User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Davey_H
(learned) Tue 29-Sep-15 13:57:41
Print Post

Re: new channels on plusnet TV

[re: beardedwonder] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by beardedwonder:
Well if you use an aerial there will be two free 'catchup' systems and if you use a dish there will be one free catchup system. Not all that confusing.

Well not really. Both Sky and Freesat have catchup.

Edited by Davey_H (Tue 29-Sep-15 14:04:24)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Sep-15 18:11:29
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
no it is satellite signal so same quality. This also includes hd channels.

youtube videos is probably down to bad encoding for the video itself.

How can a non-sky box receive sky channels? The box don't haved a card slot by the looks of it and the videos I seen did not have a cam in either.

When it grabs EPG the box carries on doing what its doing, the EPG stuff is done in the background.

The Humax is suppose to do that as well, but still seems to interrupt recordings.

One thing to note tho it does not come with storage for recordings, you need to supply your own hdd which can either be attached externally via usb or installed internally (recommended internally). Internal hdd has to be 2.5inch sata interface.

I realised that, very strange for it not to come with storage, but then I suppose it is not really for the average Joe Public.

At least you can put the size of drive you want to, that is if it can cope with large capacity drives.
In regards to the retuning, I have never ever had the mainstream channels need retuning, usually the only affected channels are obscure one's I think once or twice some sports channels have been affected, but never bbc itv etc.
[/quote

As I said it seems very interesting and maybe if i was more interested in Tv I would get one, but I would have to get a dual LNB for the dish.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Sep-15 18:22:28
Print Post

[re: beardedwonder] [link to this post]

Well if you use an aerial there will be two free 'catchup' systems and if you use a dish there will be one free catchup system. Not all that confusing.

I believe Freeview Play has been setup to stop the meddling of commercial companies in the system, so the manufacturers would be in breach of the software licence conditions if they were to alter it.

BBC was happy enough to have then on board to launch You View to start with, just typicla BBC, lets waste some more licence payers money on setting up another system

Anyone who has ever set up a video recorder will know that it's not that easy to setup, especially if the default channel the VCR was on was used by a TV channel. You can't say that a VCR setup is easier than a PVR, I plugged in the Youview box, turned it on and it automatically scans the channels. And as for recording, if you think that was easier in VCR days then I think your suffering a heady bout of nostalgia.

In the early days it was more difficult, then Video+ made it easy, my Panasonic VHS had a LCD screen on the remote which displayed the codes as you typed them in. Granted the Sanyo I replaced it with did not have video+, but then it was cheap.

Early PVRs was not easy either, the Original Tivo did not have a built in tuner. I was going to say only digital made it easier, but my old DVD recorder had a analogue tuner and had a TV guide, I think it was broadcasted on the same frequencies as channel 5. It was digital that made things a pain for a while, connecting up set top boxes to video machines or DVD recorders.

True, the newest Youview box is listed for at £139 from Currys then.

wow, that is good, cheaper than what my Digital stream cost.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User beardedwonder
(member) Tue 29-Sep-15 18:30:47
Print Post

[re: Davey_H] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Davey_H:

Well not really. Both Sky and Freesat have catchup.

I believe the full Freesat catchup service (all the FTA VOD services) is only available on the Freetime boxes. And with 'Freesat from Sky' the FTA VOD content is limited to the iplayer so not really comparable to the Freetime service.
Standard User Davey_H
(learned) Tue 29-Sep-15 18:49:43
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
How can a non-sky box receive sky channels? The box don't haved a card slot by the looks of it and the videos I seen did not have a cam in either.

The Solo 2 has both CI slots and card readers behind the front flap. The latter used with softcams will read various viewing cards

Edited by Davey_H (Tue 29-Sep-15 18:50:52)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 29-Sep-15 23:28:36
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

freesat channels dont need a card.

Premium channels can be linked to a card via softcam which emulates a card, e.g. to get channel 5 (which for some reason needs a card) I inputted my card details onto the soft cam.

So the box will bypass the need to pay sky for sky+. But it wont bypass the need to pay for premium channels (at least not what I will discuss on here).

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User Finguz
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Oct-15 15:38:30
Print Post

[re: ZenUserJP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ZenUserJP:
wow a paid for TV service is finally starting to catch up with Freeview.

A fool and their money etc..

Indeed, £1 per month for 24 months and all I get is decent quality box worth £199 that records, rewinds tv e.t.c and some great channels that are not available on freeview.

What a fool I am /facepalm

Plusnet - Unlimited Fibre - No trees were harmed in writing this post. Several electrons were, however, mildly inconvenienced.

Edited by Finguz (Thu 01-Oct-15 15:39:31)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Oct-15 16:06:09
Print Post

[re: Finguz] [link to this post]

It's odd considering PlusNet TV and BT TV have always had the freeview channels - at not point were they "behind" freeview... I had BT TV when it first launched and it was cheaper to have it with the premium channels and HD for a year than it was to be a YouView box separately.

For you to get a YouView box for £24 even if you didn't have any subscription channels is a good deal - anything else is a bonus.
Standard User ZenUserJP
(member) Sat 03-Oct-15 02:13:21
Print Post

[re: Finguz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Finguz:
In reply to a post by ZenUserJP:
wow a paid for TV service is finally starting to catch up with Freeview.

A fool and their money etc..

Indeed, £1 per month for 24 months and all I get is decent quality box worth £199 that records, rewinds tv e.t.c and some great channels that are not available on freeview.

What a fool I am /facepalm

yes you are a fool. because soon you will be back here bitching about the price rises which come as a result of deals like that.

as for decent quality Pfffft nothing Sugar makes is decent.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to