User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bIOforger
(member) Mon 20-Apr-15 16:35:37
Print Post

Re: Master socket relocation for FTTC install

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
You're getting a little confused, (not surprisingly), by what's involved.

Taking the simple one first, the whole point of the interstitial faceplate the engineer fits to the master is that no re-wiring at the master or to the existing faceplate is required. All they change are the screws holding the faceplate on, using longer ones to go through both the faceplate and filter plate. See this page.

The result is that all the extensions have the broadband filtered out and are phone only. Which is why you would need to remove it. And find the shorter screws then needed!

Now to the speed. Do you know your estimates from the BT Wholesale Checker?

Unless you have completely screwed up wiring then using the extension should make little difference. That's a different discussion. BT Retail, Sky and TalkTalk no longer send an engineer and just supply their modem/router and a dangly filter, just as for ADSLx.

Having the master moved, unless once again your wiring is completely screwed and the engineer realises it and corrects it, again makes absolutely no difference. The same amount of the same cable is still added to your distance from the cabinet, so the speed loss is the same.

Edit - And if the wiring is currently screwed then even an installation at the master needs a pukka OR engineer to realise and correct it.

Well i didn't understand what you meant by the interstitial faceplate, i assumed this is the NTE5 faceplate, which needed rewiring? i guess it doesn't, yes now i'm confused wink

I'm pretty sure my wiring is good, as we get decent speeds over ADSL, approx 4.5-5mbps and we are a fair distance from the exchange.

Yes as per earlier in this thread;
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q204/bIOforger/Mi...

As above for FTTC there's quite a difference is there not? especially towards the low end of the "impacted" scale if we were to use the internal wiring?

I'm not suggesting you are wrong but why do BT/Plusnet etc say it MUST be installed from the master socket then? In fact BT say it simply will not work from an existing extension, it has to be from the master.

NEWNET 8mb MaxDSL Business
NetGear DGN2200

Edited by bIOforger (Mon 20-Apr-15 16:37:37)

Standard User bIOforger
(member) Mon 20-Apr-15 17:03:34
Print Post

[re: bIOforger] [link to this post]

So basically you are saying just plug the OR modem straight into the phone cable that is currently plugged into my ADSL router and see what the sync speed is, as doing it any other way is not going to make much difference at all with the speed?

If its really as simple as that then i will make sure the OR engineer doesn't touch my master socket! laugh

NetGear DGN2200
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 20-Apr-15 17:43:37
Print Post

And you've got me confused as well, as you did a full quote of my reply to Eurostar who has a slightly different question, and then talked as though it was advice I was giving to you. I've already covered your setup at length and with different advice, for different reasons.

(And by the way, there is no need at all to do full quotes all the time of the posts you are replying to smile).

I gave you a link to a page showing how the master, VDSL (interstitial) filter and NTE5A Faceplate come apart.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bIOforger
(member) Mon 20-Apr-15 18:42:08
Print Post

Sorry Robert but this is all new to me, i need the advice as you are probably already well aware smile Sorry yes i did quote your other reply without realising, but it is relevant to me nether the less as Eurostar has a similar deal/setup.

So on one hand the best way is to wire externally straight to a new nte5 plate, or failing that convert the extension to the master.

On the other just plug the OR modem into any extension, but you may suffer a degrade in sync speed or you may not? To be honest if the speed is NOT impacted too much then obviously this would also be my preferred option, as its a 5 second job! I'm just not clear on why BT say this will not work. Regardless the OR engineer will want to play with the master socket and replace it with the VDSL plate at some point.

But I'm still confused on that lol. Surely the faceplate is wired to something and its not just a case of them unscrewing the old one and replacing, what about the extension in my place, i'm sure thats wired into it?

If you've had enough of me i understand and i won't ask anymore questions wink

NetGear DGN2200

Edited by bIOforger (Mon 20-Apr-15 19:47:07)

Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Mon 20-Apr-15 19:26:14
Print Post

It is a Lego construction job which shouldn't tax anyone too much he is able to use a screwdriver.

The installation engineering will carefully disconnects the lower half of the master socket which may or may not have extension wiring attached to it. This reveals a test socket. He then plugs in a filtered faceplate which contains the socket which your modem [or router] is plugged into and has the ability to accept the lower half of the original faceplate. At no point is anything dewired.

This simple task means that downstream of the master socket you won't need any filters nor will you be able to use the salve sockets for internet usage.

You are quite entitled to reverse the process and remove the filtered faceplate enabling you to use any slave socket for an internet service but all sockets used with a voice product will need a filter. It is not an ideal arrangement and may cost you some download speed.

You can get to the master socket official shifted but it's a pricey job costing in excess of a £100. Getting the drop wire replaced is almost impossible at any price.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 20-Apr-15 19:40:49
Print Post

Have a look at this video about the old iPlate. The VDSL2 filter plate fits in exactly the same way, assuming you have an NTE5 master socket. That's the one where the bottom half can clearly be unscrewed and removed.

The VDSL2 filter plate is considerably bulkier than the iPlate and does a different job altogether. (Though it does include the iPlate technology). Why I say to watch the iPlate video is because you can see what happens to the extension wires that are attached to the normal faceplate smile. The various parts with the VDSL2 filter instead of the iPlate, but without any extension wiring, are shown in the link in my earlier post.

You can see my master plus filter on this page, though I have no extensions.

Does that help clarify things?

All the engineer does at your house is fit the VDSL filter, supply and connect the Openreach modem, and test that works and gets around the expected sync speed.

Note that in general with the Openreach modem you aren't able to check the stats in the way you can on ADSLx. There are ways round that but that's a different subject altogether.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User bIOforger
(member) Mon 20-Apr-15 20:04:36
Print Post

Cheers, nice site you have there by the way. Yea it does, but now i know my sockets are the 68mm wide old style ones (LJU?) so not NTE5 (house was built in 84).

NetGear DGN2200

Edited by bIOforger (Mon 20-Apr-15 21:29:09)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 20-Apr-15 20:15:13
Print Post

Have a look at this video from MyMateVince https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrbMpIW-BsU

____________________________________________________________________________Information_without_perspective_is_a_higher_form_of_ignorance________
Standard User bIOforger
(member) Mon 20-Apr-15 21:05:34
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

What do you mean by the drop wire?

Oh you mean the line into the house? well i was hoping it could be spliced into, so that they could do an external install into my PC room, so not replacing it.

NetGear DGN2200

Edited by bIOforger (Mon 20-Apr-15 21:33:03)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 20-Apr-15 23:28:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by bIOforger:
Yea it does, but now i know my sockets are the 68mm wide old style ones (LJU?) so not NTE5 (house was built in 84).
Thanks re the site. But "Yea it does"? Do you mean just the extensions are 68mm, or the master as well. As far as I know there isn't a 68mm NTE5. The size of the extensions doesn't matter.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to