User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User binary
(member) Sun 26-Nov-17 12:04:50
Print Post

BT Sport App with Plusnet - is (Chrome)casting possible?

[link to this post]

Hi, quick question.

When you get the BT Sport App as part of a Plusnet TV subscription, does it allow you to cast to a Chromecast device (as is the case with a BT Broadband subscription) or can you only watch it on the small screen of your mobile device?

Thanks.
Standard User longedge
(committed) Sun 26-Nov-17 12:13:06
Print Post

Re: BT Sport App with Plusnet - is (Chrome)casting possible?

[re: binary] [link to this post]

I don't know the answer to the question *but* I have a lightning to HDMI cable which simply displays my iPhone screen on my TV. It also has a 'piggy back' USB plug at the HDMI end which maintains the charge on my phone. I did have a Chromecast first but found it so restrictive that I took it back, got a refund and bought the cable instead.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Nov-17 13:08:42
Print Post

[re: binary] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by binary:
When you get the BT Sport App as part of a Plusnet TV subscription, does it allow you to cast to a Chromecast device (as is the case with a BT Broadband subscription) or can you only watch it on the small screen of your mobile device?

I tried this with BT Sport from my EE contract, and it is only on the device. It blocks when I try to "airplay" to my Apple TV, so I assume the HDMI cable would be the same. Same problem with Sky Go.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 21/Oct/17: 63,430/9,688 - G.INP & 2.6 dB SNRm
18 years broadband since 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Now using Asus RT-AC88U with BT HG612 - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 26-Nov-17 13:22:16
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

What about if you use screen mirroring?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Nov-17 13:28:26
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:

I'm on iOS and I only have "airplay" as a single choice in control centre. (I've not tried casting on my Google Pixel as that doesn't have an EE SIM and is rooted so the apps don't run).

iOS asks the app's permission to "output externally" via any device, and the app has the ability to block. Sky have done this for years.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 21/Oct/17: 63,430/9,688 - G.INP & 2.6 dB SNRm
18 years broadband since 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Now using Asus RT-AC88U with BT HG612 - BQM
Standard User Davey_H
(regular) Sun 26-Nov-17 14:09:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by binary:

I tried this with BT Sport from my EE contract, and it is only on the device. It blocks when I try to "airplay" to my Apple TV, so I assume the HDMI cable would be the same. Same problem with Sky Go.

'Airplay' isn't 'Google Cast' though, and the BT Sport app definitely does support Chromecast (including via Plusnet)

To use Chromecast with the BT Sport App you must have BT Sport with BT Broadband, BT Sport on Sky or BT Sport from Plusnet broadband. You can't use Chromecast with a BT Sport App if:

You're a BT Mobile customer without BT Broadband or BT Sport on Sky
You have BT Sport as part of an EE mobile package
You have BT Sport as part of a BT Business package
You can only use Chromecast with the Apple and Android apps; not Windows 10.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44724...

Plusnet even posted a tutorial on 'Casting'

https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-c...

And if you read the first comment on the blog, then apparently you can use AirPlay too

Edited by Davey_H (Sun 26-Nov-17 14:32:15)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Nov-17 14:48:03
Print Post

[re: Davey_H] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Davey_H:
And if you read the first comment on the blog, then apparently you can use AirPlay too

Sounds like PlusNet give you more than EE smile

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 26-Nov-17 14:49:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by BatBoy:

I'm on iOS and I only have "airplay" as a single choice in control centre
This describes the difference https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204289
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Nov-17 18:14:13
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I get the same effect.

Print Thread

Jump to