User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Feb-19 12:37:21
Print Post

Re: Plusnet router/modem

[re: Carbis] [link to this post]

The fact you are sometimes syncing at 20Mbps, not 62Mbps is indicative of either 1) Line fault or 2) faulty hardware.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Feb-19 17:47:52
Print Post

[re: ady702] [link to this post]

This is my Billion VDSL2 connected to the cabinet ongoing stable connection so far:

System Up-Time 146D 18H 50M 24S
Standard User Carbis
(learned) Thu 21-Feb-19 21:17:09
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I did some searching elsewhere sometime ago (shall repeat again) and from memory it seems to be a hub One 'bug', there were various suggested 'fixes' that did not work for all users and I seemed to be in that category.... Will try different hardware - one day. But thanks for comments.
Just for info, It always syncs at 62Mbps after a power cycle. It is only after the random event it occasionally syncs at the lower speed which I think tends to point at abnormal restart rather than a line fault.
Hmmm just checked PlusNet forum and there is a long discussion on this.
The URL for anyone else interested is
https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/New-Hu...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Feb-19 00:46:30
Print Post

I would not consider this normal behaviour. I have a close friend who I visit almost weekly with a PlusNet One Hub and they have an uptime of 156 days, with a sync of 70ish Mbps. I am there now...

During this time their line has not dropped. I cannot actually see the router uptime, just the connection uptime, but they indicate it has never been turned off to their memory.

Given the PlusNet One Hub is a rebranded HH5A, I can say personally, since the more recent firmwares (possibly a few years old now) fixing the reboot issues, the BT device is quite rock solid and for most BT customers does not drop down to a 20Mbps sync.

Certainly it goes without saying, most people on BT (with HH5s) and PlusNet are not stuck at 20Mbps due to a fault accross all devices. I would suspect something re your device and/or usecase is unique. Given the "noises" you indicated earlier, I am inclined to state you have a fault device, having just put my ear against the PlusNet One Hub whilst downloading, there is a very faint, and I mean very faint high pitched noise, but nothing I would hear without pressing my ear into the device.

RE the thread, you will find any line which is not overly stable will result in disconnections. I can find you threads on disconections for every router provided by every mass market ISP in the UK. Disconnections are still not the "normal."
Standard User longedge
(committed) Fri 22-Feb-19 08:58:33
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

The disconnects that I used to suffer many times a day and still get perhaps once every 2-3 weeks were and still are logged as "PPP LCP Send Termination Request [Peer not responding]".

The change to my old modem reduced them to an almost negligible level but this appears to have been a problem for a long time e.g. THIS THREAD in the BT Community forum in 2015.
Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Fri 22-Feb-19 17:06:49
Print Post

Since posting earlier I acquired a HH6 for £10 (Gumtree) as a backup to my new PN Hub One which was going perfectly. PN Community user Baldrick has posted an excellent guide to setting up the HH6 for Plusnet on the PN website, even I can follow it! The HH6 gives identical speeds to the Hub One but its wifi is about 20% better coverage around the house so I'm continuing to use it with Hub One as a spare. No idea if the HH6 would perform better for you but maybe worth a try?
Standard User Bigshorty43
(newbie) Fri 22-Feb-19 23:12:52
Print Post

For me, I personally opted for ditching the PN supplied hub and I use a Draytek Vigor 130 modem, a Draytek Vigor 2860 for routing purposes and wired connected devices and an ASUS RT-AC86U as a wireless access point.

The reason behind this is due to what I believe to be a unique facility offered by the Vigor 130 modem to be able to adjust the SNR. Some ADSL modem were able to have the SNR adjusted to increase line speed, however VDSL modems donít usually allow this, or so I thought until someone told me the Vigor 130 was able to adjust VDSL SNR. I bought one and tried it out and I was amazed to see that my PN 80/20 profile was syncing at 79.995 Mbps on the downstream and 20.000 Mbps on the upstream, Iíve never had full sync speeds with any equipment Iíve tried in the past. It has been super steady and stable for months, and compared to other equipment Iíve tried, I find my whole internet experience a lot sharper and quicker with the Vigor 130. I was so impressed that I bought a backup ready for when my current one goes pop.
Standard User ady702
(newbie) Sun 24-Feb-19 16:32:57
Print Post

[re: Bigshorty43] [link to this post]

There is an option under WAN > SNR on the Billion which is set to default -1 ?

What did you set yours to?

Edited by ady702 (Sun 24-Feb-19 16:46:59)

Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Sun 24-Feb-19 16:53:46
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
That's not a script that's common sense - and I don't have to imply anything. I had worked there for over 10 years

Edit: and any decent tech support agent gets to know other router makes in and out - And for some people I know it's a hobby to do so.

Why have you become such an aggressive individual?

Your replies have started to become more and more obnoxious in the last 6 months. Has something happened in your personal life that has led to this?

Think you need to extract yourself from these forums for a bit for some reflection time!
Standard User Bigshorty43
(newbie) Mon 25-Feb-19 03:06:16
Print Post

I was aware the Billion 8800nl could do something similar, but was it able to adjust vdsl connections? I used the following command which bought my SNR down to 5dB from 6dB:

snr delta -5 (command could have been vdsl delta -5, canít actually remember)

The default setting is 0, and you can choose any figure between the range of 50 to -50, which gives you a good scope to make small enough tweaks, so as to get increased download / upload sync, but also ensure a steady, stable connection. I also use the Vigor 130 as it has a Lantiq chipset, with matches my ECI cabinet, I think matching chipsets is the reason I now experience a snappy and responsive internet experience. If I move to Broadcom based modems, my connection is noticeably more sluggish.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to