the phone ring. Now the phones do not use this wire, but its still connected in a lot of houses or connected in when new houses are built.

IanD
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(committed) Sat 16-Aug-14 14:10:18
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by iand:
in the olden days it was needed to make the phone ring. Now the phones do not use this wire, but its still connected in a lot of houses or connected in when new houses are built.

I thought it was meant to stop other phones on the line "tinkling" when other phones on the same line were dialing out.............
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Tue 19-Aug-14 11:31:59
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Agreed it is likely to be Back EMF.

Years back when playing about with 24 V PO-type relays; but using 12 V, there was a definite Back EMF sufficient for me to be aware of it in the palm of my hand, holding the relay etc.

Checking with an oscilloscope, that Back EMF appeared to be about 110 Volts at its peak.

--------------------------

I also recollect an apprentice getting a very significant shock when trying to measure the Resistance of the EHT Coil on a transformer (CRT supply), using either an AVO 7 or a GEC Selectest, probably only one or two cells in the meter, 1.5V or 3V DC as a source.

The Power Unit had not been near Mains for many years; and he had properly discharged all capacitors etc.

He was holding the test prods right at the bare ends; and was scraping back and forth to get through the accumulated dirt.

That episode certainly reinforced his knowledge (and his colleagues) of Back EMF; and also of Inductance
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | [11] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to