User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User brandscill
(experienced) Mon 26-Oct-15 12:08:07
Print Post

Re: Plusnet capacity to Apple CDN poor ?

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I would agree but at the same time it's slow on my Plusnet connection it's rapid on another. If the CDN was suffering surely it would be suffering for everyone?

Plus Net - 40/20
Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Mon 26-Oct-15 13:17:22
Print Post

Now into my second year with them and it's clear that Plusnet has increasing problems, aggravated by management's steady hacking back of their once superb support team. However, we have two iPads and one iPhone; our ADSL2+ line downloaded IOS 8, IOS9 and subsequent updates for all three, taking only a few minutes for each.
Standard User maximono
(regular) Tue 27-Oct-15 01:01:53
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

I didn't experience any problems myself downloading ISO updates and I know the latest download of Mac OS X El Capitan was quick after a slow start. at times I have to pause/resume to get the downloads kicked off at a high speed but come to think about it it's been like that since switching to plusnet fibre or not long afterwards. Problem just seems to be apps, app updates including IOS, through iTunes and mac app store. Starting to think it's maybe apple but Im gonna have to get to a friends house who has BT not plusnet.

I've now been told it's been escalated to the traffic management team for review and I should hear back in 3-5 Working days. I got a very condescending email explaining that downloads are measured in MB/s not Mbps .. eat ect. The reason I was saying Mbps was because my traffic monitor on my mac can be set either way and I have it set to Mbps to see if Im getting anywhere near my actual line speed. Seeing download speeds from apple of 300kbps is really that not KB/s..

I also noticed earlier downloads from dropbox were slow on my iPad. I'll test some other sites and dropbox again.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cookie
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 27-Oct-15 13:23:02
Print Post

[re: maximono] [link to this post]

currently trying to download iOS9 to restore an old iPhone and the current estimate for completion is 19 hours. this is the second time i've tried today - the first having quit after an error while i was out.

i'm on plusnet FTTC with a typical download speed of 3.5MB.

i've also had the problem with single downloads never getting above 1.5MB, while multiple downloads use all bandwidth.

i think i'll be looking for a new ISP soon.
Standard User cookie
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 27-Oct-15 15:19:03
Print Post

[re: cookie] [link to this post]

well, i've just switched connection to via VPN and my update download is rattling along now.

clearly something plusnet need to sort out asap.
Standard User ubernick
(newbie) Tue 27-Oct-15 18:19:46
Print Post

Just wanted to add my two pennies to this:

I've noticed that Apples OS X update downloads have been pretty slow these days. Today I've refreshed my Macbook Pro from scratch and the OS X updates and app downloads from Apple's OS X App Store are painfully slow. Definitely something amiss here with PlusNet's connection to Apple's CDNs (probably Akamai).

All other major players and bandwidth hogs; Netflix, YouTube, etc. are fine.

I'm on a Business FTTC Unlimited (76mb) package with a good ~50mb speed throughout the day and night.

I may give their business support a call tomorrow and see if its a known issue.
Standard User brandscill
(experienced) Wed 28-Oct-15 07:15:02
Print Post

[re: ubernick] [link to this post]

Please do, if anyone is likely to investigate it's business support.

Plus Net - 40/20
Standard User maximono
(regular) Mon 02-Nov-15 10:12:51
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

Has anyone noticed there speeds for Apple Downloads are back up to scratch now? I was worried when I purchased the new Apple TV and got it on friday that it would be a pain to use with the slow downloads but my speeds started going back to normal a day or 2 before. Im currently downloading a game on the mac app store at 55Mbps, which is a good speed for me. All other downloads of apps have also been speedy, seems either apple have fixed something or plusnet have.
Standard User brandscill
(experienced) Tue 03-Nov-15 13:29:33
Print Post

[re: maximono] [link to this post]

I find some days it's fine and other days it's not.

Wouldn't say it's consistent yet.

Plus Net - 40/20
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Nov-15 14:41:22
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

How are people testing their speed to Apple's CDN? Via a URL? Surely there aren't so many updates that it can be tested a few times a day?

Oliver.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to