User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ixel
(member) Mon 20-Nov-17 10:40:58
Print Post

Re: Further downgrade of C/S

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

"You get what you pay for" generally. I follow that motto. While annoying it's usually unfortunately true.

I've never been with Plusnet but from what I read and hear it looks like it's slowly degrading into a provider that may be worse than TalkTalk Retail. I was with Zen who used to be fantastic but their customer service seems to have degraded after also suffering a line fault that was never truly fixed and slow single threaded download speeds which were never completely resolved either. I went to AAISP, but granted they are expensive and are a top tier provider as such, but was worth every penny for sure and I wouldn't dream of moving to a cheaper provider again unless their service also degraded later on (which I highly doubt it would haha).

But yeah, when prices get to the point they are at on ISP's like Plusnet then service quality is bound to drop sadly. Ofcom encourage competition and keeping prices down than actually thinking of the future in terms of technological advancement.
Standard User richi
(regular) Mon 20-Nov-17 10:55:37
Print Post

[re: Vorlon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Vorlon:
...mid to higher tier, but I'm not sure who is in that bracket now and if their pricing and reliability is good?
Check out Pulse8, a TalkTalk Business reseller (n.b., not TalkTalk Retail).

Small but very responsive when I was with them a year ago (I switched to a ridiculous Sky Black Friday deal because of cashflow).

3 km line on THTG: 18/1.2 Mb/s with Sky
Previously: BT ISDN, Nildram, Plusnet, 186k, EFH, Be*, Plusnet (again), Pulse8
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 20-Nov-17 11:42:09
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ixel:
"You get what you pay for" generally. I follow that motto. While annoying it's usually unfortunately true.

I've never been with Plusnet but from what I read and hear it looks like it's slowly degrading into a provider that may be worse than TalkTalk Retail. I was with Zen who used to be fantastic but their customer service seems to have degraded after also suffering a line fault that was never truly fixed and slow single threaded download speeds which were never completely resolved either. I went to AAISP, but granted they are expensive and are a top tier provider as such, but was worth every penny for sure and I wouldn't dream of moving to a cheaper provider again unless their service also degraded later on (which I highly doubt it would haha).

But yeah, when prices get to the point they are at on ISP's like Plusnet then service quality is bound to drop sadly. Ofcom encourage competition and keeping prices down than actually thinking of the future in terms of technological advancement.

Agreed, The main reason I came to Plusnet was also to get some idea of usage. Everything in this house is streamed so I needed to see if my usage would fit with say AAISP (who was my next want of an ISP)

Month reset on the 13th and last week was 196GB mainly streaming Netflix and IPTV, SO if it stays like this then AAISP might well be the way to go.

BT Infinity was good - I was also with Zen but never again for reasons not of normality i'm sure.

I had NowTV which is basically Skys network - it's really not good around here - Virgin Media was OK until you went past 70mbps and then the network here is strangled and in the end I walked away without penally as my Tivo was being starved of enough juice to power it - let alone the other services.

Virgin Media Business on a 30/30 line for £149 a month looks viable and I know there wouldn't be a problem with that.

I wanted EoFTTC but AAISP just stopped selling it - and TTB do it from £100 a month but I prefer something with an SLA and stuff (better than it can offer anyway)

But yes - Plusnet was mainly for the stats. At £33 a month it's not really a cheap ISP - BT is £29,99 if I just had the 55mbps speed (and then £39,99 if I don't)

Edit:: I forgot to say that to be fair Plusnet preformed the same as the ISP before it - until the 10 days were up and then it just went into meltdown. Also it was right after I added a static IP, coincidence i'm sure.

Edited by 23Prince (Mon 20-Nov-17 11:44:16)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ixel
(member) Mon 20-Nov-17 14:33:38
Print Post

I see, yeah I used to be on some kind of BT Infinity package, though it was with BT Business. I found their support wasn't amazing however, I remember leaving them a negative but truthful survey as to how an issue I had was handled and I had a call back a few weeks later asking about it. Was a waste of a phone call though as they weren't going to convince me to change my feedback as they still weren't going to help me with the issue I still had at the time. The service itself, outside of a line issue, was fine though.

Later on I moved to Zen and was with them for a few years I believe. Initially a great service but now a poor one. Now I'm with AAISP as Zen failed to provide the support I needed which instead AAISP (via TalkTalk Business) did without any hassle or hesitation, credit to Shaun and Stuart. My line's still a bit odd but it's greatly improved (getting 80/20 at about 450m distance) from what it was before the SFI engineer visits I had. Wasn't charged for any of those visits and rightfully so, my line works fine as long as I use a long shielded RJ11 to BT LJU cable direct into the test socket and my DrayTek, any other combination of cable/filter/modem seems to produce excessive downstream errors and I have no idea why haha.

I went for their SoHo::1 2TB package which is via TalkTalk Business, probably overkill though as it looks like I use around 500-600GB a month. I would've gone for a 1TB option had there been one but it was only on Home::1 and I need multiple static IP adddresses. Plus there's a quota bonus system now so I can get up to a 4TB monthly allowance depending on how I use my current allowance. The new TalkTalk Business network I'm currently trialling is also amazing, I've never had a ping of 5 to 6 milliseconds to YouTube before.

Just seems like once an ISP becomes too big they appear to lose their quality, maybe not all but certainly most. Such a shame.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 20-Nov-17 15:19:50
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ixel:
I see, yeah I used to be on some kind of BT Infinity package, though it was with BT Business. I found their support wasn't amazing however, I remember leaving them a negative but truthful survey as to how an issue I had was handled and I had a call back a few weeks later asking about it. Was a waste of a phone call though as they weren't going to convince me to change my feedback as they still weren't going to help me with the issue I still had at the time. The service itself, outside of a line issue, was fine though.

Later on I moved to Zen and was with them for a few years I believe. Initially a great service but now a poor one. Now I'm with AAISP as Zen failed to provide the support I needed which instead AAISP (via TalkTalk Business) did without any hassle or hesitation, credit to Shaun and Stuart. My line's still a bit odd but it's greatly improved (getting 80/20 at about 450m distance) from what it was before the SFI engineer visits I had. Wasn't charged for any of those visits and rightfully so, my line works fine as long as I use a long shielded RJ11 to BT LJU cable direct into the test socket and my DrayTek, any other combination of cable/filter/modem seems to produce excessive downstream errors and I have no idea why haha.

I went for their SoHo::1 2TB package which is via TalkTalk Business, probably overkill though as it looks like I use around 500-600GB a month. I would've gone for a 1TB option had there been one but it was only on Home::1 and I need multiple static IP adddresses. Plus there's a quota bonus system now so I can get up to a 4TB monthly allowance depending on how I use my current allowance. The new TalkTalk Business network I'm currently trialling is also amazing, I've never had a ping of 5 to 6 milliseconds to YouTube before.

Just seems like once an ISP becomes too big they appear to lose their quality, maybe not all but certainly most. Such a shame.

I agree with the TTB network - Talk Talk Business was my last ISP and the warrington based service was good. I do regret moving and might well move back if my usage goes over 1TB - I didn't know that TTB does not block the IPTV network when there is a football match on - Plusnet does. and although I have a HH5A with LEDE on it - I can't get the VPN to work frown

The router TTB gave me was solid - and I would use the LEDE for AAISP too when/if I get there.

I'm going to wait for a PN price rise which will surely come and then move somewhere else - possibly just go to AAISP - like you said at the start, you get what you pay for.

Edit - Oh [censored]. I forgot Netflix is no longer included in the usage figures - so that 200GB a week would be just the 4K and the TV - Hmm, Might well have to look at the 2TB myself maybe

Edited by 23Prince (Mon 20-Nov-17 15:21:13)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Nov-17 09:44:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
I didn't know that TTB does not block the IPTV network when there is a football match on - Plusnet does.

How can Plusnet describe the service provided as "Unlimited" if they are doing this?

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016) Why I left Plusnet
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Nov-17 09:52:19
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jelv:
In reply to a post by 23Prince:
I didn't know that TTB does not block the IPTV network when there is a football match on - Plusnet does.

How can Plusnet describe the service provided as "Unlimited" if they are doing this?

If that's all about this then they don't seem to have had any choice.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra - sync 79999/20000 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Nov-17 14:03:23
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

If that is what was being alluded to then correct - Plusnet had no choice.

Perhaps 23Princes statement needs amending to insert the word "yet" - if they are not blocking such streams now they will do in the not to distant future!

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016) Why I left Plusnet
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 21-Nov-17 18:03:50
Print Post

Maybe it is TalkTalk Retail that is covered, but not TalkTalk Business.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74145/13476Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 21-Nov-17 19:38:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by jelv:
If that is what was being alluded to then correct - Plusnet had no choice.

Perhaps 23Princes statement needs amending to insert the word "yet" - if they are not blocking such streams now they will do in the not to distant future!

It's not footy they block it's the whole thing. Even the freeview channels. I don't watch any football anyway but any EPL game results in this. I am considering dumping it anyway as I am going to give Virgin another try and if they block it - or the speed is finally decent the TV might follow.

Bob, TT Business don't do this, It was not until I moved from them that it started to affect me. NO idea on TT retail but I would assume so.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to