User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bIOforger
(member) Mon 27-Apr-15 16:29:37
Print Post

Re: Master socket relocation for FTTC install

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Estimated line speed:
50Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2015-04-13 21:07:58
Current line speed:
78 Mb

NEWNET 8mb MaxDSL Business
NetGear DGN2200
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 27-Apr-15 17:11:33
Print Post

[re: bIOforger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bIOforger:
Current line speed:
78 Mb

OK, that's not limiting you then - it hasn't been set yet, it should eventually settle to just below your IP profile, which is just under 97% of your sync speed.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 67000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 27-Apr-15 17:22:11
Print Post

Before all that he also tried plugging the OR modem straight into my existing ADSL extension which sync'd at 29/9 on his test socket kit, which as i suspected would be pretty bad as the extension is using cheap phone cable.

Just shows why it is important that an engineer visits the premises. Sadly most ISPs now do self-install, so they just ship a router to you and you plug it in... Needless to say I am sure plenty of people are getting much slower speeds than they could be achieving due to using existing extensions.

Important to note is that this extension would have also significantly slowed down your old ADSL service, which you put up with for years.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 27-Apr-15 17:24:29
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Sadly most ISPs now do self-install, so they just ship a router to you and you plug it in....
BT Consumer, Sky, TalkTalk and ...?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 27-Apr-15 17:24:57)

Standard User bIOforger
(member) Mon 27-Apr-15 17:30:17
Print Post

Important to note is that this extension would have also significantly slowed down your old ADSL service, which you put up with for years.
Indeed! i only realised that up until recently, however i did try a long cat5 cable in its place while i was waiting for the fibre install date and it only made a small difference to the ADSL sync speeds; it went up a few hundred kbps from 4.5mbps to ~4.8mbps. So i don't think my internal copper is in particularly good nick, well average at best.

Plusnet unlimited fibre (FTTC) - sync approx 43000/11000kbps @ ~600m

Edited by bIOforger (Mon 27-Apr-15 17:31:13)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Apr-15 09:25:09
Print Post

It may have taken time to fully gain the benefits, ie your noise margin reducing and the sync increasing... Usually a few weeks for DLM to kick in once the line improves.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Apr-15 09:26:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Sadly most ISPs now do self-install, so they just ship a router to you and you plug it in....
BT Consumer, Sky, TalkTalk and ...?

Yep, the major FTTC ISPs apart from PlusNet.

There's a tonne of other smaller ISPs but the vast majority of customers are covered by BT, Sky, TT and PlusNet (with BT, Sky and TT having the lions share of that).
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 28-Apr-15 15:29:52
Print Post

I would say a high percentage of users visiting these forums do so to avoid those three. And three it is, despite their size.

You said "most" ISPs, so how about the popular smaller ones here (alphabetically) - AAISP; aquiss; IDNet; vivaciti; Xilo/uno; Zen. Then the 100+ others like Claranet.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-Apr-15 10:56:07
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

OK - I did not put my point across perfectly.

If you look at the UK the vast majority of people who have FTTC will be with Sky, BT or TalkTalk. The majority of people will experience a self install.

"Most ISPs" was misleading.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to