User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Dec-16 19:34:12
Print Post

Re: Single Thread Speed Issues

[re: Kenneth] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Kenneth:
I also have static IP - gateway is psb-bng01."This is located in Southbank Point of Presence."
Same here and tests have been fine for several days now.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14820...

- although that's using the HTML tester which always produces a very jagged result for me.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Sun 18-Dec-16 16:00:10
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

You are currently connected to gateway pcn-bng04.

This is located in Colindale Point of Presence.

No problems at all although the TCP delay shows up as 31msec and 24msec (two sequential tests) which is a bit odd as my BQM shows about 15msec which matches my tracert result
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Dec-16 10:46:38
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oldjim:
No problems at all although the TCP delay shows up as 31msec and 24msec (two sequential tests) which is a bit odd as my BQM shows about 15msec which matches my tracert result
Yeah, mine shows as 43 on that test but about 16ms on my TBBQM. I assumed it was another artefact of the HTML5 test.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Dec-16 11:07:43
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Difference between TCP and ICMP, hence why we avoid the word ping during speed test

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User georgelnx
(member) Mon 19-Dec-16 16:03:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

You might want to contact Plusnet as a member of staff has posted this

I've just been talking to someone about this and it doesn't appear to be just Plusnet customers seeing this as reported here: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bt/4520224-single-t...

at https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Odd-TB...

So "could be read" as Plusnet passing the buck to you Andrew!

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Dec-16 16:26:09
Print Post

[re: georgelnx] [link to this post]

Someone may be wanting to make it look like passing the buck, but they are not.

Anyone who looks around will be providers like AAISP and Zen who've had issues and found solutions without us needing to change anything. So its not our tester or network at issue, which I'm sure some would love it to be.

May be able to produce some analysis, that will let us look at this more easily i.e. breaking down monthly speed test analysis by different ways, and this may help to identify a common link. Alas that takes time and hypothesis are not always right - so the more people test with http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest the more info we have to work with.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User longedge
(committed) Mon 19-Dec-16 17:00:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

So do people with other ISP's have this happening with their connections? I've just had THIS result. I'm currently connected to psb-ir01 Southbank.

Edited by longedge (Mon 19-Dec-16 17:05:01)

Standard User IanBB
(committed) Mon 19-Dec-16 17:13:52
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

There's something wrong somewhere because 6*1.1 doesn't come any where near 36.4 smile
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 19-Dec-16 17:18:53
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

As I pointed out earlier, the 1Mbps is a custom protocol on port 4095, which Plusnet traffic management will have at the bottom of the priority list if there is congestion.

The 6x is HTTP on port 80, with higher priority.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/16208Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User apone
(newbie) Mon 19-Dec-16 17:20:34
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

Yeah there is definitely something funny happening, you would expect if it was jsut a simple case of congestion the x1 would be 1/6 of the x6 test.

Makes no sense for the traffic management to be granting people who are running lots of concurrent downloads a x30 increase in capacity for their traffic, so I think there is something else that is breaking rather than a simple congestion issue. If it was congestion you would see slow speeds on other single thread tests.

What would be really helpful is if someone who has the problem can put a work laptop on their plusnet line using ehternet preferably, VPN into their office LAN and run the test, that will show Plusnets DPI all the traffic as VPN, so http vs flash and potential for it to be classes as p2p disappears totally and would give some real insight.

If no one has a work PC, then any ipad/iphone user get OperaVPN and connect to germany and run the speedtest from there. (Its all free!), that will do the same but will slow things a small amount as it will go via germany, but will highlight hopefully x1 and x6 are near each other,

The other strange thing is different people have different results and not sure we have any real common failure.

Some people how BNGs and swear thats the fix, but others can stay on the same BNG and then it starts working, then stops later etc. so there is something intermittent that is independent of the BNG you are on and independant of BNG or not BNG connections.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to