User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User supernova
(experienced) Wed 27-Jun-18 18:59:06
Print Post

Far Away Cabinet

[link to this post]

So... We moved to a new build house in a small estate in Newcastle upon Tyne. After what seemed to be an eternity BT Openreach broadband checker indicated that I could finally get FTTC with a predicted speed of 80Mbps down and 20 up
I placed an order and my brand new line was activated and connected but only at 22Mbps down and 4 up.
I was told I had to wait for the obligatory 10 days before I can raise a fault. I did and the BT engineer came out today and said:
You will never get more than the speed you are getting now, the cabinet you are connected to is too far for any higher speeds and that although there are cabinets nearer to our estate we wont be connected to them because it involves crossing the metro lines!
There are around 57 houses in this estate which is still being built.
I have checked all the houses addresses on the BT checker and we are all connected to the same cabinet and will, therefore, get the same speed.
Exchange: Kenton Cabinet: 13
the postcode for the estate is NE13 8AY

my questions are:
1) can we lobby BT open reach to run the cables under the metro lines?
2) can we lobby for G.fast if the above is not feasible

if either of the above is a yes... where do I start?

many thanks

Ps I know this is plusnets section but thatís who my internet is with and part of my question is directed at them as my ISP to see wether they would be willing to help put pressure on openreach

Edited by supernova (Wed 27-Jun-18 19:14:29)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 27-Jun-18 19:51:45
Print Post

Re: Far Away Cabinet

[re: supernova] [link to this post]

Our system has you down for around 15 Mbps based on distance to cabinet 13, so lines are not performing badly given the distance involved.

On the points

1) You can lobby, but unless already ducting in place that goes under towards where cabinet 8 is the cost will be prohibitive e.g. night time work when metro not running etc
2) G.fast will do nothing as that is done by a pod attached to cab 13

The main option if you want to go for Openreach is a joint community/Openreach funding and convincing the developer to contribute too
https://communityfibre.openreach.co.uk
They can give quotes for delivering FTTP to the estate, or its own dedicated cabinet

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User supernova
(experienced) Thu 28-Jun-18 09:51:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you
Much appreciated

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sun 01-Jul-18 21:57:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by supernova:
Ps I know this is plusnets section but thatís who my internet is with and part of my question is directed at them as my ISP to see wether they would be willing to help put pressure on openreach
Oh look there's some bacon going past the window!

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016) Why I left Plusnet
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Standard User DRW
(committed) Mon 02-Jul-18 12:55:11
Print Post

The only compettition to an Openreach connection is a Virgin Media fibre - so the next task is to check with VM to seee if they will serve your development
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Jul-18 13:50:25
Print Post

[re: DRW] [link to this post]

Not the only competition, there are various fibre providers as well that do install to some areas/developments. The others are much smaller scale but given the right incentives they might be interested.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Jul-18 12:26:24
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jelv:
In reply to a post by supernova:
Oh look there's some bacon going past the window!

Dear me, that made me laugh .... thank you.

Print Thread

Jump to