User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 14-Aug-15 15:41:24
Print Post

Re: Plusnet capacity to Apple CDN poor ?

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Most pages seem to load more snappily. Particularly when loading the MS Solitaire stuff, where I do have it logging in automatically. That took 20+ seconds and now takes under 10, then the next step to the Daily Challenges took possibly 10 seconds and now takes 2-3.

I've noticed since about Dec 2014 (and I migrated in to Plusnet in June 2014) that the "feel latency" of web pages on a Plusnet FTTC connection from an ethernet connected desktop PC is more like a 3G/4G cellular connection. BT FTTC felt more responsive.

I just assumed some caching or some minor router congestion, which I guess is expected at a lower price.

I'm paying £19.99/m for broadband, but would have to pay £30/m for Sky Pro, the only other huge ISP unlimited option with static ip that I can find so far.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - Since 2 Jun 14 - Aug 15 Sync: 56575/9911 - G.INP download only frown
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Flash Speedtest - HTML Speedtest
Standard User dwr
(learned) Sat 15-Aug-15 13:04:19
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I have had the same experience. It took over 3 hours to download a 1.5GB upgrade to my iPod Touch on Friday. The day before the iPhone and iMac upgrades took a similarly long time. Even app upgrades of 50MB via iTunes took about 15 minutes. And this is on an FTTC service where I generally get 60MB download speeds

Other than that, web browsing was fine.

I did think it might be Apple, but as this was happening over a 2 day period I started to suspect PN was throttling the downloads.

Plusnet Broadband
Standard User majika2007
(member) Sat 15-Aug-15 15:06:29
Print Post

[re: dwr] [link to this post]

PLUSNET SLOW DOWN

I too have been under the same reduction in my overall speeds since i first took out FTTC 24+ mo. ago..

At first it was a gradual degradation in my downstream speeds however over the past 5-6 months the speeds have dropped off substantially as compared to when my line was first enabled.
I was able to actually achieve 69+Mbps and now I am hitting about 43Mbps.

My upstream on the other had has seen a perceived slow down and actual tests carried out over on bt wholesale speed test has almost halved my upstream to 11Mbps from about 18.5Mbps

I have raised this issue several times with Plusnet but only after my more challenging questions asked went unanswered in my support tickets.

In relation to actual CDN from various couriers I have noticed vast differences in speed throughputs Apple CDN being one such network.

It really saddens me to feel like PN have lied to me about what they are able to do to solve this matter and what they are unable to do to solve this matter..

I said if my speeds were to continue to degrade on their current trajectory then it would most definitely trigger a fault at the then current levels of 45Mbps but now they just move the goal posts and dropped my IP profile instead and as such my threshold for triggering a fault has also trailled down too.

It's pathetic and very unacceptable to be sold a service only to end up having a percentage of what was agreed to and paying a premium for this service.. My latency is also very sloppy and does not seem as "snappy" as it once was.

I used to be all for Plusnet but now I do not recommend them to others.
As for the static-IP comment above well thats just not good enough if the ISP reduce the speeds as much as PN have done.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Aug-15 16:36:43
Print Post

[re: majika2007] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by majika2007:
I said if my speeds were to continue to degrade on their current trajectory then it would most definitely trigger a fault at the then current levels of 45Mbps but now they just move the goal posts and dropped my IP profile instead and as such my threshold for triggering a fault has also trailled down too.

If your IP profile has reduced, it has not been caused by Plusnet.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 65000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Sat 15-Aug-15 16:38:05)

Standard User majika2007
(member) Sun 16-Aug-15 10:45:18
Print Post

Re: Plusnet capacity to Apple CDN poor ? *DELETED* *DELETED*

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Post deleted by seb

Edited by majika2007 (Sun 16-Aug-15 10:51:09)

Standard User AndyHCZ
(committed) Sun 16-Aug-15 11:04:24
Print Post

[re: majika2007] [link to this post]

kasg: who by then I assume your gonna say BTO??

The IP Profile is automatically set based on your sync speed with the cabinet.

See 1.2.1 here http://www.sinet.bt.com/sinet/SINs/pdf/498v6p0_C.pdf

This is an automated process that no one is influencing.
Standard User clivers
(newbie) Sun 16-Aug-15 12:00:55
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Various apple devices had updates released tonight. Upon updating I discovered that via Plusnet over AC wifi the speed was incredibly slow, taking a good 5 minutes to download a 50mb app update. If I VPN to a friend's router who has a BT Infinity connection, the problem goes away, and the download runs as fast as the uplink of the VPN.

What have plusnet broken now?

This is more of an apple problem. i have an AAISP account which had the same problem. the virgin account i have was running much faster due to local caches i would of thought?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 16-Aug-15 12:16:34
Print Post

[re: clivers] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by clivers:
This is more of an apple problem. i have an AAISP account which had the same problem. the virgin account i have was running much faster due to local caches i would of thought?

I wondered as MacRumors and AppleInsider have reported that Apple are building their own CDN instead of using Akamai etc.

My parents are with BT and I can VPN to their server, and although they only have 10mbps upload, I was getting stunningly faster updates (to ap[ps in iTunes, and the OS X update) than directly through Plusnet.

Caching would explain it - one to watch.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - Since 2 Jun 14 - Aug 15 Sync: 56575/9911 - G.INP download only frown
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Flash Speedtest - HTML Speedtest
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 16-Aug-15 14:34:44
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AndyHCZ:
kasg: who by then I assume your gonna say BTO??

The IP Profile is automatically set based on your sync speed with the cabinet.

See 1.2.1 here http://www.sinet.bt.com/sinet/SINs/pdf/498v6p0_C.pdf

This is an automated process that no one is influencing.

Nah I reckon there have to be people manually looking at millions of FTTC lines and editing them by hand.

Seems legit.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 16-Aug-15 14:37:46
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
Nah I reckon there have to be people manually looking at millions of FTTC lines and editing them by hand.
Is that part of the apprenticeship training offered by BTW for ISP Tier 1 support staff, or is it a promotion/demotion for such staff?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57584/13846kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to