User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Jan-15 17:06:55
Print Post

Re: Fascicle PlusNet traffic shaping again

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
Then he could ask to be put on a 40/10 product, that would give plenty of spare SNR instead of the 80/20 capped at 40 one he is one now

That would rob him of 10mbps of upload speed. The problem is Openreach don't offer a 40/20 sync profile, and they should.

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 24-Jan-15 17:09:56
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Openreach should offer the end user a lot of things, such as the option to have DLM disabled should an end user want that but they don't why they didn't supply unlocked modems is another stupid idea

option of no dlm and manual parameter config would be better

Edited by tommy45 (Sat 24-Jan-15 17:13:17)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Jan-15 17:33:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by tommy45:
Openreach should offer the end user a lot of things, such as the option to have DLM disabled should an end user want that but they don't why they didn't supply unlocked modems is another stupid idea

Wires only will solve that, no Openreach modem, use any VDSL router you like. Downside is lots of different modems in use for the DSLAM to manage could mean everyone gets lower speeds.

option of no dlm and manual parameter config would be better

With VDSL being more of a cooperation than ADSL its likely that would mean everyone loses speed. No thanks.

Openreach should have enforced their modem, and supported a basic web interface/display of statistics, and forced all ISPs to use it. Then it would have been similar to the VirginMedia cable modem - and the router manufacturers could concentrate on making good routers with ethernet ports.

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Sat 24-Jan-15 17:43:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for those helpful comments. It turns out that xdslcmd profile --show does not show very much,
but xdslcmd info --cfg shows the state of the configuration and confirms that my earlier configuration attempt was not saved.

And profile --save gives
# xdslcmd profile --save
xdslcmd --save is only supported from Linux404 on ward

The save that did something was one level higher, to the ATP prompt. However, it didn't seem to save the xdslcmd configuration.
# exit
ATP>save
Successed in saving config datas

I'm giving up for now. My line doesn't seem to be in significant danger of getting interleaved (unless I play with the modem too much); but it does seem a shame not to be able to reduce that danger considerably more.

--
Recently moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Very happy so far.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 24-Jan-15 17:46:06
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I can't see how or why speeds would drop because of having different modems as long as those modems comply with the relevant spec's then i don't see this causing problems for anyone else should some choose to buy their own modem, and i can't see how disabling dlm would affect speeds for anyone than the end users who choose to have it disabled manual configs would be fastpath or interleave, increase in SNR or allow hard capping of sync speeds,

Edited by tommy45 (Sat 24-Jan-15 17:47:21)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 24-Jan-15 17:49:38
Print Post

I'm amazed you aren't CEO of a major ISP Tommy smile. You are obviously an ace at xDSLx system design and marketing.

Which ISP are you with at the moment?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.2/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 24-Jan-15 19:02:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

All I'm talking about is Openreach allowing ISP's = end users some control over connections because DLM simply doesn't work well for some infact there was some talk regarding this happening some time ago but so far that's all it was talk
Openreach do allow use of other modems already with wires only FTTC installs I a few years time it's likely that FTTC won't be much different than ADSL except for the boost in speeds of course
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 25-Jan-15 23:01:35
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

by rebooting you lost the setting, it isnt stored.

when you run the command it will initiate a new sync at those settings, but only last for one connection.

Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Mon 26-Jan-15 10:19:09
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
by rebooting you lost the setting, it isnt stored.

when you run the command it will initiate a new sync at those settings, but only last for one connection.

Thank you very much.

xdslcmd configure --maxDataRate 50000 25000 75000 didn't seem to force a resync by itself.
But xdslcmd start --up --maxDataRate 50000 25000 75000 did the trick.

I am now seeing a 14.5 SNR, which should be pretty robust against most fluctuations and reduce risk of getting put on interleaving.
As I expected, speedtests are unchanged. http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
BT wholesale showing 48.4/20 profile, 38.25/17.38 speedtests.

Down            Up
max:            75080          22355
path:           49999          19999
SNR (dB):        14.5            7.1

R:              16              16
N:              254             254
I:              254             127

INP:            0.00            0.00
D:              1               1
delay:          0               0

--
Recently moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Very happy so far.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 26-Jan-15 10:59:41
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Well done smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.2/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to