User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ChrisAO
(member) Wed 22-Jun-16 17:18:01
Print Post

Re: Advice please guys, Using Plusnet.

[re: Vorlon] [link to this post]

You can get the actual basic line stats from the HubOne by logging into >Troubleshooting >Helpdesk. You can copy/paste to a post but best to redact the Serial number, Username, SSIDs and MAC address.

ChrisAO
Plusnet customer since June 2003.
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 22-Jun-16 18:23:37
Print Post

[re: ChrisAO] [link to this post]

Thanks ChrisAO, but i think the way things now stand as per my previous post is that Plusnet tweaked something this morning after I called them and now my line is back to where it should be.The tech guy didn't seem to be that surprised and perhaps moreover came across as though it was a common occurrence.

The only thing that is unclear is in regard to the training period and if it exists for fibre or not. I have no idea as to why their system changed my throughput (line sync speed remained the same). IF however there is a training period (as per the comments of the Plusnet Tech) I would happily except that speeds could be changeable during that time.
Standard User ChrisAO
(member) Wed 22-Jun-16 18:54:18
Print Post

They probably tweaked your previously incorrect your Current Line speed (Login required)
What does it say now? It should be the same as the BT IP Profile from the BTw Diagnostic Test

If you post the Stats, it should tell us how well the line is performing.

There is no 10 day training period on FTTC - the only training period is the first 24hours when DLM is assessing the line which is unrestrained at initial connection - it will go as fast as the Line length & SNRM will allow during that time. DLM then makes any changes during the early hours typically 0200/0300 and it's then an ongoing monitoring by DLM and it will apply further changes as/when it deems necessary, usually in the early hours again.

ChrisAO

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 23-Jun-16 01:39:35
Print Post

We seem to be in a loop.

We covered all this in this in the posts by the OP and myself timed at:-

Wed 22-Jun-16 08:04:05
Wed 22-Jun-16 08:49:59
Wed 22-Jun-16 09:03:30
Wed 22-Jun-16 09:30:11

Vorlon then unfortunately repeated much of what he said in that sequence in the post you replied to smile.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 23-Jun-16 01:47:04
Print Post

I wouldn't really call that a training period, more an initial extended daily monitoring. The monitoring starts the instant the connection is made and is not for 24 hours, it is until the end of the day after connection as long as it was connected for at least 15 minutes on the first day. So 24 hours plus the connection time on the first day.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 23-Jun-16 02:45:15
Print Post

It is worth finding the stats as Chris described, and posting them. If only for the record if anything goes wrong in the future.

As you have a static IP, which I did as well on Plusnet, it's worth setting up a thinkbroadband Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM). See mine in my sig.

A large number of people on the forums have one. It is mainly a ping monitor, though it's just occurred to me the Hub One may not support it. I expect Chris will know.

If it is supported it often helps by identifying when various events occurred. Mainly disconnection, base latency changes, and unexpected high periods.

Standard User 69bertie
(regular) Thu 23-Jun-16 05:55:57
Print Post

There is no training period. If you find things start going down the pan, get in touch with CS. Since October last year I've had 2 occasions to get in touch. with their CS. Both times required an OR visit, so not a Plusnet issue.

As for speed and congestion, maybe I'm lucky, or maybe I'm just an average customer of Plusnet, but no issues on either count. They perform well for the money. I gave up looking at the router stats long ago as well. Running TBB speedtest does me fine, oh and the BQM. Handy.

Enjoy

Standard User ChrisAO
(member) Thu 23-Jun-16 14:07:27
Print Post

[re: 69bertie] [link to this post]

As I said there is no training period. The first 24hrs is the nearest thing you could call a training period, after which DLM will apply the conditions it thinks is appropriate. And to be precise, the time period is as Roberto described.

ChrisAO

Edited by ChrisAO (Thu 23-Jun-16 14:13:24)

Standard User ChrisAO
(member) Thu 23-Jun-16 14:07:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
As you have a static IP, which I did as well on Plusnet, it's worth setting up a thinkbroadband Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM). See mine in my sig.
A large number of people on the forums have one. It is mainly a ping monitor, though it's just occurred to me the Hub One may not support it. I expect Chris will know.

I'm afraid just like any of BT's HH's, the Hub One does not permit pings either frown

ChrisAO
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-Jun-16 14:24:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by ChrisAO:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:

I'm afraid just like any of BT's HH's, the Hub One does not permit pings either frown

Line speed is currently as it was on Day1 which is good if it stays that way:-

Estimated line speed:
40Mb (This may vary between 80Mb and 80Mb) - Checked on 2016-06-06 11:07:07
Current line speed:
37 Mb

Edit: As per my other post I've ordered a basic wifi usb dongle for my laptop as the Broadband Wifi chipset really doesn't get on with the PlusNet Hub at all. It's not about range or anything like that, but if you have several windows open wifi will for want of a better description will lockup and browsers will just sit there trying to update the page. Never had issues with any previous routers wifi I've used with this laptop. Trying an upmarket Wifi USB dongle does cure the problem, hence why I'll use another wifi dongle on my laptop until all my devices that can be wired are wired.

Edited by Vorlon (Thu 23-Jun-16 14:31:22)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to