User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ritcH
(experienced) Sat 07-Dec-19 16:39:01
Print Post

Fibre hub router a bit dodge?

[link to this post]

Recently joined from BT, the plusnet hub connected at the same speed but the wireless performance was awful. Despite an 80/20 wired performance, wireless on 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz sitting a meter from the hub in direct line of site was 16-20/20.

I went through their recommended tweaks but nothing worked until I plugged the BT Home Hub 5 back in and now it's perfect.

I wonder if, there is a hardware issue with their hub, perhaps an issue with thermal management because it did work perfectly when it was first installed. Hard to say how long that lasted as I haven't been paying that much attention. Is this a well known problem?

Draytek 2820n

Edited by ritcH (Sat 07-Dec-19 16:42:23)

Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Dec-19 11:19:50
Print Post

Re: Fibre hub router a bit dodge?

[re: ritcH] [link to this post]

That's your issue. Putting a meter between the hub and your device would block the signal.

Just joking smile

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User Malwaremike
(experienced) Mon 09-Dec-19 12:39:00
Print Post

The Plusnet router is fine for the average user like me but its wifi is not great. I bought a BT HH6 for £10 on Gumtree and wifi improved about 20%. If anyone needs it, PN community poster Baldrick offers an excellent guide on setting up the HH6 on the PN website.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mikel543
(newbie) Mon 09-Dec-19 13:10:16
Print Post

Plusnet Hub One is a rebadged BT Homehub 5A with Lantiq chipset. The HH5 came in two versions 5A which is identical to the Plusnet router and the 5B with a broadcom chipset which can perform better as a modem on some connections. Don't know about differences in WIFi performance though.

Have you tried giving the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz bands different SSIDs as this can improve the performance of the router with some devices?
  Print Thread

Jump to