User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Jan-17 13:43:24
Print Post

Re: Single Thread Speed Issues

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
The behaviour people have reported here I can not see been anything else than malfunctioning traffic shaping, congestion would have it at higher speeds.

I've seen it on older ISPs when network links fail.
I encountered something similar once when I was with IDNet and got this cryptic response:

http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,29...

But the single threaded results weren't as extreme as we see with Plusnet.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Jan-17 15:23:05
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
But the single threaded results weren't as extreme as we see with Plusnet.

An LNS is a massively complicated device that probably has multiple 10Gigabit connections on the output side, and a few 40Gigabit connections on the other to the ISP core network.

The 10Gigabit connections to the 'tail' provider (e.g. BTwholesale/WBC, TalkTalk etc) has the added complexity of having to terminate a bunch of L2TP or PPP sessions. It also has to manage the traffic flow to these end user sessions so that they are not overloaded, which causes packet loss.

So sending 74mbps to you, 55mbps to me, and 68 to another customer, whilst coping with another few thousand at the same time, requires complicated software, and fast RAM storage.

Hence these things cost a fortune and if they go wrong it causes "fun" for all wink

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 - Sync as of 7th Aug 16: 55,355/10,291 kbps with G.INP
17 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial -Router: Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Jan-17 14:54:51
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Very interesting, thanks.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User georgelnx
(member) Tue 14-Feb-17 19:59:45
Print Post

[re: georgelnx] [link to this post]

Latest update
https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Odd-TB...
With regards to the poor single thread speed tests, our supplier has identified a potential problem and changes have been made. We would appreciate if you could all test again using TBB and get back to us if you are still experiencing issues. It would be helpful if you can provide a tracert to identify any routing your connections have should you still see problems when testing.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to