User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bIOforger
(member) Mon 20-Apr-15 23:33:07
Print Post

Re: Master socket relocation for FTTC install

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yea it does, as in your link made things clearer re. NTE5

But my master is 68mm, so an LJU master socket. One of these, but without the BT logo;

http://www.plus.net/images/support/broadband/btmaste...

I haven't got NTE5.

NEWNET 8mb MaxDSL Business
NetGear DGN2200

Edited by bIOforger (Mon 20-Apr-15 23:42:23)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 20-Apr-15 23:46:38
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

He's got a slight error in that vid.

When he talks about just removing the bell wire rather than fitting the iPlate, he says that there could then be a problem if you move from ADSLx to FTTC, as some old phones won't ring.

In a way that's true, but only if the move to FTTC includes the fitting of the VDSL2 faceplate, so obviating the need for filters at the extensions. Retaining the extension filter for a phone that doesn't ring with the bell wire removed will keep it working. (For those who don't know, any decent normal dangly filter makes the bell wire redundant anyway. A tiny few don't).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 20-Apr-15 23:56:50
Print Post

[re: bIOforger] [link to this post]

Then the engineer will fit one, plus the VDSL2 filter to go with it. You need to use your powers of persuasion to get them to fit the new master where your extension currently is.

That might mean he has to do a bit of messing at the existing master, as you shouldn't have two masters in the circuitry, and if all the extensions are wired independently from there there's a bit of work to do. If they are all daisy-chained from there it's possibly a bit easier. (Either remove the "Master" circuitry from it or replace it with a bog-standard extension socket. Plus connect a return pair from the new master).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bIOforger
(member) Tue 21-Apr-15 00:21:09
Print Post

Yes... well this is option 2 in my persuasion plan smile Option 1 is try to get him to go external, directly to my PC room with the OR modem/+net router. I doubt this will happen though smile

NetGear DGN2200

Edited by bIOforger (Tue 21-Apr-15 00:49:31)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 21-Apr-15 00:49:43
Print Post

As long as you ordered the Data Extension Kit you stand a chance.

Standard User bIOforger
(member) Tue 21-Apr-15 01:24:52
Print Post

I did yup, fingers crossed wink

NetGear DGN2200
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Tue 21-Apr-15 06:44:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by bIOforger:
What do you mean by the drop wire?

Oh you mean the line into the house? well i was hoping it could be spliced into, so that they could do an external install into my PC room, so not replacing it.

When repositioning a master socket by an OR engineer it is often the better option to abandon all external and internal wiring and run a new cable from the pole to the new master socket position. I was very lucky in so much as when I had FTTC installed, this is what the OR engineer was prepared to do but then he wasn't a contractor. I personally call the piece of wire from the pole to the exterior of the property a drop wire, whether this is the right term to use, I wouldn't know.

I see that you would be happy to have the same rearrangement except to have a joint created at the end of the drop wire, abandoning all existing wiring and running new cabling to a master socket in a position desired. This is exactly what happened for my neighbour and that was a engineer from Kelly's!

However for my MIL, the installation engineer [Kelly] was not prepared to do anything other than to renew the master socket. I had to subsequently make the best out of a pigs ear. So what you would like and what you might eventually get, is very much a lottery. You can reduce the odds though by ordering the Data Extension Kit.
Standard User bIOforger
(member) Tue 21-Apr-15 10:42:05
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Except mine doesn't come from a pole, its underground and comes up into the front of the house.

Yup i really hope this happens for me, as the other alternatives really won't be any good!

NetGear DGN2200
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Tue 21-Apr-15 11:21:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by bIOforger:
Except mine doesn't come from a pole, its underground and comes up into the front of the house.

Yup i really hope this happens for me, as the other alternatives really won't be any good!

A friend recently moved into a new build house and I "baby sat" for him to deal with the installation engineer. It was an underground supply with a termination point on the exterior of the building. As is common these days, the house was prewired with numerous phone outlets which was prewired into the external termination box. I guess that this would mean that the line could go live without an engineer visit being necessary. However the non standard master socket was not in a suitable position for computer usage.

Mutterings of "it will cost you £150 to re-located the master socket" subsided on the appearance of tea with two sugars and expensive biscuits. After all it was only necessary to disconnect the existing setup at the termination point and run 5 metres of external cable and drill through the wall for the new master socket.

As wireless phones were being used, the fact that all prewired sockets were now dead didn't matter. However it would have been no big deal to run a separate cable to re-connected the prewired phone sockets, replacing the original master socket with a slave. of course.
Standard User bIOforger
(member) Tue 21-Apr-15 14:12:22
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

lol tea and biscuits are already in my persuasion plan. Everyone please cross their fingers as the OR engineer is due next Monday.

NetGear DGN2200
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to