User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-Jun-16 20:08:33
Print Post

Re: Advice please guys, Using Plusnet.

[re: Vorlon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Vorlon:
zyborg47, I had a terrible service back in 2005/6 when I had a fixed 1Mbps line with Talk Talk. They launced their broadband free forever and the service took a massive dive. Support then was at 50p a minute and it took even more hassle getting away from them.
Do you think download speeds etc are suffering particularly at peak times with these "offers" or have you noticed something else?

Plusnet seemed to be the better choice over BT, because of the support option. I'm really stuck between the big ISP's as to who would suit me best.

I think you really hit the nail on the head, not much difference in the large suppliers apart from price and support, none of them are that great as they make sure you get the service you pay for, pay cheap, get cheap.
TBH, I really am getting fed up with the service we get in the UK, I thought when we went to fibre it would be better, but while it is faster, they still seem to dumb it down.

i am more in less in the same boat, I am with plusnet, but not sure if I want to stay with them, but to be honest there are not many other large providers I want to go with and I really do not want to pay the price that AAISP , XILO and other small providers charge, how ever good they may be.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-Jun-16 20:12:35
Print Post

[re: Jaggies] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Jaggies:
Anyone considering moving broadband only to Plusnet, bear in mind that if you also want Plusnet TV you can only get that if you also take line rental.

i know someone who is doing this, still with BT for line rental, myself I think he is silly, paying for things he do not use, but it is up to him.
I was thinking of it when I first came onto fibre, but it was quicker and cheaper to get a all in one as I did have a landline at the time. the problem now is that person is already with Plusnet and decide to change, they will also be moved onto another long contract.

Plusnet Tv is of no interest to me, i do not really watch TV, which is why I am thinking of getting rid of my TV licence again.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 01-Jun-16 21:07:04
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
zyborg47, I had a terrible service back in 2005/6 when I had a fixed 1Mbps line with Talk Talk. They launced their broadband free forever and the service took a massive dive. Support then was at 50p a minute and it took even more hassle getting away from them.
Do you think download speeds etc are suffering particularly at peak times with these "offers" or have you noticed something else?

Plusnet seemed to be the better choice over BT, because of the support option. I'm really stuck between the big ISP's as to who would suit me best.

I think you really hit the nail on the head, not much difference in the large suppliers apart from price and support, none of them are that great as they make sure you get the service you pay for, pay cheap, get cheap.
TBH, I really am getting fed up with the service we get in the UK, I thought when we went to fibre it would be better, but while it is faster, they still seem to dumb it down.

i am more in less in the same boat, I am with plusnet, but not sure if I want to stay with them, but to be honest there are not many other large providers I want to go with and I really do not want to pay the price that AAISP , XILO and other small providers charge, how ever good they may be.

Ideally I wouldn't move from Idnet as I have had an excellent service from them but although they have recently increased their download allowance on some of their packages recently it's not that I really need. Ideally I'd like fibre but a cap of 200GB would be fine and even half and half if there is an off peak option.

I had signed up to move to Zen recently on a simliar adsl 2+ package as it was a bit cheaper. However the order couldn't be progressed as my address was incorrect on the "SI Portal".
Ironically and talking about quality and support centres, this odd address appeared on mail to me from BT when I had my phone with them. Unlike the correct billing address they had for , newsletters would come through with this odd address on them. When I moved my telephone over to Idnet too and most correspondence stopped with BT I didn't give it another thought, until now.

Idnet have contacted BT and I'm told the entry is now correct. I just can't imagine how painful that would have been sorting it out with any other ISP. Perhaps I'm cynical, but I'm told that happens with age.
As for the odd address, it seems that some databases have this old and now defunct address on their databases for where I live and for whatever reason I believe the call centre in India used it - as it did start appearing after moving to my current address.

I'm going to have to move to one of the larger ISP's if I want fibre as the fibre pricing for the smaller ISP's is just too rich for my blood. It's just weighing up what ISP would suit me the best and so far contacting Plusnet for info has been painless.

Just wondering if anyone has found BT's new default fibre speed (54Mbps) to be worthwhile or perhaps more of a gimmick?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 01-Jun-16 23:44:10
Print Post

I have another question, this time about ISP supplied Routers and Free WiFi.

Am I right in thinking both BT & PlusNet supply their own modems and prefer you use them?

Also is it true that The BT Home Hub is used by BT to provide free WiFi to anyone in the vicinity who has allowed access?

Do PlusNet have a similiar arrangement to BT re free wifi.

If you don't use BT's HomeHub is there a conflict of interest if my question re Free WifI from the Home Hub is true?

Thanks..
Standard User Jaggies
(committed) Wed 01-Jun-16 23:55:50
Print Post

By default, the BT Home Hub has BT WiFi turned on. This is the community sharing WiFi, so in other words, BT Retail home users give up a small portion of their bandwidth and can connect to any BT WiFi hotspots for free. You can opt out of this, and it will be turned off on your Home Hub when you do. From memory, I think you can also disable it in the router yourself.

Plusnet do not have a similar service.

Brian
From September 2001 on BTopenworld Home 500/Home 1000/Home 2000. Then ADSLMax on <n>ildram. Moved to ADSL2+ from ADSL24. I'm now with plusnet on FTTC since 28/05/2014 and loving it... I'm not saying who I work for. Any opinions expressed here are my own.
Standard User rogerowalters
(learned) Wed 01-Jun-16 23:56:36
Print Post

I am a long term Plusnet user (>10 years) and switched to fibre as soon as my exchange was activated some 2 years ago; I switched to PN anytime phone service at that time. I use a 40/20 package that is no longer available with a stable service at measured at 37/17 with a monthly download of about 100Gb. I pay my line rental yearly, note that the PN contract means that you are tied in for 18 months. I am fortunate that I have had little need of support services but have been unsettled by the many changes made to what was a previously outstanding support service.
This has caused me to look other providers of which one was IDnet. My initial estimates suggest that for me IDnet may be cheaper because PN charge a significant excess for Market 1 exchanges and I do not know if other providers continue to do this.
Caveat emptor.
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 02-Jun-16 01:37:32
Print Post

[re: rogerowalters] [link to this post]

Thanks Jaggies & rogerowalters, that's good feedback.

@rogerowalters, out of interest could I ask what you quite mean by this, as it's the sort of thing that is of interest to me:-
but have been unsettled by the many changes made to what was a previously outstanding support service

Something else I might have misread on a post somewhere else on here is Plusnet providing a 40/2 fibre product. I had a look on the Plusnet site and had trouble finding the specific rates (I guess they are shown there somewhere).

My belief was as with all fibre when rounded up to the nearest 10, that they were 80/20 or 40/10. So did I read 40/2 incorrectly?

Of course there's the new BT default at 54Mbps, but I assumed that to be 54/10. So my question is, are there any advertised lower than 10Mbps upload speeds and if so, is it common?
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 02-Jun-16 07:02:29
Print Post

]

Ideally I wouldn't move from Idnet as I have had an excellent service from them but although they have recently increased their download allowance on some of their packages recently it's not that I really need. Ideally I'd like fibre but a cap of 200GB would be fine and even half and half if there is an off peak option.

I had signed up to move to Zen recently on a simliar adsl 2+ package as it was a bit cheaper. However the order couldn't be progressed as my address was incorrect on the "SI Portal".
Ironically and talking about quality and support centres, this odd address appeared on mail to me from BT when I had my phone with them. Unlike the correct billing address they had for , newsletters would come through with this odd address on them. When I moved my telephone over to Idnet too and most correspondence stopped with BT I didn't give it another thought, until now.

Idnet have contacted BT and I'm told the entry is now correct. I just can't imagine how painful that would have been sorting it out with any other ISP. Perhaps I'm cynical, but I'm told that happens with age.
As for the odd address, it seems that some databases have this old and now defunct address on their databases for where I live and for whatever reason I believe the call centre in India used it - as it did start appearing after moving to my current address.

I'm going to have to move to one of the larger ISP's if I want fibre as the fibre pricing for the smaller ISP's is just too rich for my blood. It's just weighing up what ISP would suit me the best and so far contacting Plusnet for info has been painless.

Just wondering if anyone has found BT's new default fibre speed (54Mbps) to be worthwhile or perhaps more of a gimmick?

I agree that Plusnet support is pretty good, or it was when I used it, my mate thinks it is a bit iffy sometimes, maybe because he is on broadband only smile

All I want is a provider that gives me a decent speed that allows me to stream my netflix, now TV, that is why I was ok with Allpay at 10Mb/s it dfoen what I wanted and until they had problems was pretty constant.
I do not really want toi pay more than £30 a month, i pay £31 a month at the moment and half of that is for a phone service i do not use.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 02-Jun-16 07:09:55
Print Post

I have another question, this time about ISP supplied Routers and Free WiFi.

Am I right in thinking both BT & PlusNet supply their own modems and prefer you use them?

Also is it true that The BT Home Hub is used by BT to provide free WiFi to anyone in the vicinity who has allowed access?

Do PlusNet have a similiar arrangement to BT re free wifi.

If you don't use BT's HomeHub is there a conflict of interest if my question re Free WifI from the Home Hub is true?

Thanks..

You can use your own router with plusnet, in fact when you order the service you can order without the router or you could, not sure now that they supply an all in one for fibre.

TBH, the new hub that plusnet supplies is just a modified homehub 5 I think, and it seems ok, my mate have got one and it is fine, not that he was suppose to get one, but they sent it by mistake.

BT uses something called Fon or used to be called fon or something like that, a bit of the bandwidth is used so other BT users can connect to your hub and use your internet. It used to be off by default, then BT turned it on by default, a pain in the neck, my phone when I come home kept trying to connect to my next door neighbours router instead of mine, so I disconnected the systems from my neighbours router as they will never use it. Problem solved.

You can use your own router with BT as well, but they may not give you much support if you do. i use my own router on Plusnet, well I did until a couple of weeks ago when it went wrong and changed back to the naff Sagecom.

Ah, that is a thought, I wonder if it is their naff router that is the problem.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 02-Jun-16 08:38:39
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
BT turned it on by default, a pain in the neck, my phone when I come home kept trying to connect to my next door neighbours router instead of mine, so I disconnected the systems from my neighbours router as they will never use it. Problem solved.
It would have been easier to fix the config on your phone

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to