User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Sep-15 09:21:57
Print Post

new channels on plusnet TV

[link to this post]

Natgeo and nat geo wild is now on Plusnet TV, two that would interest me, also Gold, Watch and Alibi.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User ZenUserJP
(member) Tue 22-Sep-15 12:09:05
Print Post

Re: new channels on plusnet TV

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

wow a paid for TV service is finally starting to catch up with Freeview.

A fool and their money etc..
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Sep-15 13:13:14
Print Post

Really... they only just got Gold and other UK TV channels frown

Oh well, still doing better than Now TV I suppose!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Sep-15 14:02:16
Print Post

[re: ZenUserJP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ZenUserJP:
Freeview does not have Nat Geo or Nat Geo Wild.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Sep-15 16:59:05
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:

Not interested in Gold to be honest, it is Nat geo that I am interested in, but I must have a look at the guide before before I decide and then I got to make up my mind if I want to stay with Plusnet or not.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 22-Sep-15 17:16:27
Print Post

Nat Geo - owned by Fox wink
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Sep-15 18:01:05
Print Post

So tell me what do Freeview offer that is better than Plusnet TV?

If you are at Pick, Dave and yesterday, then there is not a awful lot on them to be honest, tell me where anything like Nat geo is on Freeview?

Saying that I just had a look on the guide to see what is on Nat Geo and it is not that great, more or less the same rubbish the UKTV channels show, like Ice trucker and air crash investigator. Nat geo wild don't look that much better to be honest.

I suppose for the amount of channels you get and you also get Eurosport and BT sport lite, if you are into Sport, then a it is not bad for a fiver a month.
£50 for a PVR is not bad either, the only problem is I don't think the You view box is the best box around.

My problems are
I have now cancled my Tv licence again and it is running until the end of Jan, so if I want to go for this I need to start that up again.
I am now about 6 months into a 18 month contract with Plusnet and I am not sure if I want to stay with plusnet for another 18 months.
That is it really

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Sep-15 19:04:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
£50 for a PVR is not bad either, the only problem is I don't think the You view box is the best box around.

The Youview box that Plusnet is currently supplying is rather good (the Youview+ version that records).

The comments about Freeview and Plusnet TV are rather odd - Plusnet TV is additional to Freeview, you can't have Plusnet TV without it, i.e. an aerial is required.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 65000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User binary
(member) Thu 24-Sep-15 10:18:13
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
The Youview box that Plusnet is currently supplying is rather good (the Youview+ version that records).

The comments about Freeview and Plusnet TV are rather odd - Plusnet TV is additional to Freeview, you can't have Plusnet TV without it, i.e. an aerial is required.

The comments are odd, until you realise they come from someone who appears to have a bee in their bonnet and seems to want to spend their time criticising Plusnet at every opportunity... bit sad really, getting tribal over ISPs, but such is life.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 24-Sep-15 12:05:54
Print Post

Not interested in Gold to be honest, it is Nat geo that I am interested in, but I must have a look at the guide before before I decide and then I got to make up my mind if I want to stay with Plusnet or not.

Gold has its moments for stuff like Only Fools, Porridge, Bottom & Young Ones but then discovery's, nat geo's can be a decent way to fill in the gaps of a rainy Sunday afternoon smile

I think the main sub channels currently that I can think of would be Sky 1, Fox, Comedy Central... Dave's not too bad, either for stuff like suits and Red Dwarf!

Thought if your deciding between the TV and Leaving Plusnet, my answer would be pretty biased considering the mixture of issues and bad attitudes I've experienced with them.

If you do find the TV is suitable then BT could be one to look at!

Standard User beardedwonder
(member) Thu 24-Sep-15 15:38:50
Print Post

The Youview+ box that Plusnet supply (Humax DTR-T2120) is the best Youview box on the market, by far, and possibly the best DTT box on the market depending on needs, it also looks quite good and has a small footprint. I have used four Youview PVR boxes:
Huawei DN370T (very slow, especially when recording two channels 320GB, remote lag on all screens), DN372T (an improvement on the original, not as much lag [still some], still only 320GB),
DTR-T1000 (good box much more responsive than either Huawei box, 500GB)
DTR-T2102 (quickest at turning on from standby, no lag, VOD content loads quickly as well)

The HDR-FOXT2 is the most customisable, with firmware available to allow all sorts of fiddling, the newer Humax boxes are locked down.

The killer feature for Youview is having all the main players VOD apps available and simply scrolling back in the EPG to load programmes.

N.B. Freeview Play is just around the corner and Humax are expected to release some PVRs for that soon, prices expected to start at £200.

Edited by beardedwonder (Thu 24-Sep-15 15:40:15)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Sep-15 21:47:08
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Nat Geo - owned by Fox wink

And?

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Sep-15 21:52:49
Print Post

The You View UI is still pretty slow even on newer boxes and people still complain about having problems with certain features.

I think what he is trying to say is that you pay for Plusnet TV and get nothing more for doing so that you can get on normal Freeview, which is incorrect.

Without the extra channels from BT, Talk Talk and now Plusnet, You View is nothing more than a glorified pvr with some catch up features.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Sep-15 22:06:08
Print Post

Gold has its moments for stuff like Only Fools, Porridge, Bottom & Young Ones but then discovery's, nat geo's can be a decent way to fill in the gaps of a rainy Sunday afternoon smile

I used to like Gold a few years back, in fact a lot of years back, but it is nothing like it used to be.
I think the main sub channels currently that I can think of would be Sky 1, Fox, Comedy Central... Dave's not too bad, either for stuff like suits and Red Dwarf!

Dave is free anyway on Freeview, Sky one is not available on Plusnet TV, to be honest it is only really documentary channels I am interested in, but those are not like they used to be.

Thought if your deciding between the TV and Leaving Plusnet, my answer would be pretty biased considering the mixture of issues and bad attitudes I've experienced with them.

I have stopped paying for my Tv licence and have until January until it runs out, I went without TV for 3 years because to be honest it is pretty naff. I only decided to reinstated it this year because I saw that Motors Tv was on Freeview and thought it would be good.
Turns out it is not that good.

so is it worth me keeping my Tv licence, extending my contract with plusnet, which will no doubt knock me down to 40/2 and paying £50 for the box and then a fiver a month extra just for a couple of channels I may watch?

If you do find the TV is suitable then BT could be one to look at!

I know Plusnet belongs to BT, it is still ran as a separate company and I vowed the last time I left never to go back to BT again, Awful customer service and awful broadband service, never again. Bad enough having to go with Plusnet. But at the time it was a choice btween them and Talk Talk.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Sep-15 22:09:34
Print Post

[re: beardedwonder] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by beardedwonder:

The Youview+ box that Plusnet supply (Humax DTR-T2120) is the best Youview box on the market, by far, and possibly the best DTT box on the market depending on needs, it also looks quite good and has a small footprint. I have used four Youview PVR boxes:
Huawei DN370T (very slow, especially when recording two channels 320GB, remote lag on all screens), DN372T (an improvement on the original, not as much lag [still some], still only 320GB),
DTR-T1000 (good box much more responsive than either Huawei box, 500GB)
DTR-T2102 (quickest at turning on from standby, no lag, VOD content loads quickly as well)

The HDR-FOXT2 is the most customisable, with firmware available to allow all sorts of fiddling, the newer Humax boxes are locked down.

The killer feature for Youview is having all the main players VOD apps available and simply scrolling back in the EPG to load programmes.

N.B. Freeview Play is just around the corner and Humax are expected to release some PVRs for that soon, prices expected to start at £200.

i would not bother with a Freeview play box to be honest, I got a ps3 which I can use for catchup tv and it have Netflix which I use.

I only thought of Plusnet TV for the nat geo channels, but as I said it seems like they are not that great these days. It seems like all the TV channels these days are dumb down.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
(member) Fri 25-Sep-15 00:05:59
Print Post

The You View UI is still pretty slow even on newer boxes and people still complain about having problems with certain features.

It definitely isn't slow, it's faster than any other PVR that I have used, it will even let you have VOD as PiP whilst browsing the guide with no slow down. What features are causing problems? This box is on our main set and gets used extensively without any hiccups, previous Youview boxes have been prone to crashing, not one with this one...yet!
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Sep-15 10:56:00
Print Post

Agreed, it's an excellent box, fast and no problems whatsoever. The YouView UI still isn't brilliant, but it's better than it was and the presence of a "MyView" button on the remote helps a lot.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 25-Sep-15 11:38:51
Print Post

Dave is free anyway on Freeview, Sky one is not available on Plusnet TV, to be honest it is only really documentary channels I am interested in, but those are not like they used to be

No Sky 1, thats surprising, I was put off Plusnet TV as soon as I was presented with details on the cost and the appalling lengthy re-contract I would have to do on all my services as well as taking the TV service, so I never got as far as looking at channel listings and features.

I personally thought it was just reselling BT's channels but it seems that isn't the case, or at least channels are being held back for some reason.

At the time Plusnet TV was being released I was being offered TV from Sky for £120 a year which was very temping but in the end I just binned it completely and opted for Now TV subscriptions.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Sep-15 17:28:41
Print Post

Dave is free anyway on Freeview, Sky one is not available on Plusnet TV, to be honest it is only really documentary channels I am interested in, but those are not like they used to be

No Sky 1, thats surprising, I was put off Plusnet TV as soon as I was presented with details on the cost and the appalling lengthy re-contract I would have to do on all my services as well as taking the TV service, so I never got as far as looking at channel listings and features.

I personally thought it was just reselling BT's channels but it seems that isn't the case, or at least channels are being held back for some reason.

At the time Plusnet TV was being released I was being offered TV from Sky for £120 a year which was very temping but in the end I just binned it completely and opted for Now TV subscriptions.

Price wise it is not too bad I suppose, £50 for a box if it is decent, my Digital stream HD PVr cost me £150 and that was cheap, it is getting on now and is not really supported apart from a third party. £5 a month then for the channels. That fiver do not include HD, I think it is another £3 for HD,

Entertainment package

307 Comedy Central
309 MTV
316 Fox
319 SyFy
320 Universal Channel
321 E!
322 Discovery
323 TLC
324 Investigation Discovery
325 Animal Planet
327 History
328 Crime & Investigation
331 Sony Entertainment
412 Eurosport 1
413 Eurosport 2

HD Package £3 a month extra

370 Comedy Central HD
371 MTV HD
372 Fox HD
375 SyFy HD
376 Discovery HD
378 Animal Planet HD
379 History HD
380 Crime & Investigation HD
435 Eurosport HD 1
436 Eurosport HD 2

Then Watch, Alibi, gold, Nat Geo and Nat Geo wild and BT sport 1 included, Natgeo and Nat geo wild is avaiulbe in Hd in the HD pack
Kid's Package £3 a month

480 Disney Channel
481 Disney Junior
482 Disney XD
483 Nickelodeon
484 Nick Jr.
485 Nick Toons
486 Cartoon Network
487 Boomerang
488 Cartoonito

thjen there is the BT sport channels for a fiver a month.

There are other packs as well like Entertainment extra.

I would have to recontract for another 18 months, which is ok if you are going to stay with them.

Plusnet is a cheaper service than BT and I expect BT would prefer people to go for BT instead of plusnet,. so they offer more on BT

I have a Sky now box, but I have not subscribed to it for a few months now.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
(member) Fri 25-Sep-15 18:10:19
Print Post

Agreed, it's an excellent box, fast and no problems whatsoever. The YouView UI still isn't brilliant, but it's better than it was and the presence of a "MyView" button on the remote helps a lot.

Certainly right about the MyView button, that used to be a pain with the other boxes. They seem to be updating it fairly regularly which is a good sign.

It looks like you can pick one up on ebay now for £85 so that's another option.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 25-Sep-15 23:03:30
Print Post

I think Plusnet wanted me too sign for 24 months... and I'd not long signed for 18 months at that point as well.

The Now TV service is pretty good to honest, it does need Sky to integrate the streams from Sky Go too it though... can run out of stuff too watch pretty quick, and when using it with Apple TV the stream quality (720p) is pretty good too.

I gave my white Now TV box to me mum, I found it pretty useless in my house due to the very "hostile" 2.4Ghz wireless congestion in the area, render it useless at the times it was required, I'm thinking of investing in the new one for another room but not in any rush yet.

Standard User ZenUserJP
(member) Fri 25-Sep-15 23:26:15
Print Post

I think Plusnet wanted me too sign for 24 months... and I'd not long signed for 18 months at that point as well.

The Now TV service is pretty good to honest, it does need Sky to integrate the streams from Sky Go too it though... can run out of stuff too watch pretty quick, and when using it with Apple TV the stream quality (720p) is pretty good too.

I gave my white Now TV box to me mum, I found it pretty useless in my house due to the very "hostile" 2.4Ghz wireless congestion in the area, render it useless at the times it was required, I'm thinking of investing in the new one for another room but not in any rush yet.

I'm all for a fire tv stick and a prime membership myself
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Sep-15 08:29:19
Print Post

Certainly right about the MyView button, that used to be a pain with the other boxes. They seem to be updating it fairly regularly which is a good sign.

It looks like you can pick one up on ebay now for £85 so that's another option.

I have no idea what the My View button is.
You View have only really done ok because of BT and Talk Talk throwing it at people, even the BBC have decided to abandon it. You View have not really done that well as a stand alone box. Picking one of Ebay is ok, but I do not think Plusnet will allow you to use it with their packages.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Sep-15 08:31:25
Print Post

I was a month into my contract and they offered me free 12 months for the entertainment package,, but I would still have to pay for the box and restart my contract, which was not too bad at that time. But I did not have a Tv licence at the time.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Sep-15 08:32:29
Print Post

I'm all for a fire tv stick and a prime membership myself

I tried the Amazon one as a trial and did not think much of it, difficult to find what you want and the the UI is awful,

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User binary
(member) Sat 26-Sep-15 10:29:06
Print Post

Without the extra channels from BT, Talk Talk and now Plusnet, You View is nothing more than a glorified pvr with some catch up features.

Which is kinda what it was originally intended to be.
(member) Sat 26-Sep-15 10:39:31
Print Post

I have no idea what the My View button is.
You View have only really done ok because of BT and Talk Talk throwing it at people, even the BBC have decided to abandon it. You View have not really done that well as a stand alone box. Picking one of Ebay is ok, but I do not think Plusnet will allow you to use it with their packages.

I was replying to kasg.

Saying that the BBC have decided to abandon it is to purposefully misrepresent the situation. A service was wanted that integrated all of the main FTA players VOD content in one box, commercial companies then used the platform to attempt to rival Sky's offers. It's not great for the BBC to be involved in a service that has become so commercialised, hence the new Freeview Play service.

As for picking them up on ebay, it means you can get a dual tuner, HD, Freeview PVR with all the catchup services, worth over £200 for under £100.

Edited by beardedwonder (Sat 26-Sep-15 10:41:34)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Sep-15 13:18:48
Print Post

[re: binary] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by binary:

Really, If that is so then why did they put in the provision for it to be used for Pay TV apps? Bearing in mind that BT was int his from the start as it was and is a replacement for their failed BTTV box.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Sep-15 13:27:57
Print Post

I was replying to kasg.

i realised that, but just thought I say I have no idea what a My view button is.
Saying that the BBC have decided to abandon it is to purposefully misrepresent the situation. A service was wanted that integrated all of the main FTA players VOD content in one box, commercial companies then used the platform to attempt to rival Sky's offers. It's not great for the BBC to be involved in a service that has become so commercialised, hence the new Freeview Play service.

The BBC knew very well what You View would become , they used BT money and Talk Talk eventually when they got on board to get You View off the ground and then when it seemed like it was not doing as well as they had liked they dropped it.

What they are doing now is going to confuse people, too many different User interfaces, with You View, Freesat freetime and now Freeview play.
No wonder people have no idea what to go for. Why not just put the Freesat freetime on Freeview?

Also how long will it be before some manufacture decides to put pay TV apps onto a Freeview Play device?

Analogue days was much easier, just turn on tv and watch, if you want to record just press a button on the video recorder.
[quote
As for picking them up on ebay, it means you can get a dual tuner, HD, Freeview PVR with all the catchup services, worth over £200 for under £100.
[/quote

The problem with picking stuff up on Ebay is that you have no idea how long they will last and how they have been treated.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 27-Sep-15 15:07:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by binary:

Really, If that is so then why did they put in the provision for it to be used for Pay TV apps? Bearing in mind that BT was int his from the start as it was and is a replacement for their failed BTTV box.

I also remember Alan Sugar saying something somewhere online during an interview that Youview was intended for use with IPTV

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 27-Sep-15 16:22:22
Print Post

The problem here is greed.

Freeview specs changing because the gov is selling of the airwaves to mobile carriers.

Limitations on commercial boxes on the market which appear designed to make you have to buy 2 boxes.

I am using a vu solo2 box which runs vix and I am able to stream all channels to any device from that, and in addition for things like netflix I have a firetv box but it also works fine on my ps3/ps4 devices.

Services like youview, plusnet tv, I really think are a waste of time and money. Overpriced.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Sep-15 09:28:08
Print Post

i realised that, but just thought I say I have no idea what a My view button is.

If you do not have a recent Youview remote with that button on it, then why on earth would you? It's a button to go straight to the "MyView" page that lists stored and scheduled recordings, without having to go through the multiple button presses that the old remotes required. The new remotes work on the older boxes as well.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Sep-15 11:04:49
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
The problem here is greed.

Freeview specs changing because the gov is selling of the airwaves to mobile carriers.

Limitations on commercial boxes on the market which appear designed to make you have to buy 2 boxes.

I am using a vu solo2 box which runs vix and I am able to stream all channels to any device from that, and in addition for things like netflix I have a firetv box but it also works fine on my ps3/ps4 devices.

Services like youview, plusnet tv, I really think are a waste of time and money. Overpriced.

The way Freeview works is awful, every time a channel change location or a new channal gets added, the whole system have to be retuned. I know some newer boxes and TV sets do it better, but they still muck up.
My digital stream loses all scheduled recordings one the box is retuned, I only retuned it a few weeks back for ITV4, now the community channel is moving and want to retune again, what a stupid system, as bad as DAB.

Freesat works works in a far better way.

I had a look at that Vu box and Vix, looks good to be honest, very interesting.
You view as a stand alone box is a good idea, you only really need the one box as you can use it for other services like Netflix, the problem is that apart from BT and Talk Talk it have not really been supported.
Plusnet TV is not a bad price for the basic, £5 a month for a few extra channels is ok as long as you stay with plusnet and that is the problem with BTTV, Talk Talk Tv and plusnet TV in that you have to keep to their broadband service to keep their channels.

I use my PS3 mainly for netflix and the odd bit of catch up, the Ps3 does well to be honest

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Sep-15 11:06:13
Print Post

If you do not have a recent Youview remote with that button on it, then why on earth would you? It's a button to go straight to the "MyView" page that lists stored and scheduled recordings, without having to go through the multiple button presses that the old remotes required. The new remotes work on the older boxes as well.

Ah, now I know, I only seen older boxes and thought then that it is a pain in the neck to to the what you call the My view area.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Sep-15 11:07:13
Print Post

The way Freeview works is awful, every time a channel change location or a new channal gets added, the whole system have to be retuned. I know some newer boxes and TV sets do it better, but they still muck up.

Youview boxes are some of the best in this respect, everything is done automatically and rarely goes wrong.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User Davey_H
(learned) Mon 28-Sep-15 11:30:10
Print Post

If you find the occasional retune on freeview awful then you probably won't like the Vu+ ( or any alternative Linux based, or closed source 'hobbyist' boxes).

Edited by Davey_H (Mon 28-Sep-15 11:37:57)

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Sep-15 12:01:38
Print Post

From some articles I've flicked through in the past its sounding like the plans that Ofcom has for spectrum of Freeview could render it either incompatible with some equipment or could reduce the the spectrum so much that the amount of channels could reduce down to a limit of around 12-20 channels!

However without having a mooch on Google I wouldn't be able to comment much more, I stopped following DVB-T when I closed my business in 2013.

Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Sep-15 12:13:06
Print Post

From some articles I've flicked through in the past its sounding like the plans that Ofcom has for spectrum of Freeview could render it either incompatible with some equipment or could reduce the the spectrum so much that the amount of channels could reduce down to a limit of around 12-20 channels!

The plans involve the release of all spectrum above UHF channel 49. A conversion of all but the PSB mux to DVB-T2 (which most new equipment supports, unfortunately not all - it should have been mandated by now) would easily enable the current number of channels to continue.

http://media.ofcom.org.uk/news/2014/700-mhz-statement/

Incidentally, even the option of not converting any muxes to DVB-T2 allows space for 56 SD and 8 HD channels, nowhere near the number you are suggesting.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS

Edited by kasg (Mon 28-Sep-15 12:16:25)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 28-Sep-15 12:16:56
Print Post

yeah I am also able to timeshift and record as well with my vu box on a freesat signal, because the sky signals that they send down to block the function the vu box ignores smile

In regards to what davey said, yes the hobbyist boxes do also occasionally need retuning, but vix has the autobouquetsmaker, so its automated, I just run that once every 3 months or so. Also it grabs a 7 day EPG automatically from the internet every night.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4

Edited by Chrysalis (Mon 28-Sep-15 12:19:50)

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Sep-15 12:21:02
Print Post

The plans involve the release of all spectrum above UHF channel 49. A conversion of all but the PSB mux to DVB-T2 (which most new equipment supports, unfortunately not all - it should have been mandated by now) would easily enable the current number of channels to continue.

http://media.ofcom.org.uk/news/2014/700-mhz-statement/

Incidentally, even the option of not converting any muxes to DVB-T2 allows space for 56 SD and 8 HD channels, nowhere near the number you are suggesting.

I had no idea there intention was to upgrade all to 'T2' that going to kill a lot of equipment.

Standard User Davey_H
(learned) Mon 28-Sep-15 12:48:33
Print Post

In regards to what davey said, yes the hobbyist boxes do also occasionally need retuning, but vix has the autobouquetsmaker, so its automated, I just run that once every 3 months or so. Also it grabs a 7 day EPG automatically from the internet every night.

Which is fne if all you want to do is to mimic platform channel ordering/numbering and only use a single, or couple of sats.

Even with ABM and crossEPG etc 'hobbyist' boxes still require more setup/configuration than your typical end user/platform specific box.

Edited by Davey_H (Mon 28-Sep-15 12:56:00)

Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Sep-15 15:51:59
Print Post

I had no idea there intention was to upgrade all to 'T2' that going to kill a lot of equipment.

It isn't, it's one option and a fairly unlikely one I think. Read the documents.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 28-Sep-15 17:26:52
Print Post

[re: Davey_H] [link to this post]

There is more options to play around with yes, but do you need to configure? no.

The default setup will work out of the box fine on a sky dish.

Most people only have one dish pointed at sky. This is what I am assuming in this thread, not some advanced user using euro satellite etc.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4

Edited by Chrysalis (Mon 28-Sep-15 17:27:58)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Sep-15 08:55:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by Davey_H:
If you find the occasional retune on freeview awful then you probably won't like the Vu+ ( or any alternative Linux based, or closed source 'hobbyist' boxes).

I said it looks interesting, I never said I wanted one smile My HD and SD PVRs do what I want.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Sep-15 08:57:01
Print Post

However without having a mooch on Google I wouldn't be able to comment much more, I stopped following DVB-T when I closed my business in 2013.

I had a look on this a few times, different articles, I think it will be a few years yet before much is changed, it would upset a lot of people, still a lot of SD boxes and TV sets around.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Sep-15 09:00:59
Print Post

yeah I am also able to timeshift and record as well with my vu box on a freesat signal, because the sky signals that they send down to block the function the vu box ignores smile

But if it is not a Sky box anyway, it would not get the signals sent down surly?
I have seen that you can get Sky channels on the box using Vix, but it looks like it is over the net and looking at some of the videos on You Tube, the quality is a bit hit and miss.

As I said, it looks interesting, do it stop recording when it grabs the EPG? My mates Humax Freesat box seems to stop recording at 3 in the norming to look for updates, he is not happy when that happens.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Sep-15 09:02:56
Print Post

There is more options to play around with yes, but do you need to configure? no.

The default setup will work out of the box fine on a sky dish.

Most people only have one dish pointed at sky. This is what I am assuming in this thread, not some advanced user using euro satellite etc.

I have only got one dish pointing at the sky, it also only got a single LNB, but it have not been used for years, the last time I put a Dsat box on it, I got no signal and that was a old Sky box about 8 years back.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 29-Sep-15 10:01:42
Print Post

no it is satellite signal so same quality. This also includes hd channels.

youtube videos is probably down to bad encoding for the video itself.

When it grabs EPG the box carries on doing what its doing, the EPG stuff is done in the background.

One thing to note tho it does not come with storage for recordings, you need to supply your own hdd which can either be attached externally via usb or installed internally (recommended internally). Internal hdd has to be 2.5inch sata interface.

In regards to the retuning, I have never ever had the mainstream channels need retuning, usually the only affected channels are obscure one's I think once or twice some sports channels have been affected, but never bbc itv etc.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4

Edited by Chrysalis (Tue 29-Sep-15 10:03:31)

(member) Tue 29-Sep-15 12:24:42
Print Post

What they are doing now is going to confuse people, too many different User interfaces, with You View, Freesat freetime and now Freeview play.
No wonder people have no idea what to go for. Why not just put the Freesat freetime on Freeview?

Also how long will it be before some manufacture decides to put pay TV apps onto a Freeview Play device?

Analogue days was much easier, just turn on tv and watch, if you want to record just press a button on the video recorder.

Well if you use an aerial there will be two free 'catchup' systems and if you use a dish there will be one free catchup system. Not all that confusing.

I believe Freeview Play has been setup to stop the meddling of commercial companies in the system, so the manufacturers would be in breach of the software licence conditions if they were to alter it.

Anyone who has ever set up a video recorder will know that it's not that easy to setup, especially if the default channel the VCR was on was used by a TV channel. You can't say that a VCR setup is easier than a PVR, I plugged in the Youview box, turned it on and it automatically scans the channels. And as for recording, if you think that was easier in VCR days then I think your suffering a heady bout of nostalgia.

The problem with picking stuff up on Ebay is that you have no idea how long they will last and how they have been treated.

True, the newest Youview box is listed for at £139 from Currys then.
Standard User Davey_H
(learned) Tue 29-Sep-15 13:54:44
Print Post

I have seen that you can get Sky channels on the box using Vix, but it looks like it is over the net and looking at some of the videos on You Tube, the quality is a bit hit and miss.

That's 'card sharing', and 'illegal' and quality issues are usually either because of over subscribed payservers, or the foibles of sending decryption keys over the net.

But the same softcam/EMUs that make that possible can be used to read official viewing cards.

Edited by Davey_H (Tue 29-Sep-15 13:58:48)

Standard User Davey_H
(learned) Tue 29-Sep-15 13:57:41
Print Post

Well if you use an aerial there will be two free 'catchup' systems and if you use a dish there will be one free catchup system. Not all that confusing.

Well not really. Both Sky and Freesat have catchup.

Edited by Davey_H (Tue 29-Sep-15 14:04:24)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Sep-15 18:11:29
Print Post

no it is satellite signal so same quality. This also includes hd channels.

youtube videos is probably down to bad encoding for the video itself.

How can a non-sky box receive sky channels? The box don't haved a card slot by the looks of it and the videos I seen did not have a cam in either.

When it grabs EPG the box carries on doing what its doing, the EPG stuff is done in the background.

The Humax is suppose to do that as well, but still seems to interrupt recordings.

One thing to note tho it does not come with storage for recordings, you need to supply your own hdd which can either be attached externally via usb or installed internally (recommended internally). Internal hdd has to be 2.5inch sata interface.

I realised that, very strange for it not to come with storage, but then I suppose it is not really for the average Joe Public.

At least you can put the size of drive you want to, that is if it can cope with large capacity drives.
In regards to the retuning, I have never ever had the mainstream channels need retuning, usually the only affected channels are obscure one's I think once or twice some sports channels have been affected, but never bbc itv etc.
[/quote

As I said it seems very interesting and maybe if i was more interested in Tv I would get one, but I would have to get a dual LNB for the dish.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Sep-15 18:22:28
Print Post

I believe Freeview Play has been setup to stop the meddling of commercial companies in the system, so the manufacturers would be in breach of the software licence conditions if they were to alter it.

BBC was happy enough to have then on board to launch You View to start with, just typicla BBC, lets waste some more licence payers money on setting up another system

Anyone who has ever set up a video recorder will know that it's not that easy to setup, especially if the default channel the VCR was on was used by a TV channel. You can't say that a VCR setup is easier than a PVR, I plugged in the Youview box, turned it on and it automatically scans the channels. And as for recording, if you think that was easier in VCR days then I think your suffering a heady bout of nostalgia.

In the early days it was more difficult, then Video+ made it easy, my Panasonic VHS had a LCD screen on the remote which displayed the codes as you typed them in. Granted the Sanyo I replaced it with did not have video+, but then it was cheap.

Early PVRs was not easy either, the Original Tivo did not have a built in tuner. I was going to say only digital made it easier, but my old DVD recorder had a analogue tuner and had a TV guide, I think it was broadcasted on the same frequencies as channel 5. It was digital that made things a pain for a while, connecting up set top boxes to video machines or DVD recorders.

True, the newest Youview box is listed for at £139 from Currys then.

wow, that is good, cheaper than what my Digital stream cost.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
(member) Tue 29-Sep-15 18:30:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by Davey_H:

Well not really. Both Sky and Freesat have catchup.

I believe the full Freesat catchup service (all the FTA VOD services) is only available on the Freetime boxes. And with 'Freesat from Sky' the FTA VOD content is limited to the iplayer so not really comparable to the Freetime service.
Standard User Davey_H
(learned) Tue 29-Sep-15 18:49:43
Print Post

How can a non-sky box receive sky channels? The box don't haved a card slot by the looks of it and the videos I seen did not have a cam in either.

The Solo 2 has both CI slots and card readers behind the front flap. The latter used with softcams will read various viewing cards

Edited by Davey_H (Tue 29-Sep-15 18:50:52)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 29-Sep-15 23:28:36
Print Post

freesat channels dont need a card.

Premium channels can be linked to a card via softcam which emulates a card, e.g. to get channel 5 (which for some reason needs a card) I inputted my card details onto the soft cam.

So the box will bypass the need to pay sky for sky+. But it wont bypass the need to pay for premium channels (at least not what I will discuss on here).

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User Finguz
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Oct-15 15:38:30
Print Post

Indeed, £1 per month for 24 months and all I get is decent quality box worth £199 that records, rewinds tv e.t.c and some great channels that are not available on freeview.

What a fool I am /facepalm

Plusnet - Unlimited Fibre - No trees were harmed in writing this post. Several electrons were, however, mildly inconvenienced.

Edited by Finguz (Thu 01-Oct-15 15:39:31)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Oct-15 16:06:09
Print Post

[re: Finguz] [link to this post]

It's odd considering PlusNet TV and BT TV have always had the freeview channels - at not point were they "behind" freeview... I had BT TV when it first launched and it was cheaper to have it with the premium channels and HD for a year than it was to be a YouView box separately.

For you to get a YouView box for £24 even if you didn't have any subscription channels is a good deal - anything else is a bonus.
Standard User ZenUserJP
(member) Sat 03-Oct-15 02:13:21
Print Post

[re: Finguz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Finguz:

Indeed, £1 per month for 24 months and all I get is decent quality box worth £199 that records, rewinds tv e.t.c and some great channels that are not available on freeview.

What a fool I am /facepalm

yes you are a fool. because soon you will be back here bitching about the price rises which come as a result of deals like that.

as for decent quality Pfffft nothing Sugar makes is decent.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to