User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 15-Jul-15 01:58:29
Print Post

Re: Missing icon from PN portal

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

IIRC you put up with it for well over 12 months after you were out of your minimum term.

However, for the third time, what's so secret about the name of your perfect new ISP?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57840/12740kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Jul-15 02:05:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
IIRC you put up with it for well over 12 months after you were out of your minimum term.

However, for the third time, what's so secret about the name of your perfect new ISP?

12mths min term on FTTC ,lol try 18mths min term, and nothing so secretive about my new isp , and i did not say it was perfect either, all i said is that my throughput isn't any longer restriced by minus net and their secondry IP profile and their un needed traffic throttling
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Jul-15 02:10:17
Print Post

why shouldn't i complain?

No reason at all other than that in your case complain, or rather more often whinge, is all you ever seem to do regardless of the ISP you are using at the time.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 15-Jul-15 02:10:36
Print Post

Nothing secretive, but a complete failure to identify it.

Clearly we speak different languages.

G'nite smile.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57840/12740kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 15-Jul-15 07:31:04
Print Post

[re: therioman] [link to this post]

thats what I will be hoping to rely on.

Plusnet Fibre Unlimited BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User longedge
(committed) Wed 15-Jul-15 08:44:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by tommy45:

12mths min term on FTTC ,lol try 18mths min term,

Is it me? - I can see "out of your minimum term" but I can't see "out of your minimum term of 12 months".

Obviously I don't know the back story here but I'm intrigued as to why anyone would be reluctant to say who their ISP is?
Standard User godsell4
(regular) Wed 15-Jul-15 08:45:44
Print Post

[re: ChrisAO] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ChrisAO:
It's absence will just mean more calls to Support. That's real clever Plusnet.

maybe we should arrange that readers of this forum all agree to raise a fault report each Sunday night and ask to know what their current line speed is. with the number of people on support, this probably will only take them a few days to work through all the tickets!

PlusNet Unlimited Fibre 3Mb to 5Mb
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 19-Jul-15 15:36:19
Print Post

"Fit for purpose"

Do you know what that means? 70 mbps instead of 75 mbps is still fit for purpose.

You are paying for an "up to" service.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 22-Jul-15 01:37:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I have two motives.

The starter was sheer shock at the direction the BT poodle CEO has taken with the recent changes. The huge early-warning sign was the destruction (there is no other word) of the superb Digital Care Team. No doubt there have been many other changes behind the scenes that we don't see.

Leaving me in a quandary.

I pretty much find myself with the same thoughts, motives, and quandary.

I find myself reaching the conclusion that, if I get a non-trivial failure of service, I cannot trust that I will get reasonable, timely customer service, and that many of the tools and options I would use to make things happen quickly are disappearing.

But can I afford the downtime that migrating will bring for sure?
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 22-Jul-15 01:38:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by tommy45:
It was pointed out earlier that 200kbps seems to be the case.

I think you may be saying that there seem to be other throughput losses. I think you may be right, but that isn't the same thing as the hard cap that the Current line speed sets before those kick in.

It could be to do with the buffering involved in the prioritisation system. Given the overall throughput increase due to the increase in the number of customers, plus the radical change in the way people use the net in the last couple of years, it wouldn't be surprising if that side of the system wasn't creaking.

Queuing systems are complex beasties smile. A small slowdown in one place can cause a huge jam elsewhere, as on motorways.
Well the affects in reality for me where a dam sight more than only 200kbps when set to 77.4 or a 77.44 BTW profile , it improved when set to 78mbps but still resulted in a lower throughput than what i should of had, I don't really care what part of they system was responsible,

In the spat between tommy45 and RobertoS, I have to stand on tommy45's side on this one. On some complaints, I find him overly harsh, but this is spot on.

Plusnet's IP profile system does seem to lop 2-3 Mbps off the possible throughput speed on an FTTC line synced at 80 Mbps.

I have experienced this on my current line, this year, where throughputs of 74Mbps+ were possible at first, but (after DLM intervention & de-intervention), the maximum is back down at 72Mbps.

Last year, on my previous line, I did some testing for Dave Tomlinson. When he set the profile to 77.4, I got speeds averaging 72.5. When he changed the profile to 92, I got speeds of 74.7.

I even saw similar issues on my first FTTC line, back when you could only get 40/10 services.

These differences aren't just guesses either. Regular repeated tests with a Samknows box helps produce incontrovertible graphs. An example can be seen from my recent post on the PN forum:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1418...

I have made similar posts before. I'm not especially complaining about my line speed, but none of those posts have resulted in changes to the overall throughput, or an explanation why it happens. It means that PN's average speeds show themselves to be lower in Ofcom's reports, for no publicly-explained reason.

The question of whether this happens has been put to bed. The question about why it happens has not.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to