User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 07-Sep-14 10:24:18
Print Post

Re: Move BT to PlusNet, BT FON

[re: Rastus] [link to this post]

There's 2 versions on that page, actually.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User 69bertie
(newbie) Sun 07-Sep-14 10:48:33
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Just a thought......... have you mentioned to BT about moving i.e. asked for a migration code. I was seriously thinking about moving to another ISP. The offer I got from BT (been with them 3 years) has seriously made me have 2nd thoughts. Even though it means having another 12 month contract with BT (not keen on long contracts at all), the cost to me is not only substantially reduced but I get much much more for the money. It certainly has made me pause for a rethink and I shall probably take up BT's offer. Shame they can't reduce the line rental in the same way ............
Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Sun 07-Sep-14 11:01:15
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
There's 2 versions on that page, actually.

Thanks for pointing that out!

I'd seen the second version but had assumed (wrongly it now seems) that due to the gist of the article that it was for later Android OSs, and as my Galaxy Tab is still on 2.2.2 (another story).

I just downloaded that version and it installed OK and seems to be working. I'll test its ability to automatically log me in to FON hotspots at some point, but not today as I am quite busy with other more boring stuff.

Thanks again!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User doveman
(newbie) Mon 08-Sep-14 08:29:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
You can download it here http://www.digitalham.co.uk/fon-free-wifi-apk/

Thanks. I installed the older, recommended, one and put in my BT Wifi-with-FON login details. Was out yesterday and found a BT Wifi hotspot but as usual, whilst I could connect, I couldn't login with either the BT app or the FON one. Either every apparent hotspot I find when out is in fact a fake one, in which case the availability of real hotspots seems rather sparse, or there's something wrong with the app.

At home, if I connect to my own router's BT FON hotspot, then either the FON or BT Wifi app (I tested with only one or the other running) will log me in, although the FON app's scan and auto-connect to FON hotspot feature doesn't seem to work, so maybe it just doesn't recognise BT FON hotspots as FON hotspots. If I connect to the only other nearby BT Wifi-with-FON hotspot, then neither app can authorise, so again either that's a fake hotspot or it confirms that I can only connect to my own router's hotspot.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 08-Sep-14 20:21:16
Print Post

[re: doveman] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by doveman:
If I connect to the only other nearby BT Wifi-with-FON hotspot, then neither app can authorise, so again either that's a fake hotspot or it confirms that I can only connect to my own router's hotspot.

Given the BT routers come pre-configured to advertise they are FON and BT-WiFi hotspots, but crucially don't work until the owner activates - you most likely have found the flaw in BT's plan!

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User doveman
(newbie) Wed 10-Sep-14 03:59:23
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
If I connect to the only other nearby BT Wifi-with-FON hotspot, then neither app can authorise, so again either that's a fake hotspot or it confirms that I can only connect to my own router's hotspot.

Given the BT routers come pre-configured to advertise they are FON and BT-WiFi hotspots, but crucially don't work until the owner activates - you most likely have found the flaw in BT's plan!

Indeed. Well that sucks but I'm moving to Sky anyway, as they're giving me free line rental and broadband for 12 months! The have their own network, although I can't say I've ever seen a Sky hotspot. Guess I'll just have to use 3G.
Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Wed 10-Sep-14 09:50:27
Print Post

So does that mean that many of the hotspots shown on the FON and BT WIFI maps don't actually exist - i.e. the maps include many non-functional hotspots due to owners not activating?

If so, the word rip-off springs to mind.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Sep-14 20:13:22
Print Post

[re: Rastus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rastus:
So does that mean that many of the hotspots shown on the FON and BT WIFI maps don't actually exist - i.e. the maps include many non-functional hotspots due to owners not activating?
If so, the word rip-off springs to mind.

I personally assumed so, as we have four "BT Wifi" points visible from work that our clients try to use (we don't have WiFi) and they're coming from nearby houses. None of them work, but they all show a page saying "this BT WiFi point has not been activated by its owner".

So yes, its probably a rip-off idea. Pubs/Shops with BT, Cloud or O2 WiFi are much better.

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 10-Sep-14 20:34:47
Print Post

Given the BT routers come pre-configured to advertise they are FON and BT-WiFi hotspots, but crucially don't work until the owner activates
How time flies laugh
From the middle of March '09 new BT Total Broadband and BT Infinity customers won't need to do anything as they will be automatically opted in to the BT FON community.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User awontroba
(newbie) Thu 11-Sep-14 00:49:15
Print Post

I seem to recall having to explicitly opt in to making my BT Business Hub a hotspot
Perhaps I was just too hasty.

--
Adrian
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to