User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Feb-15 19:42:15
Print Post

Re: All installed

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Happy now.

Good to know its working at the speed you're paying for smile

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Feb-15 09:48:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Pleased it's sorted. Problems like that are the last thing you need at any time, never mind right now. At least you don't need to fret about it for days smile.

Oh - sig and profile to update.

I certainly don't need the hassle at the moment, Got enough problems as it is. i am happy now, it working fine, i keep doing speed tests at the moment to check, I am sure I will get board of that eventully and just use it as normal.
The higher speed is great, certainly makes a difference with Netflix.

Saying that I still liked my old service and may have stayed with them if they gave me the speed I was paying for, but they are still god for what they was set up for and hopefully in the next few months they will get things sorted.

As you may know I really did not want to go back onto a BT network, but here I am, things happen for a reason I suppose.

Still 33 and I am downloading update for windows, now I got that bit working, nothing to do with broadband, just windows being a pain in the neck.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Feb-15 09:50:18
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Happy now.

Good to know its working at the speed you're paying for smile

Good to know that it is working to a speed I want or above that speed, I was expecting about 25, because that is all my next door neighbour gets with BT. I am getting more, I normally do anyway, even when they was on ADSL, I got more than them.

I checked their profile last nigh and it is 25, I wonder why it is so low, surly they should be able to get the same as me as they come from the same cabinet

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Sat 28-Feb-15 15:21:46
Print Post

Sometimes routes to the cabinet even for neighbours can be very different, depending on how things were when it was first installed, closest poles, etc.

Are your estimates fairly close?

--
Recently moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Very happy so far.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Mar-15 08:42:23
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Plus the actual cable and joints could be worse for the neighbour.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Mar-15 10:04:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by StephenTodd:
Sometimes routes to the cabinet even for neighbours can be very different, depending on how things were when it was first installed, closest poles, etc.

Are your estimates fairly close?

No, my neighbours is 25 max, mine is 38 max.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Mar-15 10:04:41
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Plus the actual cable and joints could be worse for the neighbour.

could be. how is the profile worked out?

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Mon 02-Mar-15 10:35:06
Print Post

What do you mean when you say 'profile'?

The profile that you get from the BT speedtester (http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/, and Further Diagnostics) is derived from the actual sync speed between cabinet and modem (profile = 0.97 * sync speed). The sync speed is set by negotiation between the cabinet and modem, with a maximum imposed by DLM based on what it thinks is the fastest possible stable connection speed. DLM will occasionally change this maximum as it constantly monitors the line.

The estimate from the estimate site (https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/) is based on a database that has various information. Most important is the distance from the cabinet, which the database usually but not always has right. They have gradually been refining this; for example it used not to have any information about quality of a particular line or whether it used aluminium cables (a speed killer for FTTC), but I think (???) that it now does include knowledge for FTTC connected lines based on their actual behaviour. That can make the estimator more accurate, but can also make it more difficult to see if speed is low because of distance from the cabinet or because of problems with a particular line.

Very few people know all the details about how either DLM or the estimator work; I certainly don't. If I've read what you say right it looks as if the profile and estimate for your neighbours line are pretty much equivalent and so for some reason he is probably stuck with those speeds, at least for now.

--
Recently moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Very happy so far.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Mar-15 10:14:49
Print Post

Bt have a profile system, mine is about 38 top, my next door neighbour is around 25. So no matter what we do their FTTC will always be about 24Mb/s max.
You more or less told me what I wanted to know, thanks for that.

It seems like my next door neighbour is stuck with the speed they have got then. That is a fair difference between mine and theirs, around 14Mb/s difference. I do not think they are worried, they hardly use it, I wonder why they got it to be honest, the only thing that seems to go on the net these days is their tablet and they don't use it for streaming. the computer is switched off more than it is turned on.
Oh, I just thought their son sometimes use the net for Netflix, but not that often as he is not there that often.

I just thought if I could do anything to up the speed i would, but it seems like I can't.

Thanks anyway.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 03-Mar-15 12:25:53
Print Post

The IP Profile is determined by the sync speed, as you know. It cannot cause anything like what you say.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 52.8 (interleaved)/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to