User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Sat 16-Aug-14 23:26:49
Print Post

Re: Move BT to PlusNet, BT FON

[re: Rastus] [link to this post]

@Rastus: Good luck with the Fonera. Please post back when it is up and running to let us all know how it went. Thanks

--
BT Infinity 2, thinking of moving to PlusNet
Standard User andysm
(member) Sun 17-Aug-14 09:29:03
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Daft question:
How do FON make money? No monthly fees, and there can't be much profit in a 34 Euro wifi router.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 17-Aug-14 09:33:38
Print Post

[re: andysm] [link to this post]

http://gigaom.com/2011/03/30/the-difference-a-device...

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User doveman
(newbie) Sat 06-Sep-14 22:14:30
Print Post

[re: Stevenage_Neil] [link to this post]

Weird, the Google Store says I can't install the FON app in this country and it seems I have to use the BT WiFI with FON app. Not sure if that will allow me to access FON hotspots in other countries.

I've never found the BTWifI-FON app automatically logs me in to hotspots and I have to manually log in first and then authenticate with the app. Mind you, I have quite a strong hotspot near my house, so it would probably keep connecting to that instead of my own router if it worked.

I never seem to be able to access FON hotspots away from home though, no matter how strong the signal, I just can't seem to authenticate and have to resort to using 3G. It was one of the reasons I joined BT, as I figured it would save me having to spend money on 3G data access but as it's never worked for me, it will make it easier to leave BT.
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(committed) Sat 06-Sep-14 23:04:12
Print Post

[re: doveman] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by doveman:
Weird, the Google Store says I can't install the FON app in this country...........

...........because you are not a registered Fon "owner" and to use the app you have to sign in with your Fon credentials.(Shouldn't stop you downloading and installing the app though.)
Standard User doveman
(newbie) Sun 07-Sep-14 02:31:46
Print Post

I'm a registered BTWiFi with FON owner.

Anyway, as you say there's no way that Google Store can know whether I am or not, so that can't be why it won't let me download and install. The message definitely said something about it not being available "in your country", so maybe it is blocked in the UK and people are expected to use the BT app?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 07-Sep-14 08:14:19
Print Post

You can download it here http://www.digitalham.co.uk/fon-free-wifi-apk/

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Sun 07-Sep-14 10:10:59
Print Post

Weird, the Google Store says I can't install the FON app in this country and it seems I have to use the BT WiFI with FON app. Not sure if that will allow me to access FON hotspots in other countries.

I had the same experience. Googling found others in different countries were also complaining that they couldn't download it either.

I tried the BT WiFi app which doesn't want to accept my FON login credentials.

ATM, I've 'lent' my FON membership to a relative who's shortly arriving in the UK from Australia. When I forewarned him about not being able to download the FON app in the UK, he tried whilst still in Australia and successfully download it from the PlayStore (Version 3.2 if I recall correctly). Have yet to find out whether its use will be somehow blocked in the UK.
Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Sun 07-Sep-14 10:15:04
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
You can download it here http://www.digitalham.co.uk/fon-free-wifi-apk/

I downloaded the app from that site a few days ago, but unfortunately it's an older version which doesn't seem to want to play ball.
Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Sun 07-Sep-14 10:21:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by Stevenage_Neil:
Weird, the Google Store says I can't install the FON app in this country...........

...........because you are not a registered Fon "owner" and to use the app you have to sign in with your Fon credentials.(Shouldn't stop you downloading and installing the app though.)

I'm a registered FON 'owner' and I haven't been able to download the app. I'd be interested to find out how would that work.

I guess one thing I could try would be to connect via the FON, then go to the PlayStore and see if that makes a difference ...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to