User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Mon 27-Jul-15 00:05:11
Print Post

Consider leaving plusnet

[link to this post]

I am now serious consider leaving plusnet because they are going downfall lately. So, I will get out of jail free under line rental increase in september along with my FTTC.

So, I will phone up pulse8 first thing in the morning to discuss about new migration system if it still accepting by BT Openreach / BT Wholesale FTTC to LLU FTTC (TalkTalk Business 80/20) with the phone bundle.

I think many of us as a long term customers with PN are consider moving away from them too.
Standard User chesternutz
(newbie) Mon 27-Jul-15 01:24:46
Print Post

Re: Consider leaving plusnet

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

hi

im a noob so first post but I know im considering it. had so many issues with speed and dropped connection since January this yr they keep saying its my router but changed and still not rectified.
many in my village having same issues but im sure they are all not using my hardware.

so I chose to give their fibre a chance on fri eve putting in my order only to get this pop up

An attempted move from ADSL 1 on WBC to ADSL2+An attempt to change the upstream capping
Please check why the order has been rejected and contact the customer.

and order been cancelled. waited 48hrs now and no response as to why or what is wrong.

thinking maybe exchange oversubscribed to 21cn but considering trying EE instead. been with PN since 09 and prior to that for a few yrs before too. only cancelled as was overseas.

any advice welcome
Standard User ChrisAO
(learned) Mon 27-Jul-15 10:07:13
Print Post

[re: chesternutz] [link to this post]

Hi there,

Have to tried posting about this on Plusnet's Forum Feedback board?
I can't make out if that's an automated response and something went wrong, or an agent response from another inexperienced sales agent.

Either way it needs flagging to Plusnet so one of the CRT can have a look. When they've done so, they'll probably then refer you to customer options to see what deal you might get.

ChrisAO
Plusnet customer since June 2003.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 27-Jul-15 11:44:18
Print Post

It's a tricky one. I must admit I thought you changed ISP as often as some people changed their socks, but I may be mixing you up with someone else. I am not happy with the recent changes at Plusnet, BUT my connection is rock-solid and I have had no problems with congestion, slow-downs, disconnects or anything that would affect my experience. Yes, I could use the increase in phone costs as a reason to leave (although I would be very unlikely to get any refund on the LRS), but what would be the point, as anywhere else would be significantly more expensive for exactly the same service (ignoring issues of customer support for now, which may or may not be better)? So as it is, I plan to move my line rental somewhere else (probably Pulse8) when the LRS expires, but that's about it unless anything else changes.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 65000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User cajef
(experienced) Mon 27-Jul-15 12:14:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by adslmax:
I think many of us as a long term customers with PN are consider moving away from them too.

I am not sure about that statement, reading their forums there do appear to be several who are considering leaving but just what percentage of their customer base this represents is debatable.

I have also been a customer for many years and like kasg my connection has been excellent, but I still have my LRS with BT so the Plusnet increases don't affect me and I have no complaints about the service I have received in the past though whether that continues remains to be seen.

PlusNet FTTP - Unlimited Fibre Extra
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Edited by cajef (Mon 27-Jul-15 12:59:39)

Standard User ConorMK
(knowledge is power) Mon 27-Jul-15 15:55:44
Print Post

[re: cajef] [link to this post]

We have been with PlusNet for just over 12 years now. The problems we have had have been down to BT not PlusNet.

We have no plans to move.

Conor

There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation
BQM
Standard User ChrisAO
(learned) Tue 28-Jul-15 04:21:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by cajef:
........... but I still have my LRS with BT so the Plusnet increases don't affect me ..........

BT Retail is raising it's Line Rental by £1pm from Sept 20th I think it is, but not sure how/when their LRS is affected as I haven't checked.

ChrisAO
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Jul-15 05:17:38
Print Post

[re: ConorMK] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ConorMK:
We have been with PlusNet for just over 12 years now. The problems we have had have been down to BT not PlusNet.

We have no plans to move.
looking at you TBBQM in your sig it looks like you need to look at your connection at peak time a bit more closely, packet loss and jitter during peak time is what i see, and would be a reason to migrate if not sorted out in a timely manor regardless of who the isp happens to be
Standard User amips
(newbie) Tue 28-Jul-15 08:55:16
Print Post

[re: chesternutz] [link to this post]

Why would you want to join EE - just voted worst customer service (along with BT) via OFCOM figures. Also note that EE is being taken over by BT, so a recipe for disaster. Everytime you want help, you'll be in a 30 minute queue to get through to someone in India that you cannot understand, or cannot actually help you! Stick with PlusNet-phone their helpdesk and get useful assistance!
Standard User hippyharry
(regular) Tue 28-Jul-15 09:23:12
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

What is my position then? I have LRS which I paid in full back in November last year, but I then upgraded to Fibre on the 23rd June this year.

In November when my phone line would then revert to a monthly £16.99 charge, do I have the right to break out of my contract for free?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Jul-15 09:24:41
Print Post

[re: hippyharry] [link to this post]

I have been thinking through the same thing with BT. You can't leave now because your LRS is not affected. But, by the time the LRS ends you are outside of the 30 day window. My suspicion is you can't break out of the fibre contract without losing the LRS payment.
Standard User hippyharry
(regular) Tue 28-Jul-15 09:26:15
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Yeah.

When I upgraded to fibre in June this year, I agreed to an 18 month contract. So I'm trying to work out whether I have the right to break the contract in November for the fibre, or am I consigned to Plusnet for another 12 months at that point?
Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Jul-15 09:42:41
Print Post

I don't think so - in fact I am almost sure that you can't
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Jul-15 10:01:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by hippyharry:
In November when my phone line would then revert to a monthly £16.99 charge, do I have the right to break out of my contract for free?

Nooope!

Unless your contract ends then, it would be a no, you agree when signing up for LRS that its no refundable, I have advised people try arguing with Plusnet to see if they will give a partial refund or goodwill gesture but to be honest I've not heard of any success "yet" and doubt there will be any either.

WBC @ 4500m> TP-Link TD-W8968v3
FTTC @ 450m > HG612 > Asus RT-AC87U
FTTN Coming Soon
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Jul-15 10:33:37
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

U will lose LRS with non-refundable end of! PN will not offer a gesture goodwill. No chance!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 28-Jul-15 10:48:58
Print Post

As the others have said, Harry, no.

There have been several threads on the Community forum but all say the same, and the forum reps have been quite clear on it as well as the retentions/cancellations people.

You can use the 30-day window to tell them you are leaving, but so far as I recall nobody has strongly argued the toss about people with LRS and that they should be able to leave when that expires, once they've been told no.

I have a feeling that Ofcom didn't think of that snare, and that if a group of people raised it with them there may be a ruling in users' favour. Either a deferred leaving, or (less likely) a partial LRS refund. But that's just a hypothesis. It's clearly unfair as it is, and their whole drive is fairness, so there might be a chance.

If you really want to get out in the way you say, then contact Plusnet now and try to get the deferred choice. When they almost certainly refuse then you have the options of either or both complaining to Ofcom and asking for a deadlock letter so you can go to CISAS.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57676/14040kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Tue 28-Jul-15 11:38:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I agree with Bob on this, having travelled this road with BT last year. I think the 18-month contracts are designed to make it harder (more expensive) to leave. First, line rental and BB are usually out of synch so you have a month or two on full rate waiting for the other to expire. Second, after 12 months' LRS you either pay full rate for six months until the BB expires, or you sign up for another 12 mths LRS which take you into another 18-mth contract or six mths on full rate line rental. Heads you lose, tails the ISP wins. In fairness the PN package offers good value while it works.
Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Tue 28-Jul-15 12:08:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
Nooope!

Unless your contract ends then, it would be a no, you agree when signing up for LRS that its no refundable, I have advised people try arguing with Plusnet to see if they will give a partial refund or goodwill gesture but to be honest I've not heard of any success "yet" and doubt there will be any either.
I have been assisting a relative in switching from Plusnet due to the price rise, and we successfully got a refund of 8 months of LRS.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Jul-15 12:19:36
Print Post

Looking at some of the threads on here it would seem at face value at least, that most people don't care about the quality of there broadband they get in return for what they pay , but soon as the price increases they want out, as they appear to want to always be with the cheapest provider,
no wonder it's getting hard to find a decent provider
Keep voice and bb separate with mass market suppliers and keep flexabilty

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 28-Jul-15 12:24:23)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Jul-15 12:22:59
Print Post

[re: vimto_girl] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by vimto_girl:
I have been assisting a relative in switching from Plusnet due to the price rise, and we successfully got a refund of 8 months of LRS.

Is that honest from you? I find it hard to believe it! As the T&C's stated u won't get refund on LRS once u took it, as it non-refundable stated in T & C's.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Jul-15 12:40:04
Print Post

Is that honest from you? I find it hard to believe it! As the T&C's stated u won't get refund on LRS once u took it, as it non-refundable stated in T & C's.

There have been a few reported cases of people getting refunds on LRS.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Jul-15 12:44:40
Print Post

That's pretty good. Sound like US the customer is battle WAR against LRS refund but I do understand that LRS doesn't increase line rental cost until your LRS expiry.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Jul-15 12:57:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I have a feeling that Ofcom didn't think of that snare, and that if a group of people raised it with them there may be a ruling in users' favour. Either a deferred leaving, or (less likely) a partial LRS refund. But that's just a hypothesis. It's clearly unfair as it is, and their whole drive is fairness, so there might be a chance.

The customer has to accept that they are saving money on line rental because they paid a non-refundable deposit. For them to then get a part-refund on it as well as having saved money on line rental is pretty much having one's cake and eating it. The deferred leaving certainly sounds more likely as you say, but it would probably be quite messy to administer.

If Ofcom got involved they would most likely just ban LRS for being a backdoor lock-in mechanism I suspect, just as they did with auto-renewing contracts.

Oliver.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Jul-15 13:00:14
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Ofcom are pretty useless these days. One rule for them and one rule for you.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 28-Jul-15 13:11:52
Print Post

That's what Plusnet are saying, but that is also the question. Can they do that?

Vimto-girl has managed a refund, and I think kasg keeps a closer look on things on the Community forums than I and has just said some have got it, so there must be some way round it.

Certainly it is a backdoor lock-in, completely against the apparent intentions of Ofcom.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Jul-15 13:18:24
Print Post

That's what Plusnet are saying, but that is also the question. Can they do that?

Apparently yes, as long as the pay-monthly option has the price-rise release clause intact.

Vimto-girl has managed a refund, and I think kasg keeps a closer look on things on the Community forums than I and has just said some have got it, so there must be some way round it.

As ever, some people manage to obtain things in contrary to the T&C depending on who they speak to at the ISP.

Certainly it is a backdoor lock-in, completely against the apparent intentions of Ofcom.

I suppose Ofcom accept that some customers may wish to waive their cancellation rights by saving money and paying up front (well not really waive, but few will be willing to forgo their up front payments). Perhaps Ofcom will ban LRS at some point but it seems to be dying its own death anyway, ever decreasing discounts, and Sky for instance have not considered it worth offering for a long time now.

Oliver.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Jul-15 13:29:27
Print Post

The additional complication from the earlier question is that they were also tied into a BB contract. I believe they would want to break the BB contract as well as get a refund on LRS. So many things tied together makes things complicated.

Even more complicated on BT. I have LRS and BB on contract till Jan via a retention deal. I also have annual contract with BT mobile till March. If I wanted to try and break contract over BT price rises then, to make it worthwhile, I would need to get refund on LRS, end the BB contract and end mobile contract (because otherwise the mobile cost goes up by £5 per month by not being with BT).

So, the price rise when it kicks in after LRS will be something I have to really live with until March.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Jul-15 13:37:44
Print Post

As far as I know a line rental increase automatically creates a break clause in any broadband contract too, but since that is always pay-monthly it's not so much of a grey area.

As for the mobile contract (or TV contracts), I don't know. With so many linked services these days it's a tricky issue.

Oliver.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Jul-15 13:46:05
Print Post

Except the line rental increase doesn't take effect until LRS ends. So, at this point nothing detrimental has happened. But, when the LRS runs out it will be detrimental - but is then outside of the 30 day window.

Be interesting if Vimto managed to break an broadband contract minimum term as well as LRS refund.

It could be even worse because a person could have a TV contract as well - which of course requires BT broadband. And all of these contracts can run to different dates - I am beginning to really hate all of these things that rely on other components but can run to different contract times. If something is dependent on something else then the contracts should be coterminous and directly linked so change of cost on one component automatically negates all related contracts.
Standard User gillsbay
(newbie) Tue 28-Jul-15 14:25:49
Print Post

My LRS is due in November also but as I have been offered a good retention deal I will pay the LRS before the rise takes effect which will then start in November but at the lower price. (I did this last year as well without any problem.)
Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Tue 28-Jul-15 14:28:56
Print Post

It was a broadband and phone package contract which we were allowed to leave within the minimum term due to Plusnet's price rises.
Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Tue 28-Jul-15 14:56:32
Print Post

An ISP can't just write anything in their T&Cs and hold a consumer to it. 'You can't sign your life away' as they say.

LRS is not a gift, it is an upfront payment in return for line rental. There is a discount for the upfront nature, and in effect the agreed early termination charge is 100% of any unused payment. In this regard, in the normal course of a contract, non-refundable LRS/upfront payments are perfectly fair.

However, where the business wants to unilaterally increase a contractually agreed price, such a contract term is not enforceable. To be a fair and legal contract term, and to conform to Ofcom regulations which apply the law (General Condition 9.6), any right to modify a contract to the material detriment of the consumer must be counterbalanced by the right of the consumer to leave the contract without penalty. This is absolute.

Trying to increase an agreed price without refunding upfront payment for unused service is a penalty and holds the consumer to ransom, giving the business unilateral and unfair advantage from its balance of power. Ofcom have published documentation where they say they would treat non-refundable upfront payments as early termination charges even though they are not usually named as such.

Ofcom assisted in getting the refund from Plusnet, though ultimately it had to be Plusnet's decision and it does not mean Ofcom have made any ruling on the matter of course. I do know they are actively investigating this issue for formal enforcement though, so it is definitely not the case that Ofcom approve not refunding unused LRS in this situation.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Jul-15 15:15:48
Print Post

[re: vimto_girl] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by vimto_girl:
Ofcom assisted in getting the refund from Plusnet, though ultimately it had to be Plusnet's decision and it does not mean Ofcom have made any ruling on the matter of course. I do know they are actively investigating this issue for formal enforcement though, so it is definitely not the case that Ofcom approve not refunding unused LRS in this situation.

I was about to ask you how hard you had to fight Plusnet for the refund. Pretty hard by the sounds of it!

If Ofcom start enforcing mandatory repayments of LRS in the event of price rises, and it's something which appears likely from what you say, I think we'll be seeing the end of LRS across the board. Maybe Sky saw the writing on the wall for LRS some time ago when they pulled out of it, or simply they too found it an unfair way to hold a customer to a contract term in the event of a price rise.

Oliver.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Jul-15 15:20:58
Print Post

The BT discount for LRS is now about £20 for the year. That is much less attractive for giving them an up front payment.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 28-Jul-15 15:32:27
Print Post

its clear LRS days are numbered, even without ofcom intervening I believe LRS will disappear as the savings compared to normal line rental go down every year to a point the isp will say there is no longer a place for LRS.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Jul-15 15:36:36
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I agree. LRS cost saving has falling recently £60 saving, £40 saving and now £20 saving and next year could be zero saving!
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Jul-15 15:54:24
Print Post

So, I will phone up pulse8 first thing in the morning to discuss about new migration system if it still accepting by BT Openreach / BT Wholesale FTTC to LLU FTTC (TalkTalk Business 80/20) with the phone bundle.

So what did they say about migration? Still the same issue of FTTC->ADSL->FTTC rather than FTTC->FTTC?
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Jul-15 15:56:08
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

Pulse8 say FTTC to FTTC should be done on same day (just like Sky did) but there is a charge of one off fee of £30 for the work involved by BT

Edited by adslmax (Tue 28-Jul-15 15:57:40)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 28-Jul-15 15:56:48
Print Post

Given how much easier the new migration process itself is now turning out to be, maybe this is why the saving on it in future, as complained about vociferously on the Community forums, is so small. We may be about to see higher churn rates than previously, with the loyalty engendered by discounts eroded. Particularly if Ofcom do stamp on the non-return.

Using easy figures, say there is a 20% discount on £20pm. Standard £240 for the year becomes LRS £192. After roughly on average six months they have to refund half, and the company has £96 plus the use for the first six months of the refunded £96.

Make it 10% discount and standard £240 becomes LRS £216. Refund half leaves the company with £108 and the use of the refunded £108 for the first six months as well.

Multiplied up by the number that leave, that's much nicer for the bean-counters.

There will be some who stay, through whatever happens. They will still take the reduced discount LRS and the company wins on both fronts.

Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Jul-15 16:01:34
Print Post

Are you certain, their FAQ still says -

I already have fibre on a Openreach (BT) line with another provider. How can I move over?

At the moment we would need to migrate your line and broadband over to our standard network which involves a 10 day cooling off period (as enforced by Ofcom). On the day of the migration you would need unplug your Openreach Modem and plug a standard ADSL modem into your line with the new details we have provided.

We then wait for 24 hours before placing a Fibre Upgrade order on your line to get you onto our fibre service which usually take a week.

https://pulse8broadband.co.uk/faq
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Jul-15 16:24:08
Print Post

Yes I aware of this as I did seen this last night as I don't like being put on ADSL for a long weeks with up to 8Mbps as my daughter need her school exam on HD streaming video editor and also ULTRA HD on Netflix over the summer holiday has put me concerning over this one!
Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Tue 28-Jul-15 16:54:20
Print Post

I didn't have to fight too hard actually. I wanted to do it all on a ticket so we had any promise in writing, but it takes 7/8 days in the world of Plusnet support between each and every response. So I just emailed Ofcom after Plusnet's first answer of 'no', they had talks with Plusnet and dealt with it all, then a manager updated the ticket agreeing to refund.
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Jul-15 17:02:36
Print Post

Just had an e-mail exchange with them and can confirm they will now do a straight FTTC->FTTC migration from Plusnet to Pulse8. They said FTTC->FTTC depends on the provider but I assume it includes any non-LLU providers.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Jul-15 17:11:49
Print Post

They should updated on their site to avoid further confusion FTTC > ADSL > FTTC
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Jul-15 17:19:22
Print Post

Yes, they have told me it's a fairly new development(few weeks) and they are not publicising it much so they can make sure everything is working properly before updating the site.
Standard User ChrisAO
(learned) Wed 29-Jul-15 11:18:54
Print Post

Just to mention that it isn't only Line Rental increases to consider but call charge and call package increases to take into account as well.

ChrisAO
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jul-15 10:07:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
its clear LRS days are numbered, even without ofcom intervening I believe LRS will disappear as the savings compared to normal line rental go down every year to a point the isp will say there is no longer a place for LRS.

Yes, it's disappearing because now they've all achieved this ridiculous setup where LR is really expensive and BB is really cheap, so they want you on both to make it viable (mostly for marketing purposes as it makes BB seem cheap and people resign themselves to LR in the end...) ... why would they then want to reduce the LR cash cow so that they make less - especially since the only possible sanity for it as it stands is that the discount is because they have less admin to do (less invoices to you, and so on) - but since almost everyone I know of still gets billed monthly for the Broadband, it's not even administratively beneficial to the ISP.

Therefore...

Since they've all made it harder to get a good overall price that is competitive even with the LR at full price, you'll bend over and take it.

What Ofcom should do is get shot of this artificial "cheap" broadband and spiralling Line Rental farce.

If it goes up much more it'll be at 50% gross margin for the LR component, which is ridiculous.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Jul-15 12:10:51
Print Post

[re: therioman] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by therioman:
What Ofcom should do is get shot of this artificial "cheap" broadband and spiralling Line Rental farce.

Let's say Ofcom capped line rental to £18 for the next 3 years (which of course they would never do).

Would it really make any difference if the broadband cost spiralled instead of the line rental cost?

Oliver.
Standard User ferretuk
(member) Thu 30-Jul-15 12:43:32
Print Post

It would make a huge difference to phone customers who don't have broadband!
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Jul-15 12:54:46
Print Post

[re: ferretuk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ferretuk:
It would make a huge difference to phone customers who don't have broadband!

A dwindling number indeed. And I don't think the anger towards line rental increases is in sympathy to those people, anyway.

Oliver.
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jul-15 13:46:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
And I don't think the anger towards line rental increases is in sympathy to those people, anyway.

I expect you're right about that. But I do find the whole thing very annoying - it is effectively cross-subsidising one part of the business from another, which may not technically be illegal but it is the sort of thing that is frowned upon and sometimes results in action being taken.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Jul-15 14:05:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by kasg:
But I do find the whole thing very annoying - it is effectively cross-subsidising one part of the business from another, which may not technically be illegal but it is the sort of thing that is frowned upon and sometimes results in action being taken.

True, but really, how many landline users do not have broadband these days? Most people point towards pensioners, but all the ones I know have broadband. I would like to see some official statistics on the subject, it would be interesting.

And of course BT Basic is available to those who are hardest up, at a reasonable £5.10 per month.

Oliver.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jul-15 16:06:30
Print Post

Plusnet & all other isps don't have Basic package like BT Basic package for pensioners and unemployed.

The line rental, calls increase are to blame due to BT rights to boardcast BT Sports even thought it so unfair because what IF we don't have any BT Sports (not interesting in football)?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 30-Jul-15 17:30:11
Print Post

I'm happy about big-boy hiked line rentals now tongue. Keeps my broadband cheap. Line rental now £14 with Pulse8, including caller display and 1571 and very cheap calls. I see Aquiss, which is a much better-known name, is £13, but calls and add-ons more expensive.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jul-15 17:43:26
Print Post

Who can get BT Basic? (pdf download)

You must be getting one of the
benefits below:

Income Support

Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance

Pensions Credit (Guaranteed Credit)

Employment and Support Allowance (income related)

Universal Credit (and are on zero earnings)

plusnet user
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jul-15 17:46:49
Print Post

Pulse8 fibreoptic package from £38 a month, too much for me even if I could get Superfast BB.

plusnet user
Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 30-Jul-15 18:04:29
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Yes, but after the Sprat, BT is £16:99, with line rental now going up to £17:99, then to avoid the scandalous call connection fees and call charges, you need to add about another £8 for anytime calls, then your chosen add on's such as 1571 etc, then get tied into a long contract. Much dearer than Pulse8. Even Plusnet are not cheaper on my Market 1 exchange, but you have the bonus of poor customer service and long contract thrown in.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 30-Jul-15 18:20:56
Print Post

Don't forget that includes line rental.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jul-15 18:23:20
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

BT have started selling another product Home Phone saver 2018 which is locked until 2018, but last years deal was better, Because they have increased the min term from 12 to 18mths as well as the price
You get a few addon services free basically,
For me i would save around £2 per month when compared with LRS and my existing any time plan with free caller ID , choose to refuse , anonymous caller reject , and 1471 call return ring back would of been a better add-on to of had inclusive could of made more use of that, not really value for money IMO at £20.99 a month

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 30-Jul-15 18:24:08)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 30-Jul-15 18:59:27
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

LOL £20.18.

So its like the fuel companies, a price lock in in anticipation of future inflation busting price rises, £20 for copper line rental is just insane.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jul-15 19:24:36
Print Post

LOL £20.18.

So its like the fuel companies, a price lock in in anticipation of future inflation busting price rises, £20 for copper line rental is just insane.
line rental + any-time unlimited calling plan +200 sms txt as well, still a rip off if you don't hammer the land line with outgoing calls every month, But a 18month min term is taking the p and an insult IMO

As said i'll be switching to another cheaper provider for line rental , as bt's latest price hike was one too far

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 30-Jul-15 19:26:00)

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jul-15 19:40:30
Print Post

Not so bad then tongue

I had a look see at the PN "legal bit" for fbreoptic+LR and once all the initial special offers are finished Plusnet are of a similar monthly cost for those customers not living in a "low cost area".
However the COT might/would probably offer inducements to remain with PN if asked by an existing customer.

plusnet user
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jul-15 19:54:43
Print Post

I got a better deal with PN yesterday,

Unlimited Fibre Extra (80/20) @ 12.50 per month fixed price for 24 months
Line Rental @ 12.00 per month fixed price for 24 months
Anytime Plan £6.00 per month
Total monthly £30.50 per month on a new 24 months contract.

This deal matched SSE when Plusnet agreed to match this.

Discount apply on account for 24 months are £12.48 (a saving of £299.52 over two years)

Pleased with this offer and took this new deal. smile

Plus a further £2.50 a month off for family / friends referral so it will come down to £28 a month for 2 years smile

Edited by adslmax (Fri 31-Jul-15 03:10:17)

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jul-15 20:03:34
Print Post

Reduced monthly costs, no wonder you're pleased. smile

plusnet user
Standard User zom22
(member) Thu 30-Jul-15 20:09:41
Print Post

So Adslmax having started this thread by saying they were leaving as Plusnet has gone downhill has now decided that having been given a price reduction they are now staying and that Plusnet's alleged performance does not matter anymore!

Of course the price reduction will mean less revenue for Plusnet and will result in the service getting even worse....but hey, that's OK its cheaper.

It really is no wonder UK ISP's give out sh*t service when no one is prepared to pay and all the general public can think of is how can I get it cheaper.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jul-15 20:20:58
Print Post

[re: zom22] [link to this post]

Hey it's adslmax! smile

There are other ISPs out there who are willing to charge the customer more per month for their product package and services but they are not really targetting the so called "mass market".

plusnet user
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jul-15 20:27:31
Print Post

ok let put this way - how often will u need customer support fault team over two years? Why pay more for best customer service and no contract. U're end up paying more!

Ok, I might be saying PN going downfalls lately because of change in member account like current line speed disappear, tickets disappear, customer service on the phone calls approx 20-60 minutes waiting. But, my fibre & phone was fine over the last 17 months. The only issues was changed to DLM by BT a few months ago (g.inp issues) and speed congestion but that resolved a few days later.

I am expecting plusnet will get better and better in due course over the year. These things take time.

As for price reduction will mean less revenue for Plusnet (I am not sure of this one) but I think Plusnet will be ok and still there in two years time.

Edited by adslmax (Thu 30-Jul-15 20:30:31)

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jul-15 20:58:57
Print Post

The few times I've needed PN CS any PN issues were quickly resolved, the last line fault I reported took a bit longer to fix than I expected but that was down to BT Openreach not Plusnet.

I'm happy with the PN product and the price I pay for it, I can only get ADSL1 from the 20CN exchange which is over 5 kilometres away so it ain't goin' to improve much if at all by paying a lot more money per month to a smaller/niche ISP AFAICS smile

plusnet user
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jul-15 21:09:33
Print Post

I am expecting plusnet will get better and better in due course over the year. These things take time.
Good luck with that, i think you may well need it, based on my past experience 2yrs doesn't inspire any faith
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Jul-15 21:51:34
Print Post

Plusnet & all other isps don't have Basic package like BT Basic package for pensioners and unemployed.

Yes I know. But we were specifically talking about line rental customers who don't have broadband, and BT Basic is an option for those who don't want broadband and are hardest up.

As for a line rental + broadband package, it's pointless viewing the prices in isolation, as I've already said, because whether you pay £15 line rental and £15 broadband, or £20 line rental and £10 broadband, either way you will pay £30.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Thu 30-Jul-15 21:52:31)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 30-Jul-15 22:03:41
Print Post

I stopped considering

(Note the Subject modification)

Now this email just received really would be an incentive to stay !!!!!!
ROFL
Because you're cancelling your Plusnet account, you'll also lose the following features and services:

• Your monthly referral payment - you'll no longer receive the payment of £375.00 you currently receive each month
I wish!

Gawd, I can't stop laughing. Do you think if I ring them and ask for confirmation of that, and ask how far backdated I can claim ....

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Jul-15 22:19:42
Print Post

Re: I stopped considering

• Your monthly referral payment - you'll no longer receive the payment of £375.00 you currently receive each month

I was thinking you were a referral machine for a second there. laugh

Oliver.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 31-Jul-15 02:54:52
Print Post

I have 2 thoughts.

1 - are you been genuine as that seems the most generous plusnet deal I have ever seen anyone post.
2 - I hate retention deals, it just means people not on the deals are paying more to cover those that are. it should be one price for everyone.

So I guess plusnet brought you out max, you were probably just looking for the cheapest deal all the time.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4

Edited by Chrysalis (Fri 31-Jul-15 02:55:46)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-Jul-15 03:06:50
Print Post

I have 2 thoughts.

1 - are you been genuine as that seems the most generous plusnet deal I have ever seen anyone post.
2 - I hate retention deals, it just means people not on the deals are paying more to cover those that are. it should be one price for everyone.

So I guess plusnet brought you out max, you were probably just looking for the cheapest deal all the time.

All my hard work battle for a cheapest deal has paid off well. If you want a bargain deal, you have to fight PN or can leave them if no deal is offered.

Edited by adslmax (Fri 31-Jul-15 03:13:21)

Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Fri 31-Jul-15 09:31:04
Print Post

I hate retention deals, it just means people not on the deals are paying more to cover those that are. it should be one price for everyone.

I agree; but the real issue is the new customer incentives, which is what drives the need for the special retention deals.

(say I: having joined Plusnet on a new customer incentive, and now returning to BT on one)

--
Moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Happy so far, but soon moving back after recent PlusNet changes.

Edited by StephenTodd (Fri 31-Jul-15 09:32:20)

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-Jul-15 10:26:43
Print Post

I was told yesterday that if using a cashback site and you get the cashback plus a supermarket £75 voucher from BT it was possible right now as a new BT customer to get by signing up online unlimited ADSL broadband and w/e calls + paying LRS, for around £17 a year for the first year (12 month BB contract) as long as you get all the cash incentives, I have still to check it all out and do the maths incase someone has made an error.

plusnet user

Edited by Apprentice (Fri 31-Jul-15 10:29:19)

Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-Jul-15 11:32:24
Print Post

have you asked to be downgraded to a free account (as discussed at length on the Plusnet Forums) as even paying £20 per year would still be profitable
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 31-Jul-15 11:43:34
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

I shall be doing, but thanks for the reminder in case I'd forgotten. It's actually £6.25pm at the moment, but not something you can factor into comparisons. It can drop at any time.

The £375.00 is even crazier than the wrong formatting. I've checked my referrals since getting the email and posting here. £3.75 is the amount earned so far this billing month. Not the total of my current referrals! Plus, it is only partial for some, presumably they have a broadband date later than their phone date. It includes phone for them but not broadband.

Pathetic.

Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 31-Jul-15 12:45:55
Print Post

Hope you've declared that on your tax form!!!!!!

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User martyn
(committed) Sat 01-Aug-15 12:53:06
Print Post

Want to cancel my contract because of the price changes. I have tried chat but they say I have to phone. Phone wait is now over 40mins which is ridiculous.
Does anyone know if I can just generate an order with another provider and this will act as my 14 days notice?
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Aug-15 13:40:20
Print Post

[re: martyn] [link to this post]

You got the email from Plusnet? Then I would suggest it is best to contact them within the 30 days of receiving the email re. the price changes/ increases and the fact you want to move.

Without the verbal contact and explanation how do PN know why you are migrating away, best to use the get out of jail free card, try phoning out of peak hours if you can.

http://s1.postimg.org/4gsbcewz3/PN_the_email.png

plusnet user
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 01-Aug-15 14:05:13
Print Post

Ofcom say you should not have to contact them.

If you don't, then in the end you would win any argument. Discretion says avoid the hassle and let them know.

Standard User martyn
(committed) Sat 01-Aug-15 15:54:54
Print Post

Thanks for the replies.

Will ring them up then, bit annoying you can't email or chat this day and age.

Cancelled Sky TV earlier today on chat and took about 8 mins and got a transcribe of the chat by email so have a record. That's another one of the problems with only using the phone, no record of the conversation.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 01-Aug-15 16:26:53
Print Post

I always make a note of the date and time, plus name of the person, of important phone calls. Something I was taught to do by one of my employers. This was years before firms such as Plusnet recorded all call anyway.

As soon as you quote those back to them all disputation stops in nearly all cases, and with Plusnet it tells them exactly where to go for the recording.

Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Fri 07-Aug-15 13:01:12
Print Post

Did you get anywhere on the free email only account as Plusnet now seemed to have hardened up their attitude http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1411...
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 07-Aug-15 14:55:40
Print Post

Damn! I forgot! Been dealing with Yodel for four days frown. Meant to see about this on Monday.

Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57584/13846kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 07-Aug-15 16:01:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by cajef:
I am not sure about that statement, reading their forums there do appear to be several who are considering leaving but just what percentage of their customer base this represents is debatable.
I've considered it but truth is the only time the gateway issue affects me is when I run a speed test. And even then it's easy enough to hop to a better gateway and my connection seems to stick with the same gateway for months on end.

A couple of people are saying that bad gateways give them unstable connections and generally ruin their online experience but that's not what I get. I just find my single thread speed dropping from 67Mb/s to 20Mb/s at peak time. That's still more than I normally need so only my engineering nature makes me fix it.

It's a minor irritation that frankly I'd not notice at all if it weren't for the frequent speed tests I run. There's probably a moral to that story smile

Edit: I'm also out of contract right now so unless things get really bad (no sign of that) it doesn't make sense to move. Better to keep my options open and stick with what I have.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Fri 07-Aug-15 16:03:06)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 07-Aug-15 16:28:17
Print Post

Sorted. No argument at all. I think I went to COT, as I used the number given in the "Sorry you're leaving" email, then didn't use the "Accounts" option, I used the "Thinking of leaving".

The opening line was that once I leave, the account would be closed, so no referrals. Explained I believed they had two options for keeping an account after leaving, a paid one for if you want to keep emails and a free one for handling referrals. He went away for a couple of minutes to check and came back saying that yes, they can do that and he will get it set up. To happen as soon as they are notified by the system that I have migrated.

He said seeing as I have a d/d set up if I leave that open the balance will transfer to it each time it reaches £5. Which is what we expect from something I've read in the past.

I've noted the date/time/name in case it goes wrong.

Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57584/13846kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Aug-15 00:14:52
Print Post

Yes I know. But we were specifically talking about line rental customers who don't have broadband, and BT Basic is an option for those who don't want broadband and are hardest up.

As for a line rental + broadband package, it's pointless viewing the prices in isolation, as I've already said, because whether you pay £15 line rental and £15 broadband, or £20 line rental and £10 broadband, either way you will pay £30.

Except you have to faff about to work out what you'll actually pay. More to the point, in many cases, the ISP doesn't offer the broadband at all without land line, or has to charge more (precisely because the line rental is where the rest of the broadband cost is hidden).

For consumers this means reduced choice because the biggest players mandate the combination now, so you end up getting a "good" deal on broadband (on paper because it's artificially low) but pay for it through a "bad" deal on line rental (and likely too higher call charges which are far from transparent).

It's a silly system, is not good for consumers and is not necessary. Just have the cost of broadband as the cost of broadband, but don't have it conditional as it's anti-competition, and anti-choice.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 13-Aug-15 02:10:09
Print Post

Well there it is!

About 1:30 this morning.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57584/13846kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Thu 13-Aug-15 10:03:07
Print Post

We'll miss you in Plusnetland - I couldn't possibly justify the cost of moving to AAISP so I'm sticking around for now.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User ZenUserJP
(regular) Thu 13-Aug-15 11:08:14
Print Post

Might not have the same CP but Zen is worth an option then.

£30 is not bad for unlimited FTTC (£46 with phone)
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Thu 13-Aug-15 13:17:36
Print Post

[re: ZenUserJP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ZenUserJP:
Might not have the same CP but Zen is worth an option then.

£30 is not bad for unlimited FTTC (£46 with phone)

Not bad, perhaps, but nearly double what I'm paying Plusnet for a service with which I have absolutely no problems.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS

Edited by kasg (Thu 13-Aug-15 13:24:29)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 13-Aug-15 20:19:49
Print Post

Well there it is!
About 1:30 this morning.

Hope you'll hang around the PN and other forums still smile

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - Since 2 Jun 14 - Aug 15 Sync: 56575/9911 - G.INP download only frown
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Flash Speedtest - HTML Speedtest
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 13-Aug-15 21:08:56
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Certainly here. I haven't been to the PN ones for a few days, as I was packing in after midnight, and then every day by midday there was at least three hours of catching up to do, particularly if I responded to a thread.

That was Feedback, ADSL, Fibre, and Accounts.

Plus, the tale after tale of sheer cockups, particularly with provisioning, were too much. Simply ridiculous! We don't see a tenth here of the problems reported there, as you know. Yet so many of them are there because, in effect, the ticketing system isn't any more.

Extremely dispiriting.

Standard User Carbis
(newbie) Thu 13-Aug-15 22:57:06
Print Post

I have been using PN for about 8 years now and find their support excellent.

Any issues have been with BT, lightning strikes, floods etc., but thankfully I have a great line to the FTTC box and get great speeds.

I did update my wifi box recently due to random loss of connections and now get great wifi as well.

Check the wifi channel with a scanner, it amazing how new users can wipe you out or reduce the performance.

If it's wifi or your landline all ISP's will have the same issues

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14395...
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 13-Aug-15 23:32:39
Print Post

All my hard work battle for a cheapest deal has paid off well. If you want a bargain deal, you have to fight PN or can leave them if no deal is offered.

How's that working out for you now? You seem to have very rapidly lost patience with the quality of the service?
(knowledge is power) Thu 13-Aug-15 23:52:38
Print Post

I have gone a step further. Pulse8 are delivering me a simultaneous provide later in the month smile

I'm really looking forward to seeing what a smaller company can deliver and, worst case, I'm not under contract so can quickly leave.

Edited by Ignitionnet (Thu 13-Aug-15 23:53:38)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 14-Aug-15 00:04:36
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
I have gone a step further. Pulse8 are delivering me a simultaneous provide later in the month smile

I'm really looking forward to seeing what a smaller company can deliver and, worst case, I'm not under contract so can quickly leave.

True but u are paying more expensive thought! What the point of paying £44 a month for fibre and phone line?
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 14-Aug-15 05:39:08
Print Post

do you value quality or is price all that matters to you?

many people on plusnet pay close to £40 a month anyway.

Line rental without LRS + 80/20 is almost £40 a month on plusnet.

your 'deal' with plusnet is subsidized by others paying their listed price.

Ignition I hope shares his experience on pulse8 with us all as it may help others make a decision.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4

Edited by Chrysalis (Fri 14-Aug-15 05:40:02)

Standard User alext05
(committed) Fri 14-Aug-15 08:00:56
Print Post

True but u are paying more expensive thought! What the point of paying £44 a month for fibre and phone line?

I am guessing that all of your wardrobe is from Primark otherwise it wouldn't make sense. smile
Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Fri 14-Aug-15 08:59:09
Print Post

As others say it depends what price you put on service.

Good example this week as I had two separate faults with two different smaller providers.

Voice fault with Zen. Phoned support which was answered immediately. Line tested, fault confirmed and raised with BT all while on the phone. Took less than 5 minutes.
When the fault was cleared they actually phoned me shocked to see if all was now OK. When I didn't answer I got a text message asking the same question.

Fibre with Xilo. Raised a ticket and had a reply back from Matt in 2 min 7 seconds! Not a scripted reply but detailing what the plan was to resolve the problem.

For me it's worth paying the extra for that level of response but everyone has different priorities.

xilo Fibre+ BQM
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Fri 14-Aug-15 09:21:32
Print Post

[re: alext05] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by alext05:

I am guessing that all of your wardrobe is from Primark otherwise it wouldn't make sense. smile

Only when I can't find what I need in the charity shops.

Just moved from Plusnet to BT mainly based on price (because of special offers), also FON and one or two other details, but I was seriously considering Pulse8 and will consider them again in 12 months when my contract is up. Happier to pay extra for broadband than for clothes; I'm just gambling on not needing to call service.

--
Moved from PlusNet back to BT. Both gave decent service.

Edited by StephenTodd (Fri 14-Aug-15 09:22:21)

(knowledge is power) Fri 14-Aug-15 11:06:00
Print Post

In a lot of things in life you get what you pay for.
Standard User ZenUserJP
(regular) Fri 14-Aug-15 11:32:44
Print Post

Totally Agree

I've just gone from a £50 a month solution to a £180 a month solution. I get basically an uncontended managed leased line. To me it's going to have several benefits. From having my own (sort of) dedicated line to writing off some tax smile
Standard User ZenUserJP
(regular) Fri 14-Aug-15 11:33:39
Print Post

We SO NEED a like button on here laugh. At one point this person had Virgin and Plusnet at the same time - what the point of paying £80 a month for fibre phone and cable?

Edited by ZenUserJP (Fri 14-Aug-15 11:34:22)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 14-Aug-15 11:47:51
Print Post

I don't have Virgin at all. Just Plusnet fibre and phone. I used to have both before but not anymore.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 14-Aug-15 15:38:11
Print Post

I'd go back to BT but they don't do static IP on home accounts, and business is stupidly priced.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - Since 2 Jun 14 - Aug 15 Sync: 56575/9911 - G.INP download only frown
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Flash Speedtest - HTML Speedtest
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 14-Aug-15 22:21:32
Print Post

Can't wait to bin Plusnet off... it gets worse by the week!

The customer service seems to be getting worse too, one person says one thing, another says something else and another does something else....

and tonight, both single thread and multi thread downloads all over the place, upstream not to stable either.... radio streaming keeps dropping out, packet loss.... and pings all over the place...

FTTC 63500/19999
FTTN 57344/3170
Standard User ZenUserJP
(regular) Sat 15-Aug-15 00:13:34
Print Post

Can't wait to bin Plusnet off... it gets worse by the week!

The customer service seems to be getting worse too, one person says one thing, another says something else and another does something else....

and tonight, both single thread and multi thread downloads all over the place, upstream not to stable either.... radio streaming keeps dropping out, packet loss.... and pings all over the place...

Sorry to say but thank god I am not on Plusnet!
Standard User alext05
(committed) Sat 15-Aug-15 07:32:32
Print Post

...radio streaming keeps dropping out...

Happens to me too. What would be the reasons for that?
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Aug-15 09:25:24
Print Post

And I'll say it again, my connection is rock-solid, 10ms pings, full download and upload speed at almost all times. Thanks God I am on Plusnet!

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 15-Aug-15 10:13:26
Print Post

...radio streaming keeps dropping out...

Happens to me too. What would be the reasons for that?

No idea why they drop... its a weird thing thats only happened since being on Plusnet.... even when I was on Virgin and the services crawled down to 2mbps in the evening the radio would keep going.... sometimes it would reduce working bitrates (when it had 320kbps stream) but now it just stutters and then eventually dies unless I kill it first.

note that now it only stream at 128kbps but thats because the 320kbps streams where kill sometime back.

FTTC 63500/19999
FTTN 57344/3170
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 15-Aug-15 10:21:07
Print Post

Thanks God I am on Plusnet!

Why the thanks, they are a broadband supplier at the end of the day, its in their job description to supply a broadband service...

I assume that know body else is able to supply you with a Broadband service ??

FTTC 63500/19999
FTTN 57344/3170
Standard User ZenUserJP
(regular) Sat 15-Aug-15 10:37:21
Print Post

And I'll say it again, my connection is rock-solid, 10ms pings, full download and upload speed at almost all times. Thanks God I am on Plusnet!

Until it breaks down at 1 minute past 10 and then you are screwed for the night lol
Standard User ZenUserJP
(regular) Sat 15-Aug-15 11:39:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
I'd go back to BT but they don't do static IP on home accounts, and business is stupidly priced.

According to BT.com Business 80/20 is £35 and £11 line rental - which is £46

Exactly what I pay for now on Zen.

So not really "stupidly priced"

Unless you go for EFM etc
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 15-Aug-15 11:39:35
Print Post

Until it breaks down at 1 minute past 10 a.m. and then you are screwed for the night lol.
Fixed that for you tongue wink.

Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Aug-15 11:41:22
Print Post

Until it breaks down at 1 minute past 10 and then you are screwed for the night lol

Hasn't happened in all the years I've been with them. I think in such circumstances it wouldn't be the end of the world to wait until morning. If it was an infrastructure problem that involved Openreach it wouldn't make any difference anyway.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Aug-15 11:44:03
Print Post

Why the thanks, they are a broadband supplier at the end of the day, its in their job description to supply a broadband service...

You were the one that started thanking God, don't take it so seriously! smile Of course others can supply me with broadband, all at a higher price and the connection speeds, etc., would be exactly the same (I do not have access to Virgin cable). I have no reason to change supplier at present; that might change, I don't know.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 15-Aug-15 11:44:07
Print Post

BT Business T & Cs:-
4.9 All charges are exclusive of VAT which is chargeable at the applicable rate, unless otherwise provided in the Service Schedule. Early termination charges and cancellation charges will not be subject to VAT.
Also the £35 seems to include the line rental, but Anytime Calls is £10pm.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 15-Aug-15 11:58:48)

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Aug-15 14:14:37
Print Post

The few times I had to phone PN CS the longest I had to wait for the phone to be answered in the mornings was around 10-15 minutes, now the afternoons and evenings were a different matter the longest I waited for a call to be answered was just under 40 minutes at about 3.00pm, usually I would hang up after 40 odd minutes had passed by. frown

plusnet user
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 15-Aug-15 14:36:40
Print Post

You were the one that started thanking God, don't take it so seriously! smile Of course others can supply me with broadband, all at a higher price and the connection speeds, etc., would be exactly the same (I do not have access to Virgin cable). I have no reason to change supplier at present; that might change, I don't know.

I can assure you that at no point did I refer to "god" in any way... it isn't something I do!

It's interesting that you would mention the price of Plusnet's broadband being lower than others and the speeds being exactly the same.... I would expect the price to be one of the lowest... its not like Plusnet are exactly supplying a fat lot to its customers... at least BT provide a half decent* piece of kit with their service as well as access to a huge network of secure hotspots, not to mention the sports and other complimentary services and not just BT either.... Sky, TalkTalk, Virgin.... they all provide something extra...

Plusnet provide some cheap router, that from what I hear* is a pile o ...... and thats about it...

The speciality in their customer service has now gone though they keep preaching about it like nothings changed!! and as far as speeds are concerned its reckoned that without Plusnet's QOS/Management system I and other could achieve a bit more of our lines profile speed, not to mention that system seems to be responsible for the poor browsing and usability of the connection at busy periods...

Also funny that we're discussing Plusnet today, I found an email from yesterday this morning regarding the outcome of my complaint to CISAS.... and even though Plusnet finally found it in the best interests of both them and myself to remove any early termination charges (before CISAS picked up the complaint) it seems that CISAS has forced them to add some sprinkles on top... not a bad little going away present either...

FTTC 63500/19999
FTTN 57344/3170
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Aug-15 16:33:23
Print Post

I can assure you that at no point did I refer to "god" in any way... it isn't something I do!

I apologize, it was ZenUserJP who brought God into it.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS

Edited by kasg (Sat 15-Aug-15 16:34:19)

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 15-Aug-15 16:34:36
Print Post

Oh well, [censored] happens smile

FTTC 63500/19999
FTTN 57344/3170
Standard User ZenUserJP
(regular) Sat 15-Aug-15 20:18:38
Print Post

BT Business T & Cs:-
4.9 All charges are exclusive of VAT which is chargeable at the applicable rate, unless otherwise provided in the Service Schedule. Early termination charges and cancellation charges will not be subject to VAT.
Also the £35 seems to include the line rental, but Anytime Calls is £10pm.

Hi,

Well yes it's all ex VAT in the business world as we know. Yes you also get the option on no calls at all which is full price or daytime only. You do get 100 mins free a month as you only get the essentials package by choosing an option which I did choose but forgot.
Standard User ZenUserJP
(regular) Sat 15-Aug-15 20:19:34
Print Post

(I do not have access to Virgin cable).

Now that IS something I would thank god for!. It's shockingly [censored]. :/

Edited by ZenUserJP (Sat 15-Aug-15 20:19:50)

Standard User ZenUserJP
(regular) Sat 15-Aug-15 20:21:46
Print Post

I apologize, it was ZenUserJP who brought God into it.

No I said a common phrase. A garden stone is more religious than I.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 15-Aug-15 21:26:04
Print Post

Well yes it's all ex VAT in the business world as we know.
You and I do, and quite a few here do.

I warrant most don't, and it is far from obvious on the BT site. It took me quite a while to find that one.

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Aug-15 21:57:10
Print Post

Same here. Here's a fresh peak time graph:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14396...

Not quite as flat as normal but perfectly acceptable.

But then I'm currently on a good gateway. I've been on a bad gateway three times this year. It seems to take about ten minutes to bounce my connection onto a better one then I'm good for a few more months. Unfortunately it seems some people are changing gateways all the time and struggling to get onto good ones when it happens.

I suspect there might be a geographical component to the issue. For me it's a temporary nuisance easily rectified. but for those who keep finding themselves on a bad gateway it must be very annoying.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sat 15-Aug-15 22:03:00)

Standard User alext05
(committed) Sat 15-Aug-15 22:48:59
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

What is also annoying, when you find a good gateway Plusnet kicks you off it after a few days. It happened to me four or five times now. However, you seem to stay forever on a bad one. Coincidence? I don't think so. smile
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Aug-15 22:57:56
Print Post

Fortunately, Pete, no-one is forced to purchase it so it's all good.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 16-Aug-15 09:48:31
Print Post

What is also annoying, when you find a good gateway Plusnet kicks you off it after a few days. It happened to me four or five times now. However, you seem to stay forever on a bad one. Coincidence? I don't think so. smile
I seem to stay on good gateways for months at a time though. That's why I'm curious why others don't. Is it because their connection is unstable? Or something at their exchange?

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User alext05
(committed) Sun 16-Aug-15 11:03:03
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Regardless of the fact why it's different for different people, it is clear that Plusnet's architecture is a bit iffy since it's the only ISP in the land, it seems, where people talk about gateways.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 16-Aug-15 11:24:59
Print Post

Yes, I have this issue too... It wasn't much of an issue but in the last 2 months it has been a constant issue, If I find a good gateway I will be kicked from it within 48 hours, in most cases it will be around 1-2am following the switch..

So now I just bounce around the PCL gateways and as we know most of them cause issues, though not all the time..

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 16-Aug-15 11:52:02
Print Post

Regardless of the fact why it's different for different people, it is clear that Plusnet's architecture is a bit iffy since it's the only ISP in the land, it seems, where people talk about gateways.

I sometimes wonder about that myself. Since all the other large xDSL ISPs have scrapped traffic management I wonder if the Plusnet gateways are there for traffic management purposes, and they sometimes have trouble coping with demand, or are just plain faulty.

Oliver.
(knowledge is power) Sun 16-Aug-15 14:22:48
Print Post

I sometimes wonder about that myself. Since all the other large xDSL ISPs have scrapped traffic management I wonder if the Plusnet gateways are there for traffic management purposes, and they sometimes have trouble coping with demand, or are just plain faulty.

The others all have 'gateways'. The traffic management kit sits in between the gateways and the BT network.

No ISP of any size can terminate all customers on a single piece of kit, or would want to.
Standard User alext05
(committed) Sun 16-Aug-15 14:35:08
Print Post

Thanks. So why Plusnet's gateways are causing all those well documented issues to many Plusnet customers and customers of other ISPs not complaining about their gateways at all, it seems?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 16-Aug-15 14:44:38
Print Post

First, no other ISP makes a song and dance about gateways, (and neither do Plusnet now), so nobody knows about them. But even in the days of BT Centrals there were description about the multiple 75kbps(?) kit sitting in front of them actually handling the lines and feeding a consolidated stream to the Central.

Second, because we do know about them we were always talking about it. I expect that was the (or at least one of ) trigger(s) for Andrew producing the x 1 and x6 tests on the tbb speedtester.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 16-Aug-15 15:08:52
Print Post

But "gateway hopping" has never been a feature on other ISPs. In cases of congestion, "hopping" on other ISPs makes no difference. Perhaps Plusnet gateways are run in such a way that they sometimes hit capacity, whereas other ISPs keep more headroom on the gateways?

Oliver.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 16-Aug-15 16:22:34
Print Post

But "gateway hopping" has never been a feature on other ISPs. In cases of congestion, "hopping" on other ISPs makes no difference. Perhaps Plusnet gateways are run in such a way that they sometimes hit capacity, whereas other ISPs keep more headroom on the gateways?

I remember a long time ago on BTopenworld ADSL you actually had a gateway in your PPP login ID. e.g. [email protected]" where the hg10 was "home gateway 10".

Maybe the automatic load balancer that Plusnet are using isn't up to the job.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 16-Aug-15 16:56:26
Print Post

IIRC in the days of BT Centrals, Plusnet had no control over which Central you would end up on when you re-connected. Didn't they say BT Wholesale used a dumb round-robin system? Which is why if one went down PN had to boot people off a few to rebalance the system after it came back up.

An intelligent system would just have loaded the newly available one.

Similarly, I believe it isn't always the gateway giving the trouble now. It can be something in the path before them and hence before the gateway itself.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 16-Aug-15 16:58:45)

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sun 16-Aug-15 23:20:03
Print Post

Didn't they say BT Wholesale used a dumb round-robin system?

Yes I seem to recall that and IIRC when I was with madasafish in the Brightview days if browsing got sluggish it was common practise for those in the know to hop to another gateway to try and get an improvement.

plusnet user
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Sep-15 23:01:42
Print Post

You may want to go back to Plusnet.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=2858...

Currently on unlimited 76Mb fibre with plusnet. I've been offered a retention deal of £10 per month for this. Am I likely to beat this anywhere else?

No 24 month contract either smile
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Mon 21-Sep-15 06:29:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
Currently on unlimited 76Mb fibre with plusnet. I've been offered a retention deal of £10 per month for this. Am I likely to beat this anywhere else?

No 24 month contract either smile

What a load of rubbish whoever got this deal is untrue. Plusnet offers is always in a new 18 or 24 months contact. They will not do any deal for one month contact but they can do it but only at the standard price like £19.99 per month in lower price area!

As for £10 a month deal with Plusnet with no contract is loads of rubbish.

Edited by adslmax (Mon 21-Sep-15 06:30:49)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Mon 21-Sep-15 09:01:21
Print Post

My guess is that the retention 'deal' will see him downgraded to 40/2.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 21-Sep-15 09:38:06
Print Post

Where does it say no long contract?

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to