User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 17-Feb-15 23:45:53
Print Post

Re: Seems like I am getting the new router

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

if you wont use it, why did you order it? its optional.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 17-Feb-15 23:48:44
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

for whatever reason it seems AAISP couldnt make a deal with talktalk for FTTC backhaul?

When I contacted them a while back they said they only offer talktalk baclkhaul on adsl services.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Feb-15 22:32:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Or to put it another way, the pipes that carry 'the Internet' by a group like TalkTalk are sub-divided based on what different firms are willing to pay for capacity.

Pay the least and you will get a small shared pipe, pay a more reasonable amount and better sized pipes with lower peak contention become possible.

Tiscali mastered this game years ago, and that is where TalkTalk wholesale really comes from. The Tiscali retail service was often very poor, but resellers willing to sell buy at a slightly higher price could get much better service.

I know how it works, well kind of,. I think it is the thought of Talk talk, Plusnet is the best of the four evils I think, even if Plusnet do belong to BT.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

ALLPAY Wireless broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Feb-15 22:36:29
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
if you wont use it, why did you order it? its optional.

I was not going to, but always useful to have a spare, just in case. I remember when someone i know had a problem with their BT homehub and it took 4 days to get another one to them, so four days without the net. Well it would have been if I did not have spare routers to lend them.
ADSl days then.

The one thing I am worried about is I have heard the BTOR modem can be a bit unreliable, but syaing that I know a few people with them and they seem ok, One did overheat a couple of years back, but the replacement is ok.
I may get a spare one of them from Ebay, but some people are asking stupid money for something they got for free.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 18-Feb-15 22:50:39
Print Post

The early (HG612) ones were very prone to overheat. AT that time I don't think there were any ECIs.

Due to the failure rate, which meant an engineer visit to replace them, in the end the hardware was updated. The fully OK ones are the model 3B, which have a white mains plug. The dodgy ones, (mine which I have as a spare never gave me any trouble but I acquired a 3B), have a black mains plug. Unless of course when buying one someone diddles you.

The 3B is clear on the underneath label.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.5/15.1Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 19-Feb-15 17:30:47
Print Post

My LLU FTTC line is likely to flip during the summer, and give TalkTalk a spin again, when I had their ADSL2+ it performed with no issues at all, but then only needed to chase support once and that was to request DLM intervention via the user forums, which worked just needed some patience.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Feb-15 22:01:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
My LLU FTTC line is likely to flip during the summer, and give TalkTalk a spin again, when I had their ADSL2+ it performed with no issues at all, but then only needed to chase support once and that was to request DLM intervention via the user forums, which worked just needed some patience.

Flip?

Well, the new router is here, five more days to go.

Adrian

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to