User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 11-Jul-15 14:27:53
Print Post

Re: Missing icon from PN portal

[re: ChrisAO] [link to this post]

Thanks Chris, I hadn't realised that and was still going on the ADSL2+ figure. See my reply to tommy just now, which has my current figures.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 11-Jul-15 17:48:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hmmm, when did that change I wonder? Confirmed by my 62Mbps (BT) vs 61.8 (Plusnet)

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 65000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 11-Jul-15 18:09:54
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Dunno! I'm fairly sure it was 100kbps, just as per the normal WBMC ADSL2+ one. Do you think the same?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 11-Jul-15 18:18:53
Print Post

Yes, I'm pretty sure it was the last time I checked it.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 11-Jul-15 18:51:11
Print Post

Didn't I nominate you as my referrer, back in 2012? If it disappears, thanks for the fish smile.

I'm looking at my BT Line Rental at the moment - £21.71pm E & W + £1.85 basic 1571 + £1.75 caller display + TPS. (I'd swear I got out of that by contracting for 12 months, and don't remember any reminders). That's £24.31pm rental!

£14 from Pulse8broadband (without the broadband) for all except the E & W. Uno coming up soon probably cheaper.

I made 12 calls in the quarter to 17 April, 6 of which were free, the rest costing £5.85.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 11-Jul-15 18:51:51)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 11-Jul-15 19:30:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Firstly We all know that you are still defending the indefensible (Plusnet)
Childish rant. You will also find both on these forums and if you know where to look on the Plusnet Community forums many posts by me recently severely criticising Plusnet.

Grow up. Attack the post, not the poster, especially when you are wrong.

Some bits in your new reply may be valid, but not really comprehensible. They may have been fine if you had posted them in an understandable way in the first place, instead of the misinformation you repeat. Some of it however clearly useless without the full context of the figures you give.

You are absolutely right of course about where the IP Profile is set, though my figures are correct. It is also possible on FTTC the PN line speed is up to 200kbps below the IP Profile, as stated by Chris ... checks mine ... IP Profile: 55.82 Mbps; Current line speed: 55.8 Mb, so yes.

The stated reason for the Current line speed is to prevent packet loss at the BT Wholesale MSAN from Plusnet feeding data too fast. Plusnet are able to buffer the feed. I believe that statement.

More importantly, when you say the Current line speed
does result in a reduction of the max downstream throughput level by as much as around 2-3 mbps on a connection that can achive the max sync rate of 80mbps
you are simply wrong. You aren't stupid, therefore you know it isn't true, and are merely blustering rather than admitting you are combining several issues you personally are aggrieved about.

Have you now left Plusnet then? Please could you include the IP Profile when stating your throughput speed of 75Mbps. Any reason for not telling us the new ISP? That might be helpful to somebody, unlike the rest of it.

You can try and discredit me all you want, But facts are the plusnet IP profile slowed the max downstream throughput that was achievable by as much as 2.5-3megabits that isn't a rant that is fact,i don't care if you don't believe me, my BTW IP profile is no different now that it was when i was with plusnet in fact there was no re sync or config changes made so is still 77.35( G.inp ) but i get a higher max downstream throughput

If all the other isp's that sell BTW products don't need or use a secondary IP profile why does plusnet, for their traffic shaping /throttling and yes they do as a result throttled back every connection as a result, and this traffic management is of no or little use benefit if you do not use multiple devices connecting to the internet simultaneously & they do not provide an option to opt out of this, So for 2yrs they capped my throughput by 2-3megabits per second thats a small saving on its own but multiplied by their customer base that becomes a huge saving per year, they don't advertise this do they?

Oh BTW it was you who attacked me by calling me a liar delibrately giving mis information, I speak as i find and just because you don't agree or like it, doesn't mean it's untrue

Edited by tommy45 (Sat 11-Jul-15 19:33:37)

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 11-Jul-15 19:43:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Didn't I nominate you as my referrer, back in 2012? If it disappears, thanks for the fish smile.

Yes you did, thanks very much and I picked up a few others subsequently from the forums but you're the only one left as all the others migrated away! Like you I am annoyed by the recent negative changes at Plusnet but at the moment there is nothing that is actually detrimental to my service and I am on a very good deal so I have no immediate plan to move. I certainly won't be renewing the Plusnet LRS when it is due and will be shopping around for a better line rental deal.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 11-Jul-15 21:17:44
Print Post

I have two motives.

The starter was sheer shock at the direction the BT poodle CEO has taken with the recent changes. The huge early-warning sign was the destruction (there is no other word) of the superb Digital Care Team. No doubt there have been many other changes behind the scenes that we don't see.

Then his complete failure to solve the Customer Support phone and ticket services problems despite the huge investment entered into in the Leeds call centre before his arrival(?) to add to the Sheffield one. That has singularly failed and has to be his sole responsibility.
He's been in post over eighteen months.

Now he panics, closes down all easy and from the customer point of view effective methods of contacting support, and even further emasculates the already hog-tied "Customer Relations Team".

I actually have huge sympathy for the poor souls employed in that. The infrequency of their appearance here, and the little they can offer when they do turn up, is as nothing to the scripted platitudes they have obviously been instructed to trot out on the Community Forums. They used to be able to bite through the system and fix obvious wrongs PDQ, but now we get useless replies. (I was looking just now for a particular one but it may take me a while).

They are reduced to being untrained PR people. Their training is in customer support, and damn good nearly all of them were. Some of the new intake to it are clearly newbies to Plusnet, and de facto highly unsuitable to the role we associate with these people.

I don't really want to be a customer of a company that behaves like this to its customers, and to me almost more importantly to its staff. We can walk in a few days. They have it much harder, and must be enduring considerable anguish because of how they are having to respond to us.

That's motive 1. However, so far as I can tell my service since I completely ditched my IPv6 trial login, even though for many weeks it has only given me an IPv4 address, has suddenly gone from unpredictable performance swings to rock-solid. Leaving me in a quandary.

Motive 2 arises from the above, as it caused me to look around. Including the Home::1 package from AAISP. For 78/19.5 that is very expensive, so I looked at their phone prices. Not actually realising how high my BT rental had become.

Lo and behold, AAISP actually have a line-only rental at £10pm!! To which can if desired be added VOIP. Currently investigating now cheaper WLR3 suppliers as the VOIP doesn't really work for my low usage and increases the price, and I'm unsure about having no incoming line if I don't take it.

As a result I now have a couple of FTTC suppliers under consideration as well, but neither requires line rental with them. I may end up with a pick'n'mix.

Or! I may stay with PN on price grounds while my service is good. But what if I get a problem? Will they be any use at all? I have my doubts. Line rental is definitely moving from BT. That's the beauty of not having a bundle/LRS.

Standard User longedge
(committed) Sun 12-Jul-15 08:58:08
Print Post

Must agree with the comments expressing sympathy for the staff caught up in this. I know from my own past experience how soul destroying it can be to care and be doing your best day after day when you are hamstrung by decisions and sometimes prejudices coming from 'the top'. Perhaps PlusNet of a couple of years ago was a victim of it's own success.
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Sun 12-Jul-15 11:49:39
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

I agree with comments about sympathy for the staff.

Does anyone know what became of the excellent (Romanian I think it was?) BE staff? I jumped ship from there as its slide started and shortly before the O2 takeover, which was followed of course by the Sky takeover. They said they were keeping on the staff, but I wonder how long that lasted?

Not exactly a Plusnet issue, but I guess a lot of BE users ended up here.

--
Recently moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Very happy so far.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to