User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Aug-16 20:49:15
Print Post

A Broadband Cease order is currently progressing on which pr

[link to this post]

Congratulations Plusnet - I cancel due to the price increase and your CSA puts a cease on my line, so I cannot get a new ISP sorted tonight. Thanks a Bunch.

I didn't ask for a cease.I am cancelling due to price increases.
I've responded on the forum and to the ticket, so hopefully they can fix the mistake made by the CSA.

Not Happy.....

Steve

Edited by blfamily (Tue 02-Aug-16 20:49:44)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 02-Aug-16 20:59:37
Print Post

Re: A Broadband Cease order is currently progressing on whic

[re: blfamily] [link to this post]

Er, should have just contacted another ISP and asked them to migrate you to their service.
Standard User clivers
(learned) Tue 02-Aug-16 21:06:52
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Er, should have just contacted another ISP and asked them to migrate you to their service.

Indeed they have done what he asked for!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Aug-16 21:11:41
Print Post

I don't think so as then the moment they got the request from Superdooperfast ISP, they would demand the cancellation fee of 16 months worth of contract. The email says I can cancel, but does not mention anything about cease. I'll see what they say in the morning.

Steve
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 02-Aug-16 21:22:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by blfamily:
I don't think so as then the moment they got the request from Superdooperfast ISP, they would demand the cancellation fee of 16 months worth of contract.
That's when you tell them you are cancelling due to price increases, as it says in the email.
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Aug-16 21:28:54
Print Post

I did!!!!!

Steve
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 02-Aug-16 21:31:40
Print Post

So you've already requested a migration?
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Aug-16 21:54:00
Print Post

no, I did what the email said
We hope youíre happy with your products and services but if you do decide to leave because of these changes, we wonít apply any early termination charges. All we ask is that you call us to tell us within 30 days of getting this email and give us 14 daysí notice.^

I got this email back

We�re sorry you�ve decided to leave us because of the changes we�ve made to our home phone pricing and call rates. As agreed, because you�ve told us within 30 days of receiving the email we won�t be applying any early termination charges.

and this

This email is to confirm that your cancellation request has been processed.
Your account with us will finish on 16/08/2016.

Nothing in either says anything about a cease order. I did read on the PN Forum that someone got an email charging him some £200+ because he migrated BEFORE he contacted PN. So if he did that, and got that email, then I've done right? Oh and I'm not being charged a cease fee!

Steve

Edited by blfamily (Tue 02-Aug-16 21:55:53)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 02-Aug-16 21:58:57
Print Post

The Plusnet T&Cs say they accept the new provider's order notification as notice of cancellation and they schedule the migration to take place after the 14 day notice period.
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Aug-16 22:15:08
Print Post

In which case the email & the T&C contradict each other. The letter says ring to cancel, the T&C says you don't.

The CSA didn't ask me if I was going to give up on FTTC or whether I was migrating.

I'll get it sorted tomorrow, got to do something on my 51st birthday, so why not phone Sheffield....

TBH I might just reverse this and stay as is, buy myself a quality router and hope I get on the new network.

Steve
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 02-Aug-16 22:16:29
Print Post

Have a happy birthday wink
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Aug-16 22:19:46
Print Post

Thanks Batboy !

Steve
Standard User jb66
(committed) Wed 03-Aug-16 07:43:08
Print Post

In which case the email & the T&C contradict each other. The letter says ring to cancel, the T&C says you don't.

The CSA didn't ask me if I was going to give up on FTTC or whether I was migrating.

I'll get it sorted tomorrow, got to do something on my 51st birthday, so why not phone Sheffield....

TBH I might just reverse this and stay as is, buy myself a quality router and hope I get on the new network.

The procedure is you call plus net to say you don't accept the changes and you are notifying them you wish to migrate to a new isp with no penalty fee.

Then you join another company
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 03-Aug-16 07:59:27
Print Post

The only way to cancel via plusnet is to cease your line. They had no notification a new provider was taking over and as such had no other avenue.

Plusnet could have done nothing differently in this instance.

At this stage it may be possible to get Plusnet to stop the cancellation and cease so that you can migrate in the normal way.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 03-Aug-16 08:35:58
Print Post

[re: jb66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jb66:
The procedure is you call plus net to say you don't accept the changes and you are notifying them you wish to migrate to a new isp with no penalty fee.

Then you join another company
That's exactly what you don't do frown
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 03-Aug-16 10:09:06
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

They have sorted it and lifted the Cease,

Steve
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 03-Aug-16 10:11:13
Print Post

The problem is the process has been woolly around what you have to do when leaving a supplier because of a change in Ts&Cs/price. If you just do a migration and haven't told them it is because of the change then you become liable for charges. At some point you have to inform the supplier that you are leaving under the change of terms ruling - but it is not exactly opaque as to at what point in the process someone should do that.

It used to be easy because you had to contact the ISP to get a MAC and could give the reason then. Now that it is gaining provider led there is no simple opportunity to inform the losing supplier (it also makes retention deals somewhat more difficult to get).
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 03-Aug-16 10:51:47
Print Post

I think you mucked up on this, True plusnet could have explained things better I suppose.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 03-Aug-16 11:10:55
Print Post

Great. Switching ISP is always gaining provider led, so you do not inform the existing ISP what-so-ever. You just sign up with someone new and give the new provider the landline number. The new provider takes over and the old ISP account is automatically closed.

Of course, you would need to, at some stage notify the old ISP the reason for leaving to avoid charges on the account.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 03-Aug-16 11:26:36
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Under the new rules if a provider makes a retention deal without prompting from you then they are breaking the rules.

An ISP like PlusNet with so much automation should know if a user was sent info about a price change and migration is within the window, and the sorry you are leaving letter should hopefully ask you to confirm if the price changes are the reason for leaving and adjust any charges if you say yes.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-Aug-16 06:47:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Communication from the ISP should be clear and not rely on the customer to guess what they mean.

In this case customer was asked to inform the provider if he did not wish to accept the new charges, which he did. What it did not make clear was that he should not contactt hem until after the migration order had been placed.

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Plusnet via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Plusnet, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet,
X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Standard User Fairoaks
(newbie) Thu 04-Aug-16 10:47:08
Print Post

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

This is from the email I received from Plusnet on the 29/06/2016:

"What happens next?

We hope youíre happy with your products and services but if you do decide to leave because of these changes, we wonít apply any early termination charges. All we ask is that you call us to tell us within 30 days of getting this email and give us 14 daysí notice."
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-Aug-16 11:08:21
Print Post

[re: Fairoaks] [link to this post]

Which I understand you did.

Previously - EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Plusnet, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet,
===========
Standard User Fairoaks
(newbie) Thu 04-Aug-16 12:16:32
Print Post

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

I did.

I was surprised the "OP" wasn't given more information when ringing Plusnet of what was going happen to his account.
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-Aug-16 12:20:11
Print Post

Like I said Plusnet should have been clear in what was going to happen.

They can't just say you should have known, when you just followed their instructions.

===========
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Aug-16 13:45:17
Print Post

"if you do decide to leave because of these changes"

Perhaps if the word "leave" was changed to "migrate or terminate", the customer would understand they are two distinct processes and it must be made clear by the customer to Plusnet which option they require.

The ISPs should do more to inform customers that terminology is important; the word "leave" is too ambiguous here.

Oliver.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 05-Aug-16 03:41:24
Print Post

what did you think would happen when you rang to cancel without a migration ordered?

Cancel means stopping the service, plusnet carried out your request.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Aug-16 08:53:22
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Surely it depends on the words used by both sides. If I was looking to migrate to a new ISP following a price rise, I would call the losing ISP first to tell them that they would shortly be receiving a migration request from my chosen new ISP, tell them that this migration is because of the notified price rise and ask that a note is put on my account confirming that no termination charges are to be applied in these circumstances. I would state explicitly during this call that the losing ISP must not issue a cease order.

This is a situation where the move to gaining provider lead has arguably made things more awkward for the user.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 05-Aug-16 09:02:08
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

It was not clear from the OP that he was following the instruction from a letter. This is now apparent and it shows the shocking mess that Plusnet has engineered for itself.

Obviously, you have to contact Plusnet to tell them the price rise not acceptable and then try and negotiate a better deal. It's too late to do this after you've placed an order with a new ISP.
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Fri 05-Aug-16 10:02:56
Print Post

Re: A Broadband Cease order is currently progressing on whic *DELETED*

Post deleted by mlmclaren
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 05-Aug-16 10:04:53
Print Post

Spot on David. That is what is supposed to happen with Plusnet, except for one thing.

At the point where the user speaks to them he should not give the 14 days notice. Just request an entry on his account of the kind you suggest. There was miscommunication in this case, probably involving a less than competent CS person and perhaps careless wording by the OP. Sorted by the more competent one he later spoke to. The migration notification from the gaining ISP to the losing constitutes the required notice, this being specified in Ofcom GC 22.

Slightly different circumstances when I left Plusnet under GPL migration - I wanted to retain my referral credits. I organised this with Plusnet in just that way and notes to that effect were placed on my account. All went smoothly, the only complication being that somewhere in the process I had to give them a new direct debit authority as it involved them setting up a new (email only but with unchanged username and password) account for me to receive and pay out the credits.

The suggestion here by others of placing the migration order first would not work, assuming an online order with an efficient gaining ISP. The gaining computer system in both my phone line (BT to Pulse8) and FTTC (Plusnet to AAISP) caused me to receive automated emails from the losing providers in far less time than it would have taken to get through to Plusnet on the phone.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 05-Aug-16 10:15:00
Print Post

Obviously, you have to contact Plusnet to tell them the price rise not acceptable and then try and negotiate a better deal. It's too late to do this after you've placed an order with a new ISP.
It isn't too late. Once you receive the "Sorry you are leaving email" you can easily ring the retentions department any losing ISP and negotiate a good deal. You can cancel the order with the gaining ISP at any time up to a date typically two or three days before the migration date, with no need to give a reason for cancellation.

That two or three days is because after that point it becomes virtually impossible to stop it going through at Openreach. The gaining ISP's email giving the migration date specifies their cancellation cutoff date as well. This doesn't seem to tally with GC22 but I get the impression is accepted by them as there has to be a committed move date at some stage.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 05-Aug-16 19:42:22
Print Post

I understand your point, when he rang to cancel the call handler should have made it clear this would be a cease and prevent migration.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 16-Aug-16 09:31:51
Print Post

For all readers and long established users of this forum who should know better.

If cancelled a cease is usually applied to the line and a cost is charged.

If migrating (moving to another ISP) then there is no cease and all should be ok.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 16-Aug-16 09:49:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Could this situation be avoided if the instruction were routed only through the Gaining ISP?

The Leaving ISP e-mail could include a Code (re-born MAC) to be given by the Customer, to the Gaining ISP, to then be included in the Gaining ISPs normal notifications to the Leaving ISP of the other events about to take place.

That would apparently avoid the present uncertainties etc.
ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Tue 16-Aug-16 13:21:09
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Transfers are gaining provider led, I believe the issue here was that we were asked to cancel the account so we issued the cancellation which sends a cease request (not a transfer).

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 16-Aug-16 13:25:22
Print Post

[re: chrisparr] [link to this post]

That's because your letter said
All we ask is that you call us to tell us within 30 days of getting this email and give us 14 daysí notice.
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 16-Aug-16 15:07:56
Print Post

Agreed Chris.

Your system appears to have handled correctly, what was asked of it.

I am suggesting what may be a means of avoiding the uncertainty to the customer; by modifying the system to cope better with the customer's intentions; and by implication your e-mails in such situations, to minimise the chances of such disruptions happening.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 16-Aug-16 15:52:54
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Given that all ISPs know the implications of a cancel then a simple question when someone rings of "are you cancelling or migrating" would help resolve the issue. It appears PlusNet wish to keep to the letter of what a customer has asked for rather than helping - and as the customer may well consider coming back in future it would seem sensible to be helpful even when someone is leaving.
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 16-Aug-16 17:39:28
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Agreed that it is another and easy way to deal with it.
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 16-Aug-16 22:07:04
Print Post

Which is what I did and the CSA cancelled the contract on the 14th day. The CSA is wrong to assume I was cancelling as I said I wanted to leave because of the price increases.

Anyhow, all is sorted now.

Steve
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 16-Aug-16 22:13:58
Print Post

It seems that Chris Parr doesn't understand the problem.
Standard User ChrisAO
(member) Wed 17-Aug-16 11:02:17
Print Post

Isn't it about time Plusnet desisted from this abysmal practice Chris?
The issue has come up enough times on the Plusnet Forums, usually when a customer has the red mist because something went wrong.

Agents should not be blandly just going ahead and placing ceases when a customer says "I want to cancel", they should be saying to a customer "Do you really mean that, because this (and explain) will be the consequences ....... If you actually mean you are going to go to another provider, then just notify them you want their service and they will tell us you are migrating. We'll close your account after migration."

Plusnet used to be better than this, by continuing to just place ceases without so much as a by your leave, Plusnet has lowered itself to the bottom of the heap with those ISPs that try blocking number ports to be [censored] minded when customers try migrating away from them. perhaps that tactic will creep into Plusnet's portfolio next.

It's pretty obvious that OFCOM's abolition of MACs creates greater opportunity for this abuse to occur. There was no mix up/confusion/cease if you rang and said you wanted a MAC because you didn't accept the price rise!

ChrisAO
Plusnet customer since June 2003.
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Aug-16 11:58:25
Print Post

[re: ChrisAO] [link to this post]

I wonder if we could see more regulation come into play which will give operators no options to cease a line and only can they prepare the account for migration...

So a customer calls annoyed at price increase and exercises their right to cancel their contract is basically giving notice of a migration which could then even see the 10 day lead time squashed and speed up migrations...

Only when a migration comes up for someones line and no notice has been given should the lead time remain....

This will mean no lines should get cut off or be left without an active service unless the property the line connects to is vacant or a migration process to an alternative infrastructure is initiated...

BTInfinity - 79999/19999kbps - BT Home Hub 5A on Huawei DSLAM
VirginMedia - 77000/5250kbps - Super Hub 2ac on Over-Utilized Rust Box
SkyFibre - 39998/9995kbps - Sky Q Hub on ECI DSLAM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 17-Aug-16 12:06:31
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

That would be great. We could all just stop paying our ISP's bills smile.

The ten-day (two week really as Ofcom still think of working days being Mon-Fri) lead time on GPL migrations is to allow the user to change their mind penalty-free. That's all.

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Aug-16 12:17:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That would be great. We could all just stop paying our ISP's bills smile.

I'm not sure how you got that from what I said crazy

VirginMedia - 77000/5250kbps - Super Hub 2ac on Over-Utilized Rust Box
Standard User ChrisAO
(member) Wed 17-Aug-16 12:39:28
Print Post

I'm not sure where that comment came from either crazy
However that is a valid point about the migration times, if MACs were re-introduced it would add a level of security as it's unlikely someone malicious could get a MAC if they weren't the customer, and after the MAC was used maybe the customer could then have an option of a "faster-path" switch (jumpering changes when needed would have to be taken into account).

It's the ceases that are the real problem. Perhaps they should be the most difficult thing to do - and maybe only in circumstances where a property is vacated and the "owner" of the line and the property state an active service is not required for the near future.
This is only because re-establishing a service if incorrectly ceased does not happen in a short enough timescale. It's deplorable, there is no excuse in virtually all cases there's no reason why service can't be restored within hours. The line has not been physically disconnected. It has dial-tone, jumpers are in place, it's simply a matter of software switches which are usually done remotely.

ChrisAO
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 17-Aug-16 13:23:01
Print Post

"regulation come into play which will give operators no options to cease a line and only can they prepare the account for migration..."

That means if we don't pay they can only sue. They cannot cease the line and service they are paying their suppliers for.

"This will mean no lines should get cut off or be left without an active service unless the property the line connects to is vacant or a migration process to an alternative infrastructure is initiated..." reinforces it.

I hoped you would laugh and say that you didn't really mean precisely what you posted smile. I didn't expect you not to realise what I was joking about. My suggestion that we could simply stop paying is so off the wall you must have realised there was more to my post than the literal statement.

More seriously, say I decide to stop my broadband and landline, going satellite or completely 4G?

I wouldn't be able to.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 17-Aug-16 13:23:49
Print Post

Have you decided on your new ISP then?

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Aug-16 13:38:33
Print Post

More seriously, say I decide to stop my broadband and landline, going satellite or completely 4G?

I wouldn't be able to.

Of course you would, you would just need to start the migration process with the satellite or 4G supplier in question...

VirginMedia - 77000/5250kbps - Super Hub 2ac on Greenish Rust Box
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 17-Aug-16 14:35:33
Print Post

I hope you are following on with a jokey reply. Which doesn't alter the fact that I couldn't.

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Aug-16 15:12:43
Print Post

I hope you are following on with a jokey reply. Which doesn't alter the fact that I couldn't.

No I find this matter a serious one.... You could set up a migration from anyone to anything if the correct procedure is in place.

Alas I don't give a [censored] anymore, every time I post of this forum I get some dumb response or someone just be arrogant for the sake of it so I give up...

Stay small minded and change nothing, I suppose that's the motto round here.

(isp) Wed 17-Aug-16 16:03:22
Print Post

I certainly do understand the problem and it was myself that cancelled the cease. I was just advising of what had happened.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 17-Aug-16 16:10:32
Print Post

Then you know that the problem was caused by the following request in your email
All we ask is that you call us to tell us within 30 days of getting this email and give us 14 daysí notice
when there is no need to do that.

Has the email been changed?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 17-Aug-16 16:51:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:

No I find this matter a serious one.... You could set up a migration from anyone to anything if the correct procedure is in place.
How would you set up a migration of the line from ADSLx/FTTC to 4G? Or to a satellite service? There are also ISPs who supply phone and broadband but not phone only.

Yes, the matter of the badly worded Plusnet emails, and the poor training of frontline staff that has been known about for years so they don't automatically ask what the customer really means when intending to leave, are serious matters.

But if your normal type of post is of the kind:-
more regulation come into play which will give operators no options to cease a line and only can they prepare the account for migration
then the dumbness lies somewhere other than in the people who respond to you.

I'm wondering how I port my landline number to mobile a 4G service. Or a satellite service. What procedures do you suggest for the ISPs?

The source of the arrogance also seems to not where you think it is.

Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Aug-16 20:09:49
Print Post

Quiet fancy the new UNO Talk Surf & Fibre, but that is not going to happen just yet, may as well stay put and then move next year when the next price hike comes around.

Steve
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 17-Aug-16 20:18:21
Print Post

They certainly seem very good.

Are you getting a retention deal here then? At least they got your line sorted out very efficiently.

Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Aug-16 20:32:28
Print Post

Then you know that the problem was caused by the following request in your email
All we ask is that you call us to tell us within 30 days of getting this email and give us 14 daysí notice
when there is no need to do that.

Has the email been changed?

The account wasn't set up properly when the cease was reversed, resulting in an overpayment on this months bill. There is also a Question raised by the CSA that says £30 was taken for cessation...
Question #130717278
6:54pm, Tuesday 2 Aug 2016
£30.00 taken for written off cessation charge

As I haven't been invoiced for this I hope it is just a technicality, however if I find I have been charged once my bank statement turns up, I will be making a formal complaint. Will also put this to the
PN Forum.

And to add insult to injury the FTTC speed is worse than last week before the fault occured.Down from 70 to 43mbps

Steve

Edited by blfamily (Wed 17-Aug-16 21:42:52)

Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Aug-16 20:33:42
Print Post

Nope, just back on what I was getting before - cheap and (sometimes) cheerful broadband.

Steve
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Aug-16 21:56:29
Print Post

Well its certainly not cheerful here at the moment - I swapped to a static IP last week and my speed increased from 65mbps to 70mbps. Ignoring the time when the line was down my speeds are now 43mbps - I'm guessing DLM was not reset or is having a job to clear all the restarts.
I am now thinking of giving up with BT supported kit and going to VM on their Super Fibre Talk package, which include the talk weekend features and up to 50mbps, should be far more stable than FTTC which is awful in comparison to ADSL2+ which was fab in the old BE days.

I just want a simple stress free life!

Steve
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 17-Aug-16 22:36:29
Print Post

Very unfashionable now. Just get Pokemon Go on your phone and catch up with the world.

(I have a severe problem with adults getting hooked on that to the extent they name their children after its characters by the way wink).

I am reliably told there are several what's-its in my front garden frown.

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Aug-16 23:14:58
Print Post

In the case of a migration from xDSL service to 4G/Sat/Cable it would just be a communication between CP's confirming the requirement of a cease, this I would expect to still require a lead time in the case of someone else maybe migrating into the active line or to confirm such moves are required (if the account holder hasn't already told the losing CP about there intentions already)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 17-Aug-16 23:21:10
Print Post

You are making things up now, I'm afraid.

Start with porting the phone number and see how far you get.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 17-Aug-16 23:22:45
Print Post

People cannot migrate into an active line.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 17-Aug-16 23:27:36
Print Post

... or to confirm such moves are required (if the account holder hasn't already told the losing CP about there intentions already)
You mean the MAC system the new Ofcom system was specifically introduced to replace?
Alas I don't give a [censored] anymore, every time I post of this forum I get some dumb response or someone just be arrogant for the sake of it so I give up...

Stay small minded and change nothing, I suppose that's the motto round here.
If the cap fits ....

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Aug-16 23:55:35
Print Post

Re: A Broadband Cease order is currently progressing on whic *DELETED*

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Aug-16 07:18:01
Print Post

Very unfashionable now. Just get Pokemon Go on your phone and catch up with the world.

(I have a severe problem with adults getting hooked on that to the extent they name their children after its characters by the way wink).

I am reliably told there are several what's-its in my front garden frown.

LOL,

Steve
Standard User ChrisAO
(member) Thu 18-Aug-16 08:39:05
Print Post

Just to help give a clear perspective, some OT rubbish.
You mean the MAC system the new Ofcom system was specifically introduced to replace?...
Are you suggesting the new system has solved all the problems? - don't bother to answer - because we know it hasn't.
People cannot migrate into an active line.
Of course they can't under the current rules, the remark is irrelevant to what was said.
You are making things up now, I'm afraid.

Start with porting the phone number and see how far you get.

No he isn't, he's implying that the rules need to change, as did I.
If the cap fits ....
What a childish comment.

ChrisAO
Standard User ChrisAO
(member) Thu 18-Aug-16 08:39:36
Print Post

OK dude fine, its took you 3 posts to pick a bits of my posts which you know didn't mean what your trying to mean...
........Stay small minded and change nothing, I suppose that's the motto round here.
I tend to agree with you. There seems to be one or two round here that go round with their blinkers on, or think they are the only ones with bright ideas (or knowledge) and belittle others in the process.

ChrisAO
Standard User ChrisAO
(member) Thu 18-Aug-16 08:40:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by chrisparr:
I certainly do understand the problem and it was myself that cancelled the cease. I was just advising of what had happened.
For that we should obviously thank you for picking up and dealing with such problems.
But are you going to ensure that Plusnet procedures are changed to stop this sort of occurrence in future? I'm sure that this has been brought up before and nothing seems to have changed.
Also, if you haven't already had a look, there may be some issues with the blfamily account to be resolved as mentioned here

ChrisAO
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 18-Aug-16 11:37:34
Print Post

While you may feel aggrieved at how people reacted to a post, the way you descend and then admit to breaking the rules with language does not tend to do you any long term favours.

On a unified for all technologies migration system, it is something Ofcom is attempting to work towards, but as pointed out by many in the industry the problems with this are many especially as many smaller operators would find the a new system onerous and also the issue that some people like to retain an old service for a short while e.g. order cable and try it for a week or two before cancelling any old ADSL service.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(isp) Thu 18-Aug-16 12:04:18
Print Post

That hasn't been charged and is simply an internal ticket that wouldn't have been emailed to you, it's for our reference recording when the cease fee was removed from the account.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
(isp) Thu 18-Aug-16 12:05:16
Print Post

As all of the emails have been sent, no changes are able to be made.

I do understand that the confusion around cancelling/migrating can happen and the advisor they spoke to should have clarified which was needed/wanted.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 18-Aug-16 12:10:42
Print Post

Oh is that your last price rise?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 18-Aug-16 12:14:44
Print Post

Ummm Chris. It has been a common occurrence for years for users to be wrongly Ceased when intending to migrate. Each time the CS staff member has been, in Plusnet-speak, given some re-education.

I suggest there is a basic omission in the training courses/system. It is such a simple thing to ensure all customer-facing staff never make this mistake. Customers should not need to be aware of subtle differences in the meanings of words that in this context basically mean the same to them.

Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Thu 18-Aug-16 13:46:54
Print Post

Plusnet themselves define a cancellation as either a migration or a cessation: https://www.plus.net/help/legal/cancellation-policy/
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 18-Aug-16 14:52:02
Print Post

[re: vimto_girl] [link to this post]

I didn't say there was anything wrong with Plusnet's policy per se. What I did say is that it is the training of customer-facing staff that is consistently failing to ensure such staff unfailingly make sure precisely what the customers' intentions are.

False "Cease" orders have been placed year after year after year. It is highly distressing for customers and highly wasteful of senior staff such as Chris in this case having to correct the error and generally lower the temperature.

Correcting an individual staff member does not solve the problem. Circulating memos, as I would hope has been done more than once, does not solve the problem. It has to be a major point in the training as it causes major bad PR - mostly no doubt by word-of-mouth in real life, not in here.

Having said that, it is clear not only Plusnet have this problem, but it does seem more common than with other ISPs.

Quoting the "Legal" is pointless in that it places the onus on the leaving customer. That is not real-life, as you surely know. You and I may peruse such stuff before joining and perhaps when advising someone here, but such niceties as this one just fly below the radar for most people. Plusnet have a duty to train their staff to avoid it happening. It isn't difficult.

Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Thu 18-Aug-16 15:23:13
Print Post

I'm saying the opposite: chrisparr's excuse that a cancellation cannot be a migration and Plusnet staff only stuck to the proper definition of what was asked does not wash. It is at odds with not only ordinary language, but also Plusnet's written cancellation policy.

Edited by vimto_girl (Thu 18-Aug-16 15:27:13)

Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Aug-16 18:58:14
Print Post

Thanks for clearing that up Chris.
Now I understand the PN system is showing a broadband fault. I don't want this to go on to long - if you can do anything to get it fixed, I would be grateful.
As a matter of interest, how long is the letter saying

We�re sorry you�ve decided to leave us because of the changes we�ve made to our home phone pricing and call rates. As agreed, because you�ve told us within 30 days of receiving the email we won�t be applying any early termination charges.

valid for? I guess the 1st September?
Because if this fault takes a while to fix, then I am not going to get the option to change to Cable in time for the cut off date.

Steve
Standard User ChrisAO
(member) Fri 19-Aug-16 12:29:22
Print Post

A fault on a BT Openreach provided line or BTw/OR Broadband circuit will have no effect on you transferring to Cable - IF you mean Virgin Media Cable, they are two completely different feeds/supplies/wires.

In theory it shouldn't stop a transfer even to another BTw reseller or LLU, it may mean the fault is still present after the transfer if it's on your line. Chris Parr should be able to confirm.

ChrisAO
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Aug-16 20:51:32
Print Post

In which case I should hold fire and wait till the fault has been fixed before abandoning Plusnet.

Steve
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 19-Aug-16 21:38:39
Print Post

I don't see how that follows ("In which case ....") from:-
A fault on a BT Openreach provided line or BTw/OR Broadband circuit will have no effect on you transferring to Cable - IF you mean Virgin Media Cable, they are two completely different feeds/supplies/wires.
I thought exactly the opposite, that he meant you could move to VM cable with no worries.

Though I don't know what the "cut-off" date is that you are worried about.

Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Fri 19-Aug-16 21:40:05
Print Post

The cut off date is the point after which he will be deemed to have accepted the changed contract and would have to pay cancellation charges
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 19-Aug-16 22:11:30
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

Possibly, and thanks smile. But he has already made it clear he doesn't accept the rise. One doesn't have to leave within the 30 days, simply notify them of the intention to leave in the near future. (I know you know this, but perhaps he doesn't).

The fact the line fault may not be cleared doesn't stop him moving to VM Cable, whatever. Migrating on a BTW/OR line may be a problem if OR currently have an uncleared fault on record.

Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Sat 20-Aug-16 09:45:07
Print Post

Actually - having said you don't accept it you have to leave within 30 days https://www.plus.net/help/legal/terms/
18.3. If any change is to your material disadvantage (and isn't as set out in paragraph 18.1.5) you may end our agreement for any affected service by giving us notice of your intention to leave within 30 days' of our notice. If you do so, then:
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 20-Aug-16 10:23:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by Oldjim:
Actually - having said you don't accept it you have to leave within 30 days https://www.plus.net/help/legal/terms/
18.3. If any change is to your material disadvantage (and isn't as set out in paragraph 18.1.5) you may end our agreement for any affected service by giving us notice of your intention to leave within 30 days' of our notice. If you do so, then:
Nothing in your quote says that.
Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Sat 20-Aug-16 10:28:52
Print Post

You are correct - what I should have said that within the 30 days you must say you intend to leave but I assume that triggers the 14 days notice
I know it isn't too clear but this was asked many times in the past in relation to having a few months left on the Line Rental Saver
This is from the previous notification (I haven't had the latest one yet)
What happens next?
We hope you're happy with Plusnet's award-winning products and services, but if you do decide to leave because of these changes, we won't apply any early termination charges. All we ask is that you tell us within 30 days of getting this email and give us 14 days' notice.^ The changes will come into effect from 2nd September 2015, and you don't need to do a thing. You'll see the new charges on your first bill after that date.

Edited by Oldjim (Sat 20-Aug-16 10:31:11)

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 20-Aug-16 10:30:13
Print Post

Indeed not. 18.3 imposes a 30 day time window to give notice of termination without early termination fees following Plusnet's notification of price changes giving rise to material disadvantage.

You are free to leave at any time if you are unhappy with a price rise, but you only have a right to leave with no early termination fee if you give notice to Plusnet within 30 days of their notification of price changes. If you give notification before you receive Plusnet's notification (for example in response to a media story) or more that 30 days after Plusnet's notification, they are entitled to charge early termination fees. However, as a matter of customer courtesy and to avoid possible dispute about what constitutes notification, I would be surprised if early termination fees were levied on those who start the process to leave before they receive individual notification of the price rise, so long as the customer clearly notifies Plusnet that their departure is a consequence of the price rise.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 20-Aug-16 10:46:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by Oldjim:
You are correct - what I should have said that within the 30 days you must say you intend to leave but I assume that triggers the 14 days notice
This "14 days notice", is that actually a minimum of 14 days?
I can't see a reference to that either frown
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Aug-16 10:49:13
Print Post

Does that mean I should have a contract starting on 2 September with my new provider as that's not going to happen...

Steve
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 20-Aug-16 11:41:06
Print Post

Are you or are you not intending to move to VM cable, as you strongly implied earlier? I did ask you but you haven't replied.

If you are, then the fault on your line is irrelevant as that line is not used for VM cable, as has been pointed out. There is no need to stay with Plusnet awaiting a fix. Unless an outstanding fault report prevents a migration or number port, which seems unlikely as AAISP specifically advertise being willing to accept lines with faults.

Standard User Realalemadrid
(learned) Sat 20-Aug-16 15:09:57
Print Post

I hope you are aware that when you move to Virgin cable PlusNet will charge the £30 cessation fee as it is not a migration but a cease of your PlusNet service.
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Aug-16 16:49:38
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

Thank you for that bit of info.

Steve
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 20-Aug-16 17:14:44
Print Post

Hmmmm frown.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Aug-16 22:52:57
Print Post

Impossible to do this because Plusnet would ask for your bank card detail for the cease order as there is no way that PN would go ahead with cease order (charged to BT Wholesale or BT Openreach for the cease cost) as PN will not taken from direct debit but only in a single payment from bank card. Then you would know 'HOLD ON, I don't want a cease order, I want to transfer to other isp because of your price rise!, NOT CEASE!'.
Standard User ChrisAO
(member) Thu 25-Aug-16 09:27:07
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
Impossible to do this because Plusnet would ask for your bank card detail for the cease order .............
Where did you get that load of rhubarb from Max? IF there was any cease, as they already have a Plusnet account with the bank details it would be charged to that on the final bill, along with any refunds that may be due (any payment of rental in advance etc.)

ChrisAO
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Aug-16 16:45:00
Print Post

If Only - Lol. Anyway it was sorted, my line fault was cleared after two visits and I'm shipping out.

Steve
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to