ok, i sent a trouble shooting thing to plusnet, went through all their bits, like connecting the computer directly to the modem and I got 37Megabits.
thinking that the problem may be thre ethernet cable from the moden to the router I connected it all up again and thought i do a quick check and I got 35Mb/s via wi-fi.
so it seems to be working, now I have no idea if Plusnet sorted it out that qquickly or the ethernet cable was not int he modem right as the BT man put it in.
What ever if it was plusnet that sorted it, thank you and also thinks to you lot on here.
This is what the BT test told me
Download speedachieved during the test was - 35.48 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 31.89 Mbps-39.86 Mbps .
IP Profile for your line is - 39.86 Mbps
Thanks once again.
Now I am exhausted from running up and down the stairs, getting long Ethernet cables out from cupboards. flipping chemo.
So going to have a lie down
Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux
ALLPAY Wireless broadband