User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 03-Mar-15 15:30:37
Print Post

Re: All installed

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

RobertoS can you be kind enough to settle something for me?

I posted your last nights tbb thread on plusnet's forums, did you hop to avoid bad performance? as is a ton of latency followed by a short bout of loss and then normal after.

Plusnet Fibre Unlimited BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 03-Mar-15 18:34:34
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Yes. It was the same on the night of 1 March and on neither day was the connection in significant use.

Date/time Connected at | gateway | approx. BQM/BBC.co.uk latency | Comments if appropriate
02/03/15 21:50 pcl-bng02 22ms
01/03/15 19:50 pcl-ag07 21ms Dreadful evening latency
01/03/15 12:16 ptw-bng01 23ms interleaved

Without looking back, which I will if you remind me in a couple of days if I haven't done, I don't think I have had anything like that for many months. No time now and a couple of busy days (by my standards) coming up.

From other posts I have seen it's definitely related to gateways.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 52.8 (interleaved)/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 03-Mar-15 18:35:07)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Mar-15 20:57:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The IP Profile is determined by the sync speed, as you know. It cannot cause anything like what you say.

That is true, forgot about that. the problem is with the modem being locked I can not find out what the sync speed is and as it is not my moden, I am not going to muck around with it.
It was just a thought really and wondering why the difference. i would ask my other neighbour what they get, but
(a) I do not really get on with them
(b) i doubt they will have no idea what I am on about anyway, even their kids as I was the one who always sorted their computers out. They have to do it now.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Mar-15 00:09:36
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Does the BT wholesale speed test/diagnostics not reveal sync speed and profile speed? It does for ADSL.

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 04-Mar-15 01:26:42
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

FTTC no. ADSL - does it? (So long since I saw one I can't remember - I thought it only gave IP Profile and tested throughput speed).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 52.8 (interleaved)/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 04-Mar-15 01:38:26
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Assuming they are also on Plusnet, or another BT Wholesale ISP - not Sky or TalkTalk, the IP Profile on FTTC is 0.9679 x sync. So either divide IP Profile by that or multiply by 1.033. I always divide, so I only have to remember one number.

On Plusnet there is also the Current line speed to take into consideration, which is supposed to be the IP Profile rounded down to one decimal place.

On FTTC the sync is set by the DSLAM in the cabinet. IP Profile does not apply until handed over to the BT Wholesale MSAN at the exchange.

I suspect one (or more) of five things is affecting your neighbour's speed.

1 - a different routing to the cabinet, which is possible even with houses next door to each other;

2 - problems between the master socket and the cabinet;

3 - dodgy line card or more likely port in the FTTC cabinet;

4 - dodgy connections in one or both cabinets, most likely the PCP;

5 - dodgy home wiring.

I think the last is the most probable.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Mar-15 09:27:12
Print Post

Assuming they are also on Plusnet, or another BT Wholesale ISP - not Sky or TalkTalk, the IP Profile on FTTC is 0.9679 x sync. So either divide IP Profile by that or multiply by 1.033. I always divide, so I only have to remember one number.

On Plusnet there is also the Current line speed to take into consideration, which is supposed to be the IP Profile rounded down to one decimal place.

On FTTC the sync is set by the DSLAM in the cabinet. IP Profile does not apply until handed over to the BT Wholesale MSAN at the exchange.

I suspect one (or more) of five things is affecting your neighbour's speed.

1 - a different routing to the cabinet, which is possible even with houses next door to each other;

2 - problems between the master socket and the cabinet;

3 - dodgy line card or more likely port in the FTTC cabinet;

4 - dodgy connections in one or both cabinets, most likely the PCP;

5 - dodgy home wiring.

I think the last is the most probable.

They are with BT, I suppose it could be the home wiring, if it was not great when the FTTc was installedm then that would knock it all down.
It is strange and I am surprised that the BT bloke did not look at the extensions. The one who came here looked at mine and reconnected it.

As i said it is not too important, I was just wondering.
thanks anyway

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Wed 04-Mar-15 11:07:54
Print Post

Assuming they are also on Plusnet, or another BT Wholesale ISP - not Sky or TalkTalk, the IP Profile on FTTC is 0.9679 x sync.

There is an occasional exception to that for some people. The profile is established from the sync speed at the time the router makes a new PPPoE connection. Usually when the modem resyncs this causes the router PPPoE connection to be lost, and so the profile is automatically reset. However, sometimes the modem resync is fast enough that the router does not notice the lost lower level connection; there is no new PPPoE connection made and the profile is not refreshed (stale profile).

This seems to vary from hardware to hardware. Some people have never seen it, and I have found that almost all the overnight modem resyncs forced by DLM pass unnoticed (unlocked HG612 and HH3B). This especially applies after a lowered speed from some incident, and while expecting/hoping for a DLM increase at some point. That is why I suggest for people with an unlocked modem to check periodically the sync/profile relationship, or with no unlocked modem, to disconnect/reconnect the router (not modem) each morning in case there was a sync increase overnight.

--
Recently moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Very happy so far.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 05-Mar-15 17:28:57
Print Post

ok thanks

Plusnet Fibre Unlimited BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to