User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Feb-15 11:29:27
Print Post

Seems like I am getting the new router

[link to this post]

According to my account summery, Plusnet is sending me the Sagecom router, I doubt it will ever be used, but useful as a spare. I wonder if it have better Wi-fi than the Thomson, I may take it to my mates place and try it there to see if it is better than his Thomson. or what ever they call them these days.
I presume they are not locked to accounts.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Sun 15-Feb-15 15:52:58
Print Post

Re: Seems like I am getting the new router

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

You can probably set it up as a switch for experiment at home and do an exact side-by-side comparison with your main router.

--
Recently moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Very happy so far.
Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Feb-15 16:32:49
Print Post

The TR069 autosetup is locked to your account
You may need to disable it

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Feb-15 17:37:03
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oldjim:
The TR069 autosetup is locked to your account
You may need to disable it

Really, why would they do that? Like my mate is on Plusnet anyway, but he have the Thomson rubbish thing where have a Wi-fi signal as good as a bit of wet string.
I thought since I would not be using the Sagecom anyway, he could have it on long term loan.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Feb-15 17:46:52
Print Post

because it is permanently linked to your account and if, for some reason it rebooted it is liable to finish up with your username and pasword
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Feb-15 19:18:16
Print Post

Can you disable TR069 on PN? EE is similar but you can't disable it.

And even if you did disable it, when it is factory reset it will be re-enabled, which is when linking to original owner comes into play.

EDIT: Surely just a reboot isn't going to trigger TR069? It already has valid userID/pwd.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sun 15-Feb-15 19:21:16)

Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Feb-15 19:27:46
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Whether it survives a reboot I have no idea but it certainly doesn't survive a hard reset and if it gets its knickers in a twist it could certainly screw things up
You can disable it via the portal https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=myconnection
Look at Automatic Hardware Setup
There is another factor - and I have no idea what happens in this case - apparently you can only have one router linked to the automatic setup system so if you receive two does the first one get taken off the system or does the second one not get added
An example
I had a TG582n where the auto setup worked but I received one of the new ones and it didn't
Whether that was a glitch or not I haver no idea

Edited by Oldjim (Sun 15-Feb-15 19:28:39)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Feb-15 08:00:48
Print Post

Unless it has changed it's a mess! Getting a new router didn't remove the old one, disabling/enabling seems to affect all routers ever received by the account.

See http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1330...

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Feb-15 09:43:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by Oldjim:
because it is permanently linked to your account and if, for some reason it rebooted it is liable to finish up with your username and pasword

I hate these auto set up rubbish, this is why even if I went with BT or Talk Talk i would use my own router. We had to set up our own systems years ago, do these providers think we are not capable anymore?

Maybe people are not as it is too easy now,

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Feb-15 09:49:36
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Oh well, it is not that important, I just thought since I doubt i would use the router, it may work better on wi-fi than the Thomson one my mate have got. In fact he have two of them, not sure why Plusnet sent him two.

Why are you not sure how much longer you will be with plusnet?

Adrian

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Feb-15 10:13:22
Print Post

Years ago most people paying for broadband were of a more technical background (or at least willing to invest time to get it working).

Now it is "mass market" there are far more people who don't want to have to learn how to set it up and just want something that works.

Some ISPs cater better for the more technical people than others.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Feb-15 10:19:18
Print Post

1. I'm not totally impressed with the way the company is going. When things are going well it's fine but when it goes wrong they can take an age to get it sorted. If you rely on the connection that is a risk.

2. I'm on a Market one exchange and my usage is always well below 50GB per month so the cost would be very little different if I moved to AAISP.

3. TalkTalk Wholesale is available which is another reason for considering AAISP - faster speeds for no extra cost compared with the £7.83 for Max Premium.

When I joined Plusnet it was a good choice for the technically inclined (probably on a par with Zen) at a reasonable price. Perhaps the fact I'm looking at AAISP says more about me than Plusnet?

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer

Edited by jelv (Mon 16-Feb-15 10:23:00)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 16-Feb-15 12:14:31
Print Post

I've stopped recommending them except in exceptional circumstances. I'm not considering leaving at the moment, but am keeping a wary eye on the direction. There is no way at the moment I would renew for 12/18 months for any sort of deal or discount.

Having said that, I'm not strongly recommending against them. But there are too many niggling problems that aren't being addressed at all.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.5/15.1Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Feb-15 17:35:02
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Years ago most people paying for broadband were of a more technical background (or at least willing to invest time to get it working).

Now it is "mass market" there are far more people who don't want to have to learn how to set it up and just want something that works.

Some ISPs cater better for the more technical people than others.

I think you hit the nail on the head, people just want it to work. I suppose came into the computer age of ZX81 and when I eventually went from the spectrum, CBM 64 machines to the AMiga, we had to do things our self. Even when i got my first Pc, windows 95, 166Mhz setting the thing up and keeping it working was to be honest a pain in the backside.

The internet then was a dial up modem and I suppose over the years things have got easier.

But I am one of these people who prefer to set things up myself and I hate it when providers try to take that away from me.

Saying that, the provider I have now done something like it, but only with the modem which is on my roof, like BTOR FTTC modem it is pretty much locked, I can get info from it like strength of signal where the base station is and that is about it, but only if I connect my computer directly to it. But i supplied my own router, mainly because it was cheaper than going for Belkin they recommended and also I do not like Belkin.

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Feb-15 18:13:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by jelv:
1. I'm not totally impressed with the way the company is going. When things are going well it's fine but when it goes wrong they can take an age to get it sorted. If you rely on the connection that is a risk.

2. I'm on a Market one exchange and my usage is always well below 50GB per month so the cost would be very little different if I moved to AAISP.

3. TalkTalk Wholesale is available which is another reason for considering AAISP - faster speeds for no extra cost compared with the £7.83 for Max Premium.

When I joined Plusnet it was a good choice for the technically inclined (probably on a par with Zen) at a reasonable price. Perhaps the fact I'm looking at AAISP says more about me than Plusnet?

Now I am getting a bit worried if I made the right choice or not. the problem is there is very little choice unless you go for stupid prices. I know my provider is not super cheap, £30 a month for 10Mb/s broadband, but it did do what I wanted and it still would if they could get things sorted quicker.

TalkTalk, while i did think of it at one time, was not really high up in my list and to be honest I do not think I would pay AAISP prices to be pushed onto Talk Talk network.
I suppose I am lucky that i am on a Market 3 exchange in that the prices are better.

what annoys me is that the large providers have knocked out a lot of the smaller providers and the smaller providers while they are pretty good on prices with ADSL, they seem to fall apart on FTTC.

Ok, I know Talk Talk silly prices of £3.50 for ADSl is to be honest is too little, it makes me wonder how they can offer a service for that amount, Oh i forgot, they don't. what they offer is a service where if it works then fine, if it don't, then don't go looking at a decent customer service.
While plusnet is still cheap compared to a few years ago at least they have not gone stupid, ok they do have a £2.50 for 12 months offer, but then it goes back up to a what I call still below cost £9.99.
This is for ADSL and not fibre, I think it is because of these cheap prices that the broadband market is as bad as it is where customer service is in the pan. But I also think that some charge way to much and to not offer much for it. People just buy because of the name.

I admit if I had decent ADSL giving me about 10 Mb/s or more I doubt I would have changed to where I am now, mind you ADSL24 being taken over would have made me move to another provider.

I never needed super high speed, but I do need a constant speed that can cope with Netflix HD and a few downloads, not bothered if it is at the same time or not. As long as plusnet can offer me that I should be ok. Yeah, sure I am going to like the extra speed and if I can get more than they say, then fine, but I am not going to worry about it

Adrian

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Feb-15 19:09:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by jelv:

I went with Plusnet purely because they are/were the only mainstream price ISP with a static IP option. My usage varies from 50gb/month to nearly 200gb/month and once you go over about 60gb/month, then AAISP are too expensive. Especially with Fibre.

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Feb-15 19:12:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
TalkTalk, while i did think of it at one time, was not really high up in my list and to be honest I do not think I would pay AAISP prices to be pushed onto Talk Talk network.
I suppose I am lucky that i am on a Market 3 exchange in that the prices are better.

You're confusing TalkTalk ISP with TalkTalk network which AAISP know is good and run their constant quality monitor over it. (AAISP used to use BE/O2 wholesale until that went).

what annoys me is that the large providers have knocked out a lot of the smaller providers and the smaller providers while they are pretty good on prices with ADSL, they seem to fall apart on FTTC.

Usage goes up with FTTC, especially with Netflix/Amazon Instant, and the smaller providers can't cope.

I admit if I had decent ADSL giving me about 10 Mb/s or more I doubt I would have changed to where I am now, mind you ADSL24 being taken over would have made me move to another provider.

I have a friend who gets a 23meg sync with Sky, and has no interest in fibre.

I never needed super high speed, but I do need a constant speed that can cope with Netflix HD and a few downloads, not bothered if it is at the same time or not. As long as plusnet can offer me that I should be ok. Yeah, sure I am going to like the extra speed and if I can get more than they say, then fine, but I am not going to worry about it

You'll be fine with plusnet, I was unsure last June, but moved and had no issues. Stuck here until end of the year anyway, but not seen anyone better for the money / product. I've only spoken to support once when I started.

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Feb-15 12:11:05
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
You're confusing TalkTalk ISP with TalkTalk network which AAISP know is good and run their constant quality monitor over it. (AAISP used to use BE/O2 wholesale until that went).

Still Talk Talk at the end of the day, i seen how Talk Talk network works or are you saying that Talk Talk dumbs down their own services on their own network and allows other providers to offer a better service?

Usage goes up with FTTC, especially with Netflix/Amazon Instant, and the smaller providers can't cope.

And that is the problem, i would have loved to use something like Zen, but prices are higher than I am paying now and to be honest, with the way things are at the moment, price is a bit more important than it was this time last year.
After the initial contract is over with plusnet and when I get back to work, I will look at options again.
I have a friend who gets a 23meg sync with Sky, and has no interest in fibre.

A mate of mine gets about 13Mb/s with Vivaciti on ADSL and until noww have not been interested in changing over to Fibre. but since he is considering going to Uni and it will be his Mother that will be paying the bill,when he is gone, he is looking at rolling in the Sky Tv, in with sky broadband.

I think Vivaciti now uses the Talk Talk network instead of Cable and wireless, he have noticed a small drop in speed, but nothing huge.

You'll be fine with plusnet, I was unsure last June, but moved and had no issues. Stuck here until end of the year anyway, but not seen anyone better for the money / product. I've only spoken to support once when I started.

I spoken to support once already and sent a few messages to them as they did not seem to know when my connection was being done. they first said one date and then another and then when they got back to the original date, they yet sent me another email to change it again.

It may have been confusing for them, because I do not have have a working phone line and they wanted to come here the day after the Fibre was put in to get my phone working. I thought that was done at the exchange.

Anyway, all sorted now, and connection will be on the 24th for both phone and Fibre. But it did make me worry a bit, also they took so long to answer the phone, which is a bit worrying again as if they take that long, how many people are having problems?

Not much I can do now anyway, I just got to see how it goes, I did not really want to go back to fixed line broadband, but sadly I am left with little choice.
I like being different smile

Adrian

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Feb-15 16:43:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Still Talk Talk at the end of the day, i seen how Talk Talk network works or are you saying that Talk Talk dumbs down their own services on their own network and allows other providers to offer a better service?

The bit you've seen is the INTERNET bit side. There is the completely different bit on how data gets from your home to one of their points-of-presence (PoP). This is the wholesale side. Other ISPs use the WHOLESALE side and then connect to their own PoP.

Think of this as dialling different phone numbers back in the days of dialup.

AAISP wouldn't be offering the rock-bottom level of quality of TalkTalk retail.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Feb-15 18:41:04
Print Post

Or to put it another way, the pipes that carry 'the Internet' by a group like TalkTalk are sub-divided based on what different firms are willing to pay for capacity.

Pay the least and you will get a small shared pipe, pay a more reasonable amount and better sized pipes with lower peak contention become possible.

Tiscali mastered this game years ago, and that is where TalkTalk wholesale really comes from. The Tiscali retail service was often very poor, but resellers willing to sell buy at a slightly higher price could get much better service.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 17-Feb-15 23:45:53
Print Post

if you wont use it, why did you order it? its optional.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 17-Feb-15 23:48:44
Print Post

for whatever reason it seems AAISP couldnt make a deal with talktalk for FTTC backhaul?

When I contacted them a while back they said they only offer talktalk baclkhaul on adsl services.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Feb-15 22:32:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Or to put it another way, the pipes that carry 'the Internet' by a group like TalkTalk are sub-divided based on what different firms are willing to pay for capacity.

Pay the least and you will get a small shared pipe, pay a more reasonable amount and better sized pipes with lower peak contention become possible.

Tiscali mastered this game years ago, and that is where TalkTalk wholesale really comes from. The Tiscali retail service was often very poor, but resellers willing to sell buy at a slightly higher price could get much better service.

I know how it works, well kind of,. I think it is the thought of Talk talk, Plusnet is the best of the four evils I think, even if Plusnet do belong to BT.

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Feb-15 22:36:29
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
if you wont use it, why did you order it? its optional.

I was not going to, but always useful to have a spare, just in case. I remember when someone i know had a problem with their BT homehub and it took 4 days to get another one to them, so four days without the net. Well it would have been if I did not have spare routers to lend them.
ADSl days then.

The one thing I am worried about is I have heard the BTOR modem can be a bit unreliable, but syaing that I know a few people with them and they seem ok, One did overheat a couple of years back, but the replacement is ok.
I may get a spare one of them from Ebay, but some people are asking stupid money for something they got for free.

Adrian

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 18-Feb-15 22:50:39
Print Post

The early (HG612) ones were very prone to overheat. AT that time I don't think there were any ECIs.

Due to the failure rate, which meant an engineer visit to replace them, in the end the hardware was updated. The fully OK ones are the model 3B, which have a white mains plug. The dodgy ones, (mine which I have as a spare never gave me any trouble but I acquired a 3B), have a black mains plug. Unless of course when buying one someone diddles you.

The 3B is clear on the underneath label.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.5/15.1Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 19-Feb-15 17:30:47
Print Post

My LLU FTTC line is likely to flip during the summer, and give TalkTalk a spin again, when I had their ADSL2+ it performed with no issues at all, but then only needed to chase support once and that was to request DLM intervention via the user forums, which worked just needed some patience.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Feb-15 22:01:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
My LLU FTTC line is likely to flip during the summer, and give TalkTalk a spin again, when I had their ADSL2+ it performed with no issues at all, but then only needed to chase support once and that was to request DLM intervention via the user forums, which worked just needed some patience.

Flip?

Well, the new router is here, five more days to go.

Adrian

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to