User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 31-May-16 06:08:45
Print Post

Re: Advice please guys, Using Plusnet.

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
There's no evidence of that though. The PN forums are pretty quiet right now and the only issues appear to be line faults. There is no evidence that Plusnet has any network capacity issues.
I've been having buffer bloat issues for some time (according to this sites tester) but don't want to even think about it until I get the sync failure sorted on my parents line.

It might just be my Plusnet router, but it could just as easily be their end, and I have to be honest. I can't stomach trying to sort two issues at once with them right now.
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 31-May-16 07:01:03
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

mrnelster,

How does the buffer issue present itself? Would be interesting to know.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 31-May-16 10:00:46
Print Post

[re: Vorlon] [link to this post]

It's your edit re the phone line that matters to me there. Plusnet Anytime is 600 minutes of Pulse8 calls. That is a huge amount. Note also the enormous call setup charges by mainstream providers on calls outside the package. 16p on Plusnet, IIRC. That's another 16 standard minutes, and I warrant the non-standard call rates are lower too. I called Germany for seven minutes or so once last year and it cost peanuts. I'll look up the time and cost if you want smile.

The standard basic 1571 is included and works for me exactly like the BT retail one did. You only need to pay more if you want to do things like alter the message given out.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 69bertie
(regular) Tue 31-May-16 10:49:06
Print Post

I'm not too sure either. On some speedtests I get a B, sometimes a D for buffer Speedtest, Quality seems to be an 'F' too and yet they all say I'm faster than the average in the East Midlands. I might add that although I'm about 250mtrs from the fibre cabinet, the village itself is about 5 miles from the exchange.

Although I had a slight issue with speed back in January (OR came visit twice) I can say I have no regrets going with Plusnet. The couple of delays back then were a bit niggling but seemed to be more to do with OR being in control for things like appointments etc. Plusnet for their part seemed to update fairly well. But since then I've had nowt to do with CS. It just works. I didn't bother hanging on the phone though. Messages both on the forum and off were far more easier for me. I usually got a reply by the next day and if they want to contact you, will phone or send text messages to your mobile.

I download at least 200GB a month - it was 400gb back in November (would be more but currently busy on a project, so not much time to watch streaming TV). But if there are network issues, then I can't say I've noticed them. Being on the 80/20 Unlimited product I don't even think twice any more about downloading GB's of stuff. Steam / Netflix seems to flow unhindered as well too.

One thing I have noticed lately is the speedtests say I'm using IPv6 (look at the above speedtest). Not too certain what it does for me but nice to see something new

Edited by 69bertie (Tue 31-May-16 10:53:46)

Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 31-May-16 13:23:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It's your edit re the phone line that matters to me there. Plusnet Anytime is 600 minutes of Pulse8 calls. That is a huge amount. Note also the enormous call setup charges by mainstream providers on calls outside the package. 16p on Plusnet, IIRC. That's another 16 standard minutes, and I warrant the non-standard call rates are lower too. I called Germany for seven minutes or so once last year and it cost peanuts. I'll look up the time and cost if you want smile.

The standard basic 1571 is included and works for me exactly like the BT retail one did. You only need to pay more if you want to do things like alter the message given out.

RobertoS - sorry I'm confused as to 600 minutes of anytime usage with Plusnet, I didn't think there were any limits with the anytime package with geographical numbers, short of having to hang up after 60 minutes and to redial (although I've heard that not all telco's require that now). Or are you making a comparison to Pulse8?
I'd really prefer to keep my phone and broadband with the one company now as I do with Idnet.

I believe Plusnet does well on the thinkbroadband survey - so do most of the knowledgeable guys on here see Plusnet as being better than BT or Sky, particularly in speaking to someone in a UK call center who is helpful too?
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 31-May-16 13:28:53
Print Post

[re: 69bertie] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 69bertie:
I'm not too sure either. On some speedtests I get a B, sometimes a D for buffer Speedtest, Quality seems to be an 'F' too and yet they all say I'm faster than the average in the East Midlands. I might add that although I'm about 250mtrs from the fibre cabinet, the village itself is about 5 miles from the exchange.

Although I had a slight issue with speed back in January (OR came visit twice) I can say I have no regrets going with Plusnet. The couple of delays back then were a bit niggling but seemed to be more to do with OR being in control for things like appointments etc. Plusnet for their part seemed to update fairly well. But since then I've had nowt to do with CS. It just works. I didn't bother hanging on the phone though. Messages both on the forum and off were far more easier for me. I usually got a reply by the next day and if they want to contact you, will phone or send text messages to your mobile.

I download at least 200GB a month - it was 400gb back in November (would be more but currently busy on a project, so not much time to watch streaming TV). But if there are network issues, then I can't say I've noticed them. Being on the 80/20 Unlimited product I don't even think twice any more about downloading GB's of stuff. Steam / Netflix seems to flow unhindered as well too.

One thing I have noticed lately is the speedtests say I'm using IPv6 (look at the above speedtest). Not too certain what it does for me but nice to see something new

Thanks 69Bertie that's the sort of info I've been looking for. You mentioned about contact via forums, I assume you mean Plusnet have forums?
Out of interest have you been with any of the other large ISP's in recent times and if so how do they compare to PlusNet?
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Tue 31-May-16 13:36:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by Vorlon:
RobertoS - sorry I'm confused as to 600 minutes of anytime usage with Plusnet, I didn't think there were any limits with the anytime package with geographical numbers, short of having to hang up after 60 minutes and to redial (although I've heard that not all telco's require that now). Or are you making a comparison to Pulse8?

It says "Plusnet Anytime is 600 minutes of Pulse8 calls" i.e. what you pay for Plusnet Anytime would be the same as what you would pay for 600 minutes of calls with Pulse8. And the line rental's cheaper to boot. Do you make 600 minutes of calls a month (20 minutes a day)?

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 64000/20000 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Tue 31-May-16 13:38:16
Print Post

You mentioned about contact via forums, I assume you mean Plusnet have forums?

https://community.plus.net/

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 64000/20000 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User coldnebraskablue
(learned) Tue 31-May-16 13:51:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi RobertoS, and others too...

Apologies if I am hijacking this thread, not my intention, but I wanted to ask about moving line rental from BT to Pulse8. I too am with PlusNet for FTTC (as I said, line rental is with BT) and wanted to check there aren't any nasty "gotchas" if I were to move the line rental? Looks like you've done exactly this RobertoS ?

Thanks, Paul
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 31-May-16 16:16:55
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:

It says "Plusnet Anytime is 600 minutes of Pulse8 calls" i.e. what you pay for Plusnet Anytime would be the same as what you would pay for 600 minutes of calls with Pulse8. And the line rental's cheaper to boot. Do you make 600 minutes of calls a month (20 minutes a day)?

Yes it is possible I could exceed 600minutes in a month on my landline.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to