User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Davey_H
(learned) Mon 28-Sep-15 12:48:33
Print Post

Re: new channels on plusnet TV

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
In regards to what davey said, yes the hobbyist boxes do also occasionally need retuning, but vix has the autobouquetsmaker, so its automated, I just run that once every 3 months or so. Also it grabs a 7 day EPG automatically from the internet every night.

Which is fne if all you want to do is to mimic platform channel ordering/numbering and only use a single, or couple of sats.

Even with ABM and crossEPG etc 'hobbyist' boxes still require more setup/configuration than your typical end user/platform specific box.

Edited by Davey_H (Mon 28-Sep-15 12:56:00)

Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Sep-15 15:51:59
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
I had no idea there intention was to upgrade all to 'T2' that going to kill a lot of equipment.

It isn't, it's one option and a fairly unlikely one I think. Read the documents.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 65000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 28-Sep-15 17:26:52
Print Post

[re: Davey_H] [link to this post]

There is more options to play around with yes, but do you need to configure? no.

The default setup will work out of the box fine on a sky dish.

Most people only have one dish pointed at sky. This is what I am assuming in this thread, not some advanced user using euro satellite etc.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4

Edited by Chrysalis (Mon 28-Sep-15 17:27:58)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Sep-15 08:55:22
Print Post

[re: Davey_H] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Davey_H:
If you find the occasional retune on freeview awful then you probably won't like the Vu+ ( or any alternative Linux based, or closed source 'hobbyist' boxes).

I said it looks interesting, I never said I wanted one smile My HD and SD PVRs do what I want.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Sep-15 08:57:01
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
From some articles I've flicked through in the past its sounding like the plans that Ofcom has for spectrum of Freeview could render it either incompatible with some equipment or could reduce the the spectrum so much that the amount of channels could reduce down to a limit of around 12-20 channels!

However without having a mooch on Google I wouldn't be able to comment much more, I stopped following DVB-T when I closed my business in 2013.

I had a look on this a few times, different articles, I think it will be a few years yet before much is changed, it would upset a lot of people, still a lot of SD boxes and TV sets around.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Sep-15 09:00:59
Print Post

yeah I am also able to timeshift and record as well with my vu box on a freesat signal, because the sky signals that they send down to block the function the vu box ignores smile

But if it is not a Sky box anyway, it would not get the signals sent down surly?
I have seen that you can get Sky channels on the box using Vix, but it looks like it is over the net and looking at some of the videos on You Tube, the quality is a bit hit and miss.

In regards to what davey said, yes the hobbyist boxes do also occasionally need retuning, but vix has the autobouquetsmaker, so its automated, I just run that once every 3 months or so. Also it grabs a 7 day EPG automatically from the internet every night.

As I said, it looks interesting, do it stop recording when it grabs the EPG? My mates Humax Freesat box seems to stop recording at 3 in the norming to look for updates, he is not happy when that happens.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Sep-15 09:02:56
Print Post

There is more options to play around with yes, but do you need to configure? no.

The default setup will work out of the box fine on a sky dish.

Most people only have one dish pointed at sky. This is what I am assuming in this thread, not some advanced user using euro satellite etc.

I have only got one dish pointing at the sky, it also only got a single LNB, but it have not been used for years, the last time I put a Dsat box on it, I got no signal and that was a old Sky box about 8 years back.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 29-Sep-15 10:01:42
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

no it is satellite signal so same quality. This also includes hd channels.

youtube videos is probably down to bad encoding for the video itself.

When it grabs EPG the box carries on doing what its doing, the EPG stuff is done in the background.

One thing to note tho it does not come with storage for recordings, you need to supply your own hdd which can either be attached externally via usb or installed internally (recommended internally). Internal hdd has to be 2.5inch sata interface.

In regards to the retuning, I have never ever had the mainstream channels need retuning, usually the only affected channels are obscure one's I think once or twice some sports channels have been affected, but never bbc itv etc.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4

Edited by Chrysalis (Tue 29-Sep-15 10:03:31)

Standard User beardedwonder
(member) Tue 29-Sep-15 12:24:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
What they are doing now is going to confuse people, too many different User interfaces, with You View, Freesat freetime and now Freeview play.
No wonder people have no idea what to go for. Why not just put the Freesat freetime on Freeview?

Also how long will it be before some manufacture decides to put pay TV apps onto a Freeview Play device?

Analogue days was much easier, just turn on tv and watch, if you want to record just press a button on the video recorder.

Well if you use an aerial there will be two free 'catchup' systems and if you use a dish there will be one free catchup system. Not all that confusing.

I believe Freeview Play has been setup to stop the meddling of commercial companies in the system, so the manufacturers would be in breach of the software licence conditions if they were to alter it.

Anyone who has ever set up a video recorder will know that it's not that easy to setup, especially if the default channel the VCR was on was used by a TV channel. You can't say that a VCR setup is easier than a PVR, I plugged in the Youview box, turned it on and it automatically scans the channels. And as for recording, if you think that was easier in VCR days then I think your suffering a heady bout of nostalgia.

The problem with picking stuff up on Ebay is that you have no idea how long they will last and how they have been treated.

True, the newest Youview box is listed for at £139 from Currys then.
Standard User Davey_H
(learned) Tue 29-Sep-15 13:54:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
I have seen that you can get Sky channels on the box using Vix, but it looks like it is over the net and looking at some of the videos on You Tube, the quality is a bit hit and miss.

That's 'card sharing', and 'illegal' and quality issues are usually either because of over subscribed payservers, or the foibles of sending decryption keys over the net.

But the same softcam/EMUs that make that possible can be used to read official viewing cards.

Edited by Davey_H (Tue 29-Sep-15 13:58:48)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to