User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Realalemadrid
(learned) Fri 03-Jun-16 21:21:55
Print Post

Re: Advice please guys, Using Plusnet.

[re: TheBaron] [link to this post]

The fact that you can see the telephone exchange does not help you at all, it is completely irrelevant, for FTTC it is the distance to the cabinet that determines your connection speed along with other factors such as thickness of copper, aluminium cables etc.
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 03-Jun-16 22:37:34
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

In fact it seems there may still be an error of my physical address vs my telephone number via the SI Portal the ISP's appear to use.
Recently it was found that where I live a very old name for the building I live in was used which I believe BT added in error when I was with them sometime ago. The result is I haven't been able to move recently when I had an impulse to move back over to Zen and stick with ADSL2+.

However if I look here http://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/when-can-i-ge... my telephone number says I can get FTTC and indicates the cab box providing it (although it looks old). But my flat address in the pull down menu (if I select that method) shows nothing available at all, but the other flats in the building I am in show FTTC available. All I can think is that there is still an issue with the BT database.
Standard User rogerowalters
(learned) Fri 03-Jun-16 23:00:55
Print Post

[re: Vorlon] [link to this post]

Customer support service has undoubtedly changed over time.
a. I guess that success brings more customers who raise more questions so over time more staff are needed who need more training and one gets the impression that the real expertise gradually gets spread thinner.
b. The hours during which customer support (on the phone) is available have been reduced for residential customers from 24 hours to 12 hours and customers are encouraged to use "chat" or questions on line. Look at the graphs to see when long waits can be expected and note that for connection faults (for most customers the most serious and troublesome) the average closure time currently exceeds the target time of 7 working days.
c. Take a look at the Community Forums, particularly those relating to fibre issues; the comments/discussion gives a clear flavour of some of the problems that can arise.

On the other hand if you are fortunate to live relatively close to your cabinet and have good line speeds shown by the BT tester, fibre broadband can be less troublesome than ADSL and give rise to less need for support.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 03-Jun-16 23:19:45
Print Post

[re: rogerowalters] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rogerowalters:
Customer support service has undoubtedly changed over time.
a. I guess that success brings more customers who raise more questions so over time more staff are needed who need more training and one gets the impression that the real expertise gradually gets spread thinner.
b. The hours during which customer support (on the phone) is available have been reduced for residential customers from 24 hours to 12 hours and customers are encouraged to use "chat" or questions on line. Look at the graphs to see when long waits can be expected and note that for connection faults (for most customers the most serious and troublesome) the average closure time currently exceeds the target time of 7 working days.
c. Take a look at the Community Forums, particularly those relating to fibre issues; the comments/discussion gives a clear flavour of some of the problems that can arise.

On the other hand if you are fortunate to live relatively close to your cabinet and have good line speeds shown by the BT tester, fibre broadband can be less troublesome than ADSL and give rise to less need for support.

Thanks rogerowalters,

I'm starting to wonder if it would be better for me to take on fibre for a year with Idnet (my current ISP) and get the 11month cost by paying up front. I'm still concerned about this BT database issue that BT appear to of messed up. After a part of this database was corrected a few weeks ago the checkers on most sites say via my telephone number I can have fibre and via my specific flat number I cannot or the checker just hangs.
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Jun-16 11:20:04
Print Post

Just tried to see if I could move to PlusNet Fibre and apparently I cannot!

Although there is Fibre available where I live the recent update to my previous incorrect address entry (that ironically BT messed up some years ago) apparently means that it hasn't been flagged as available, whilst every other flat in the block has been.

I've been given this number 0800 671 045 which is supposed to be BT wholesale to sort it out, although I'll see if Idnet can resolve the issue as they managed to get my address updated.
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 06-Jun-16 09:57:14
Print Post

Update:

Have spoken to another agent at PlusNet and my order for 40/2 has been taken. Interesting to note that if I wish to upgrade to 80/20 in the next few months that the contract will be restarted at £15pm for 24 months.

So hoping it'll go through. Thanks for all the feedback guys.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 06-Jun-16 10:43:23
Print Post

Good luck smile. Let us know when it completes.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 20-Jun-16 23:16:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Everything went through today with Plusnet ie my phone and the 38/2 Fibre Broadband. It seems to be working fine and I've gone through and checked their Hub options.
My initial speeds after 2 hours uptime are here:-

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14664...
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 20-Jun-16 23:28:55
Print Post

A bit wobbly. Are you connected wirelessly to the router rather than wireless? That could explain it.

Don't mess until after midnight tomorrow night.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 21-Jun-16 01:58:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
A bit wobbly. Are you connected wirelessly to the router rather than wireless? That could explain it.

Don't mess until after midnight tomorrow night.

Yes it is being used in wireless mode at present, although that will change soon.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to