User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-Sep-14 07:42:57
Print Post

Re: Move BT to PlusNet, BT FON

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
In reply to a post by jchamier:
Given the BT routers come pre-configured to advertise they are FON and BT-WiFi hotspots, but crucially don't work until the owner activates
How time flies laugh
From the middle of March '09 new BT Total Broadband and BT Infinity customers won't need to do anything as they will be automatically opted in to the BT FON community.

My BT infinity 2012 to 2014 used the HomeHub 3 - and for the first two weeks I had the HH3 in use, and I never had the BT Wifi / BT FON enabled automatically. I then used a decent router after that. smile

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 11-Sep-14 23:39:51
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I recently installed a new HH5 which was showing "13. BT Wi-fi: No". That changed to Yes after about 2-3 weeks. I think the ones you have seen showing it as unactivated date from before 2009.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-Sep-14 23:50:42
Print Post

I recently installed a new HH5 which was showing "13. BT Wi-fi: No". That changed to Yes after about 2-3 weeks. I think the ones you have seen showing it as unactivated date from before 2009.

Interesting. I still have my HH3, might have to take it to the office and plug it into our BT Business line and see if it becomes a BT WiFi point smile

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User doveman
(newbie) Fri 12-Sep-14 12:49:54
Print Post

Even if it's default opt-in, people might still be opting-out if they're worried about sharing their broadband with strangers.

I can't say I've seen a webpage saying that the hotspot has not been activated but they don't work nonetheless, so it's not much use and I'll have to use 3G instead.
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Sat 20-Sep-14 09:11:36
Print Post

[re: Stevenage_Neil] [link to this post]

That's 44p more that I've ever got from mine. smile
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Mon 06-Oct-14 14:59:08
Print Post

You can download it here http://www.digitalham.co.uk/fon-free-wifi-apk/

After seeing a post (by TORPC) on Plusnet forum at http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,132530 ,
I went to the Google Play store on this PC and searched for FON, and the FON app came up first in the search.
You can also go there from the Google Play link on the fon home page.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oa...

I then choose Install and installed it from my PC onto my phone ~ no need to download apk file or fiddle with sideloading. As I'm not (yet) a FON member so I haven't been able to verify it all works.

Searching on Play Store on the phone did not show it, and following the link from the FON site brought it up but it wouldn't install in UK.

--
Recently moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Very happy so far.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 06-Oct-14 15:53:29
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

"This app is incompatible with all of your devices."

So if I has searched for it on my phone, it would not have shown.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 60000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Mon 06-Oct-14 16:13:16
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Similar comment in the parallel topic on Plusnet forum http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1325... with someone getting "This item cannot be installed in your devices country"

His suggestion is that I got one of the Plusnet addresses that some sites think is a US address. That could be, though everything I have tried shows me as UK, and it worked for my PC and not for the phone using the same Plusnet connection. Maybe it was locating the mislocating PC from the IP address but using the GPS correctly to locate the phone? All most curious to me.

--
Recently moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Very happy so far.
Standard User roughbeast
(member) Mon 06-Oct-14 16:29:15
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I have been using FON for years now. I can access all BT FON hotspots and other FON hotspots nationally on my mobile devices. There is a phone app also. There are 13 million FON hotspots world-wide too. There are no issues with my ISP. Anyone using my connection is identified by their log on details.

Incidentally, because I live in a residential street, only two members of the public have used my connection in almost 10 years. A basic router, not meant to replace your main router or ISP modem, can be bought for 39,00 FON STORE

Virgin Media: 152mb/12Mb , land line, mobiles x2, TV - VIP HD box + TIVO 1Tb box.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 06-Oct-14 16:51:08
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

I'm sure the error I got has nothing to do with IP addresses, it probably just means it doesn't work on Android 4.4.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 60000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to