User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User stevenfrenchy
(member) Wed 13-Aug-14 10:49:04
Print Post

Re: plusnet was great untill last week, are my stats ok?

[re: adamtemp] [link to this post]

Please answer the last post if you can
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 13-Aug-14 10:56:35
Print Post

[re: stevenfrenchy] [link to this post]

Orange wires on PIN 3 are the ring wires, so not needed and create a source of noise pick up usually. Hence why the I-Plate exists.

Simplest is to disconnected and wrap exposed ends in insulation tape.

NOTE: Looking at picture the wiring job is a cowboy one, the wires should NOT be stripped, and not twisted together inside the IDC connectors. Wires should be inserted using a krone tool and the connector cuts the insulation to make contact. As things are now the connector jaws are probably forced apart and would cause problems if you went back to just one extension in the future

For now removing orange should help,

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Wed 13-Aug-14 11:04:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

So why do these wires exist then ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Wed 13-Aug-14 11:08:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

As I am not using the master socket will this help ? I thought the orange wires were the extensions from the master socket to the other ones
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Aug-14 11:54:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by stevenfrenchy:
So why do these wires exist then ?

They are legacy requirements that are no longer relevant with modern telephones.
(member) Wed 13-Aug-14 12:12:24
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Ok I'll do it today then , I don't need to cut the power or anything like this ? And I'll do it on the master socket even though I am not using as I am using a different socket
If you could confirm that thanks again for your help
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Aug-14 12:40:39
Print Post

House power is not involved with the phone line so no need to turn power off. Generally it is best to remove the ring wire from all extensions and the master - it is not necessary anymore and if removed from all then will ensure it cannot cause any issues
(member) Wed 13-Aug-14 13:39:12
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I don't know if you saw the pictures but I can't remove the plates of the other ones , they are no visible screws , only on the master on I can , would it help at all if I just do the master one ?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 13-Aug-14 13:54:31
Print Post

It would help yes.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 13-Aug-14 14:10:38
Print Post

At the master socket is the prime one to go for. The extra benefit from removing it at extensions is relatively small.

Removing it at the master can add as much as 1.2Mbps to the connection speed - we have seen that figure on these forums. It isn't usually that much, but it is normally a significant gain.

The ring/bell wire is what made old type phones ring, the ring being generated within the master. Most modern phones can generate it within their own circuitry, though a tiny minority apparently can't. This doesn't normally matter, as the dangly filters also generate it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 13-Aug-14 14:13:41)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to