User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User longedge
(committed) Fri 10-Jul-15 08:34:07
Print Post

Re: Missing icon from PN portal

[re: awontroba] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by awontroba:
still works for me.

In my case it varies by about 0.5 mps from the BTW further diagnostics page which gives the slightly higher figure. Perhaps some rounding taking place.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 10-Jul-15 09:56:23
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

It's meant to be slightly below the IP Profile. AIUI, these days the round 100kbps below it on FTTC/ADSL2+, (WBMC), perhaps different on ADSL Max (IPStream Connect).

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 10-Jul-15 09:58:37)

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Jul-15 10:12:56
Print Post

[re: awontroba] [link to this post]

Yes I know some links still appear to give access to that page see High Speed Broadband at the bottom of the page in the link below I posted earlier:

http://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide...

Strange.

plusnet user

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 10-Jul-15 11:39:33
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Apprentice:
Yes indeed I wonder what's next to be erased from PN history.

See - http://www.camieabz.co.uk/isp

The PN capacity charts are gone. There's still the profile page (per post above).

Next to go? Customer support stats would be my guess.
Standard User ChrisAO
(newbie) Sat 11-Jul-15 00:05:53
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Well, before I read your response to Apprentice, I was thinking exactly the same.
After today's appalling figures (again) - a few moments ago (before midnight) - I wouldn't be surprised.

Residential call stats Average answer time today 53 minutes and 11 seconds

Business call stats Longest call waiting now 39 minutes and 30 seconds
Average answer time today 39 minutes and 30 seconds

But Plusnet are too stupid to realise it won't matter if this information isn't available, people will time how long they waited and post the information anyway.

As far as the Current Line speed goes, people will just post that Plusnet are capping their speeds if speed test results are below the IP Profile. Again, Plusnet are too stupid to realise what will do the most damage.
It was a diagnostic tool which was used most if there was any speed issues, and most people waited a short while for it to update if it wasn't matching the IP Profile. It's absence will just mean more calls to Support. That's real clever Plusnet.

ChrisAO
Plusnet customer since June 2003.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 11-Jul-15 00:30:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It's meant to be slightly below the IP Profile. AIUI, these days the round 100kbps below it on FTTC/ADSL2+, (WBMC), perhaps different on ADSL Max (IPStream Connect).
Which does result in a reduction of the max downstream throughput level by as much as around 2-3 mbps on a connection that can achive the max sync rate of 80mbps, Even when they manually set it to 78mbps it would still restrict the max throughput rate,artificially capping IMO

Edited by tommy45 (Sat 11-Jul-15 00:32:37)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 11-Jul-15 09:50:29
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

You know very well Tommy that the major reduction is the Openreach IP Profile, which is common to all FTTC, including Sky and TalkTalk. That is ~0.9679 of sync when G.INP is not implemented and ~0.9669 when it is.

As I said, on Plusnet the effect on FTTC of their Current line speed is at most 100kbps.

Deliberate misinformation for the sake of having a rant for the nth time is not helpful to people who come here to have things explained to them.

Edit: Also your references to millibits per second are pathetic from someone who professes to know what they are taling about. Megabits per second is Mbps, equalling 1,000,000mbps.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 11-Jul-15 09:59:56)

Standard User ChrisAO
(newbie) Sat 11-Jul-15 11:03:14
Print Post

One minor correction there Roberto, on FTTC the Current Line speed (Login required) is rounded down to the nearest 200kbps, it's 100kbps on 21CN and it's the exact BT IP Profile on 20CN. HTH.

ChrisAO
Plusnet customer since June 2003.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 11-Jul-15 12:30:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
You know very well Tommy that the major reduction is the Openreach IP Profile, which is common to all FTTC, including Sky and TalkTalk. That is ~0.9679 of sync when G.INP is not implemented and ~0.9669 when it is.

As I said, on Plusnet the effect on FTTC of their Current line speed is at most 100kbps.

Deliberate misinformation for the sake of having a rant for the nth time is not helpful to people who come here to have things explained to them.

Edit: Also your references to millibits per second are pathetic from someone who professes to know what they are taling about. Megabits per second is Mbps, equalling 1,000,000mbps.
Firstly We all know that you are still defending the indefensible (Plusnet)

And my reference of mbps or with a capital M if you prefer was to bandwidth and not HDD space(millibits) lol
And as i have been a plusnet customer too who had a VDSL2 80/20 service, with a BTW IP profile of 77.44Mbps fast-path and 77.35Mbps since G.inp'ed
When the secondary Plusnet profile was set Automatically by their systems to
77.40 or 77.30 the max achievable downstream throughput was around 72.50 or less, when requested by me they set it to 78Mbps throughput was 73.5Mbps
or less
Since i migrated to another ISP would also use WBMC from BTW my throughput is 75Mbps So my conclusion is that their secondary IP profile was restricting /artificially capping my max downstream throughput rate and not by the 100/200Kbps that you alluded too ,

So it could be said that the use of this secondary IP profile is really about them saving bandwidth so their claims of not slowing customers down are factually incorrect IMO

Also there is the other issues reported quite frequently on various forums , that issue being the Failure or long delays in the Plusnet IP profile updating , in the 2yrs that i was a customer, i had to call them several times about this,

usually after DLM had relented and my full sync rates had been re instated the plusnet profile failed to update for more than 24hrs , and was only changed because i rang them and asked them to manually change it

Oh yeah this is very relevant as it is directly related to the now missing icon , line speed or whatever they call it AKA plusnet IP profile and the often incorrect BTW speed estimate ,

I don't think a little info regarding how this secondary IP profile can and does affect customers throughput rates is "Deliberate misinformation" at all people deserve to know about this assuming they didn't already, Why should i keep quiet about it ? toi keep your dream alive maybe?
and another observation you are factually incorrect regarding BT openreach being responsible for the IP profile, The IP profile is a BTWholesale implementation and nothing to do with Openreach

Edited by tommy45 (Sat 11-Jul-15 12:50:03)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 11-Jul-15 14:26:15
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Firstly We all know that you are still defending the indefensible (Plusnet)
Childish rant. You will also find both on these forums and if you know where to look on the Plusnet Community forums many posts by me recently severely criticising Plusnet.

Grow up. Attack the post, not the poster, especially when you are wrong.

Some bits in your new reply may be valid, but not really comprehensible. They may have been fine if you had posted them in an understandable way in the first place, instead of the misinformation you repeat. Some of it however clearly useless without the full context of the figures you give.

You are absolutely right of course about where the IP Profile is set, though my figures are correct. It is also possible on FTTC the PN line speed is up to 200kbps below the IP Profile, as stated by Chris ... checks mine ... IP Profile: 55.82 Mbps; Current line speed: 55.8 Mb, so yes.

The stated reason for the Current line speed is to prevent packet loss at the BT Wholesale MSAN from Plusnet feeding data too fast. Plusnet are able to buffer the feed. I believe that statement.

More importantly, when you say the Current line speed
does result in a reduction of the max downstream throughput level by as much as around 2-3 mbps on a connection that can achive the max sync rate of 80mbps
you are simply wrong. You aren't stupid, therefore you know it isn't true, and are merely blustering rather than admitting you are combining several issues you personally are aggrieved about.

Have you now left Plusnet then? Please could you include the IP Profile when stating your throughput speed of 75Mbps. Any reason for not telling us the new ISP? That might be helpful to somebody, unlike the rest of it.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 11-Jul-15 14:28:38)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to