User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Feb-15 16:29:53
Print Post

All installed

[link to this post]

, but still not working smile

Modem is in and synced, Mr BTOR man said it was a pretty good speed it was synced at, but that will drope when Plusnet activate the service as I only paid for 38Mb/s, still shocked the synced speed is over 70.

Just got to wait now for Plusnet to activate my service, according to my account that will be tomorrow afternoon. Seems strange that I got this equipment in and I can't use it until tomorrow. smile

I must say one thing, I never really liked BT, but the person they sent to me today, was friendly and efficient. He even was telling me how the fibre system worked and how it was connected.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Feb-15 16:35:45
Print Post

Re: All installed

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Ring them up and they'll activate it straight away.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Feb-15 17:07:40
Print Post

If you ordered the 40/20 or( 38/18 for asa purposes ) the sync will remain the same as it is now ,unless DLM intervenes , you may as well of paid a bit more gone for the 80/20 (76/18) product and made use of your short d'side , you still maybe able to , as there is no changes needed by BT openreach or wholesale, the 38mbps cap is done on plusnets side internal to them so shouldn't really need starting a new min term ect, just a config change ,should you want to do that

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 24-Feb-15 17:08:51)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 24-Feb-15 17:13:42
Print Post

As Ian says. Ring them up. Otherwise they will wait until they get the notification from Openreach that it is done.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 60.0/17.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Tue 24-Feb-15 17:19:07
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

If you decide to keep the 40/20 and have an unlocked HG612 you may wish artificially to reduce your sync speed. This will give a higher SNR and make the line even more stable than it would be at the normal sync speed, but won't reduce your actual speed (as PlusNet are already doing that for the 40Mbps package). Even though I can get a sync of 75Mbps I find the PlusNet 40/20 ideal for my needs. I very rarely feel any real world loss from the reduction from 75 to 40; just occasionally on the very large downloads, and certainly not £5 a month's worth of difference.

Details at
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1361...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
copied here ...

PlusNet 40/20 contract is unusual in that they contract with Openreach for 80/20 and then reduce download to 40 on the PlusNet side. The VDSL modem connection to the cabinet uses the fastest sync that DLM will allow it. There is always a risk that intermittent noise will cause errors on the line, and if you are unlucky can even cause DLM to introduce interleaving.

This risk can be considerably reduced by a more conservative sync speed with associated higher SNR, and without compromising on actual speed. I have been looking into this on and off since moving to PlusNet, and have finally cracked it; with lots of help at http://forums.thinkbroadb...raffic-shaping-again.html

You need an unlocked HG612. telnet to it (probably telnet 192.168.1.1, user admin, password admin) end enter sh to go into the BusyBox shell. (If you don't know how to do this anyway, don't try.)
Then enter the command
xdslcmd start --up --maxDataRate 50000 25000 75000

If your sync was previously above 50000 this will give you a lower sync rate and higher downstream SNR: my downstream SNR is now 14.5db.
As I expected, speedtests are unchanged. http://www.thinkbroadband...om/speedtest/results.html
BT wholesale showing 48.4/20 profile, 38.25/17.38 speedtests.
I expect my error rates to go down, and feel pretty sure I will only get interleaved if something quite bad happens.

This will only last until the next time the modem resyncs. If you add the command
xdslcmd configure --maxDataRate 50000 25000 75000
I think (?) it will last until the next modem reboot/restart.

You could probably get away with --maxDataRate 40000 20000 60000,
especially if your MAX sync is nearer to 40000, but I thought a little 'headroom' wouldn't do any harm.

Down Up
max: 75080 22355
path: 49999 19999
SNR (dB): 14.5 7.1

R: 16 16
N: 254 254
I: 254 127

INP: 0.00 0.00
D: 1 1
delay: 0 0

--
Recently moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Very happy so far.

Edited by StephenTodd (Tue 24-Feb-15 17:19:59)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Feb-15 22:22:05
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

cheers people, well it was activated about 6ish, so not too bad. It seems ok, a little slow at the moment, but I been told it will speed up, in fact it have gone from 5Mb/s to 20, I expect it will go faster.

Not really bothered about up to 80 to be honest, the extra cost for a bit more speed is not worth it. As long as i can watch Netflix and browse the net, that is all I am really bothered about. The higher upload speed will be useful, if it does get any higher, 0.5Mb/s at the moment smile I expect that will rise.

Saying that I got to get health sorted before i can make full use of upload speed.
i will keep the info, cheers people

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

(experienced) Tue 24-Feb-15 22:29:57
Print Post

Normally fibre slows down a little after initial activation as DLM learns about the line capability. If you have really got a 70Mbps sync you should be getting very close to your 40Mbps download, and probably well above 10Mbps upload, nearer 20.

It may be that Plusnet have got you on the wrong profile by mistake. You might need to give them (another?) ring to check.

Good luck with your health and then the health of your broadband.

--
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 24-Feb-15 22:30:12
Print Post

That isn't as it should be. FTTC speeds do not improve in that way, though they may change over time, usually downwards.

Turn off the router, then the modem, then the computer. Wait ten minutes. Turn on the modem, when it has sync'ed (should be less than 20 seconds) turn on the router. Once that has the wireless light on turn on the computer.

If connecting wirelessly, try wired.

As a (useful perhaps) point of interest, is it a Huawei or ECI modem?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 60.0/17.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Feb-15 01:01:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That isn't as it should be. FTTC speeds do not improve in that way, though they may change over time, usually downwards.

Turn off the router, then the modem, then the computer. Wait ten minutes. Turn on the modem, when it has sync'ed (should be less than 20 seconds) turn on the router. Once that has the wireless light on turn on the computer.

If connecting wirelessly, try wired.

As a (useful perhaps) point of interest, is it a Huawei or ECI modem?

i will try that now, before bed.

speed is arond 16 now, not great, should be more than that.

It is a ECI modem.

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Feb-15 01:01:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by StephenTodd:
Normally fibre slows down a little after initial activation as DLM learns about the line capability. If you have really got a 70Mbps sync you should be getting very close to your 40Mbps download, and probably well above 10Mbps upload, nearer 20.

It may be that Plusnet have got you on the wrong profile by mistake. You might need to give them (another?) ring to check.

Good luck with your health and then the health of your broadband.

Thank you

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Feb-15 09:30:59
Print Post

Made no difference to the download, still around 16, upload have gone to ten.

I may try the plusnet router later just to see, but I doubt it will make any difference.

Adrian

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 26-Feb-15 18:07:52
Print Post

Ummm. If you didn't use the Plusnet router from the start, what did you use, and what configuration?

Let's hope the DLM hasn't been screwed up.

You've got another thread somewhere on here as well. That's a pain. I'll go and see if there's anything there ....

Edit: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4391839-pow...
Where the speed problem is being discussed already but with little progress so far.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 26-Feb-15 18:13:53)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Feb-15 19:50:20
Print Post

Ummm. If you didn't use the Plusnet router from the start, what did you use, and what configuration?

Yes, I've only worked out he has an ECI modem, and no idea what router. Its quite possible the router is too old/slow to handle anything faster *with PPPoE* in use.

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Feb-15 10:52:52
Print Post

Let's hope the DLM hasn't been screwed up.

You've got another thread somewhere on here as well. That's a pain. I'll go and see if there's anything there ....

Edit: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4391839-pow...
Where the speed problem is being discussed already but with little progress so far.

I been using my TP-link cable router, it is only 2 and a half years old I expect it can cope with a lot higher speed than FTTC can give.

I done a ethernet test, still 16 down, 7 up, I change the router to plusnet, still the same.

changing the router should make no difference to DLM, if I mucked around with the modem that would be another thing, Something is wrong somewhere, I will wait for the ten days and then get in touch with plusnet, not that I think the ten days will make a difference.
I paying £1.50 more a month more or less for a extra 5Mb.s in speed. WOW.
Maybe I should have stayed with my old provider and waited for them to sort it out.

Adrian

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 27-Feb-15 11:59:11
Print Post

Have Plusnet told you to wait ten days? As several of us have said, that is a nonsense.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Feb-15 12:18:29
Print Post

Have Plusnet told you to wait ten days? As several of us have said, that is a nonsense.

No, i thought i should.

this is the result I got from the BT wholesale test

0 Mbps 39.86 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 16.63 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 31.89 Mbps-39.86 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 39.86 Mbps

should I contact plusnet then?

Adrian

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Feb-15 12:49:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:

That's useful to know - your sync speed is about 3.3% higher than this: about 41.2Mbps

You ought to get download speeds of around 37-38Mbps.

should I contact plusnet then?

I would indeed. They might make you wait, but they might check things at their end.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 27-Feb-15 13:24:55
Print Post

As WWWombat says, yes! Something is not right.

It is possible that your account has not been correctly activated.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Feb-15 14:17:27
Print Post

ok, i sent a trouble shooting thing to plusnet, went through all their bits, like connecting the computer directly to the modem and I got 37Megabits.
thinking that the problem may be thre ethernet cable from the moden to the router I connected it all up again and thought i do a quick check and I got 35Mb/s via wi-fi.

so it seems to be working, now I have no idea if Plusnet sorted it out that qquickly or the ethernet cable was not int he modem right as the BT man put it in.

What ever if it was plusnet that sorted it, thank you and also thinks to you lot on here.
This is what the BT test told me

Download speedachieved during the test was - 35.48 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 31.89 Mbps-39.86 Mbps .
Additional Information:

Thanks once again.
Now I am exhausted from running up and down the stairs, getting long Ethernet cables out from cupboards. flipping chemo.

So going to have a lie down

Happy now.

Adrian

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 27-Feb-15 15:39:04
Print Post

Pleased it's sorted. Problems like that are the last thing you need at any time, never mind right now. At least you don't need to fret about it for days smile.

Oh - sig and profile to update.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 27-Feb-15 15:39:48)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Feb-15 19:42:15
Print Post

Happy now.

Good to know its working at the speed you're paying for smile

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Feb-15 09:48:11
Print Post

Pleased it's sorted. Problems like that are the last thing you need at any time, never mind right now. At least you don't need to fret about it for days smile.

Oh - sig and profile to update.

I certainly don't need the hassle at the moment, Got enough problems as it is. i am happy now, it working fine, i keep doing speed tests at the moment to check, I am sure I will get board of that eventully and just use it as normal.
The higher speed is great, certainly makes a difference with Netflix.

Saying that I still liked my old service and may have stayed with them if they gave me the speed I was paying for, but they are still god for what they was set up for and hopefully in the next few months they will get things sorted.

As you may know I really did not want to go back onto a BT network, but here I am, things happen for a reason I suppose.

Still 33 and I am downloading update for windows, now I got that bit working, nothing to do with broadband, just windows being a pain in the neck.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Feb-15 09:50:18
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Happy now.

Good to know its working at the speed you're paying for smile

Good to know that it is working to a speed I want or above that speed, I was expecting about 25, because that is all my next door neighbour gets with BT. I am getting more, I normally do anyway, even when they was on ADSL, I got more than them.

I checked their profile last nigh and it is 25, I wonder why it is so low, surly they should be able to get the same as me as they come from the same cabinet

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
(experienced) Sat 28-Feb-15 15:21:46
Print Post

Sometimes routes to the cabinet even for neighbours can be very different, depending on how things were when it was first installed, closest poles, etc.

Are your estimates fairly close?

--
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Mar-15 08:42:23
Print Post

Plus the actual cable and joints could be worse for the neighbour.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Mar-15 10:04:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by StephenTodd:
Sometimes routes to the cabinet even for neighbours can be very different, depending on how things were when it was first installed, closest poles, etc.

Are your estimates fairly close?

No, my neighbours is 25 max, mine is 38 max.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Mar-15 10:04:41
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Plus the actual cable and joints could be worse for the neighbour.

could be. how is the profile worked out?

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
(experienced) Mon 02-Mar-15 10:35:06
Print Post

What do you mean when you say 'profile'?

The profile that you get from the BT speedtester (http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/, and Further Diagnostics) is derived from the actual sync speed between cabinet and modem (profile = 0.97 * sync speed). The sync speed is set by negotiation between the cabinet and modem, with a maximum imposed by DLM based on what it thinks is the fastest possible stable connection speed. DLM will occasionally change this maximum as it constantly monitors the line.

The estimate from the estimate site (https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/) is based on a database that has various information. Most important is the distance from the cabinet, which the database usually but not always has right. They have gradually been refining this; for example it used not to have any information about quality of a particular line or whether it used aluminium cables (a speed killer for FTTC), but I think (???) that it now does include knowledge for FTTC connected lines based on their actual behaviour. That can make the estimator more accurate, but can also make it more difficult to see if speed is low because of distance from the cabinet or because of problems with a particular line.

Very few people know all the details about how either DLM or the estimator work; I certainly don't. If I've read what you say right it looks as if the profile and estimate for your neighbours line are pretty much equivalent and so for some reason he is probably stuck with those speeds, at least for now.

--
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Mar-15 10:14:49
Print Post

Bt have a profile system, mine is about 38 top, my next door neighbour is around 25. So no matter what we do their FTTC will always be about 24Mb/s max.
You more or less told me what I wanted to know, thanks for that.

It seems like my next door neighbour is stuck with the speed they have got then. That is a fair difference between mine and theirs, around 14Mb/s difference. I do not think they are worried, they hardly use it, I wonder why they got it to be honest, the only thing that seems to go on the net these days is their tablet and they don't use it for streaming. the computer is switched off more than it is turned on.
Oh, I just thought their son sometimes use the net for Netflix, but not that often as he is not there that often.

I just thought if I could do anything to up the speed i would, but it seems like I can't.

Thanks anyway.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 03-Mar-15 12:25:53
Print Post

The IP Profile is determined by the sync speed, as you know. It cannot cause anything like what you say.

Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 52.8 (interleaved)/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 03-Mar-15 15:30:37
Print Post

RobertoS can you be kind enough to settle something for me?

I posted your last nights tbb thread on plusnet's forums, did you hop to avoid bad performance? as is a ton of latency followed by a short bout of loss and then normal after.

Plusnet Fibre Unlimited BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 03-Mar-15 18:34:34
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Yes. It was the same on the night of 1 March and on neither day was the connection in significant use.

Date/time Connected at | gateway | approx. BQM/BBC.co.uk latency | Comments if appropriate
02/03/15 21:50 pcl-bng02 22ms
01/03/15 19:50 pcl-ag07 21ms Dreadful evening latency
01/03/15 12:16 ptw-bng01 23ms interleaved

Without looking back, which I will if you remind me in a couple of days if I haven't done, I don't think I have had anything like that for many months. No time now and a couple of busy days (by my standards) coming up.

From other posts I have seen it's definitely related to gateways.

Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 52.8 (interleaved)/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 03-Mar-15 18:35:07)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Mar-15 20:57:47
Print Post

The IP Profile is determined by the sync speed, as you know. It cannot cause anything like what you say.

That is true, forgot about that. the problem is with the modem being locked I can not find out what the sync speed is and as it is not my moden, I am not going to muck around with it.
It was just a thought really and wondering why the difference. i would ask my other neighbour what they get, but
(a) I do not really get on with them
(b) i doubt they will have no idea what I am on about anyway, even their kids as I was the one who always sorted their computers out. They have to do it now.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Mar-15 00:09:36
Print Post

Does the BT wholesale speed test/diagnostics not reveal sync speed and profile speed? It does for ADSL.

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 04-Mar-15 01:26:42
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

FTTC no. ADSL - does it? (So long since I saw one I can't remember - I thought it only gave IP Profile and tested throughput speed).

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 04-Mar-15 01:38:26
Print Post

Assuming they are also on Plusnet, or another BT Wholesale ISP - not Sky or TalkTalk, the IP Profile on FTTC is 0.9679 x sync. So either divide IP Profile by that or multiply by 1.033. I always divide, so I only have to remember one number.

On Plusnet there is also the Current line speed to take into consideration, which is supposed to be the IP Profile rounded down to one decimal place.

On FTTC the sync is set by the DSLAM in the cabinet. IP Profile does not apply until handed over to the BT Wholesale MSAN at the exchange.

I suspect one (or more) of five things is affecting your neighbour's speed.

1 - a different routing to the cabinet, which is possible even with houses next door to each other;

2 - problems between the master socket and the cabinet;

3 - dodgy line card or more likely port in the FTTC cabinet;

4 - dodgy connections in one or both cabinets, most likely the PCP;

5 - dodgy home wiring.

I think the last is the most probable.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Mar-15 09:27:12
Print Post

Assuming they are also on Plusnet, or another BT Wholesale ISP - not Sky or TalkTalk, the IP Profile on FTTC is 0.9679 x sync. So either divide IP Profile by that or multiply by 1.033. I always divide, so I only have to remember one number.

On Plusnet there is also the Current line speed to take into consideration, which is supposed to be the IP Profile rounded down to one decimal place.

On FTTC the sync is set by the DSLAM in the cabinet. IP Profile does not apply until handed over to the BT Wholesale MSAN at the exchange.

I suspect one (or more) of five things is affecting your neighbour's speed.

1 - a different routing to the cabinet, which is possible even with houses next door to each other;

2 - problems between the master socket and the cabinet;

3 - dodgy line card or more likely port in the FTTC cabinet;

4 - dodgy connections in one or both cabinets, most likely the PCP;

5 - dodgy home wiring.

I think the last is the most probable.

They are with BT, I suppose it could be the home wiring, if it was not great when the FTTc was installedm then that would knock it all down.
It is strange and I am surprised that the BT bloke did not look at the extensions. The one who came here looked at mine and reconnected it.

As i said it is not too important, I was just wondering.
thanks anyway

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
(experienced) Wed 04-Mar-15 11:07:54
Print Post

Assuming they are also on Plusnet, or another BT Wholesale ISP - not Sky or TalkTalk, the IP Profile on FTTC is 0.9679 x sync.

There is an occasional exception to that for some people. The profile is established from the sync speed at the time the router makes a new PPPoE connection. Usually when the modem resyncs this causes the router PPPoE connection to be lost, and so the profile is automatically reset. However, sometimes the modem resync is fast enough that the router does not notice the lost lower level connection; there is no new PPPoE connection made and the profile is not refreshed (stale profile).

This seems to vary from hardware to hardware. Some people have never seen it, and I have found that almost all the overnight modem resyncs forced by DLM pass unnoticed (unlocked HG612 and HH3B). This especially applies after a lowered speed from some incident, and while expecting/hoping for a DLM increase at some point. That is why I suggest for people with an unlocked modem to check periodically the sync/profile relationship, or with no unlocked modem, to disconnect/reconnect the router (not modem) each morning in case there was a sync increase overnight.

--
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 05-Mar-15 17:28:57
Print Post

ok thanks

Plusnet Fibre Unlimited BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to